Is this a common symptom of MAV

I have a question about MAV. This morning I tried to go to church with my husband and kids. I left after only 10 minutes and sat in the car. Even though I am starting to feel better, I can’t seem to sit and listen to people. Isn’t that strange? When we have people over, I can’t wait for them to leave sometimes. I get an “uncomfortable”, “going to be dizzy” feeling. I got that sooo bad in church today. I don’t know if it’s because I am not totally comfortable there or what. My husband gets mad at me. Is this anxiety or MAV? When people come over, I feel like I have to almost keep moving to avoid that feeling. I never had this before all this MAV stuff started. Any advice?

Nance

— Begin quote from “nance”

I have a question about MAV. This morning I tried to go to church with my husband and kids. I left after only 10 minutes and sat in the car. Even though I am starting to feel better, I can’t seem to sit and listen to people. Isn’t that strange? When we have people over, I can’t wait for them to leave sometimes. I get an “uncomfortable”, “going to be dizzy” feeling. I got that sooo bad in church today. I don’t know if it’s because I am not totally comfortable there or what. My husband gets mad at me. Is this anxiety or MAV? When people come over, I feel like I have to almost keep moving to avoid that feeling. I never had this before all this MAV stuff started. Any advice?

Nance

— End quote

Nance ,

It may be a bit of both the Mav and anxiety. It has taken me a while to be around a lot of chatter, talking an noise and it still bothers me.

That is why when I do go to the store it is during off hours when not many people are there. I walk with my husband at the mall but very early before the stores are open.

I tried to go shopping during the holidays and could not do it too much noise and such. I got that uncomfortable feeling while waiting in line and almost just had to leave before i even got to check out. when I did get to my car I had to sit there with a wet rag for about 20 minutes to calm myself.

When my family was over for the holidays it was too much for me…I love them all but was very ready for everyone to go home. All the talking and less peacefulness, and what I was used to did not set well with me in my current condition.

Hubby is going to need to be patient as this is not something you can help and not something you asked for, it has taken mine a while to understand and be understanding. ( He is a Marine and former law enforcement officer very used to order in our lifes) but he has gotten much better. I started taking him with me to doctors so he could hear what they had to say and that made a difference.

Take the being around lots of people slow and in small doses and small time frames, that is what works best for me.

Like I told hubby do not want to do anything to set me back from where I have come this far.

Timeless,

I actually went with my husband and kids tonight to Chuck E. Cheese (my kids love the games there). It is about an hour away. We walked around a mall near there too. The mall was too much for me, I just wanted to leave. Chuck E. Cheese was so noisy and bright. I wanted so bad to leave but stayed for my kids. As soon as I got to the car, I felt better. I didn’t get dizzy, I just felt “funny”. Almost a woozy, nervous,“scared I’m going to get dizzy” feeling. I don’t think crowds are my thing anymore. My husband is a correctional officer, so he is used to “order” too. I am going to take him with me on the 20th to see Dr. Hain. My husband is convinced it’s all in my head. I like the idea of going to the stores during “off” hours. I am going to try that. This year, I mainly Christmas shopped on-line. Hope you are having a good day.

Nance

— Begin quote from “nance”

Timeless,

I actually went with my husband and kids tonight to Chuck E. Cheese (my kids love the games there). It is about an hour away. We walked around a mall near there too. The mall was too much for me, I just wanted to leave. Chuck E. Cheese was so noisy and bright. I wanted so bad to leave but stayed for my kids. As soon as I got to the car, I felt better. I didn’t get dizzy, I just felt “funny”. Almost a woozy, nervous,“scared I’m going to get dizzy” feeling. I don’t think crowds are my thing anymore. My husband is a correctional officer, so he is used to “order” too. I am going to take him with me on the 20th to see Dr. Hain. My husband is convinced it’s all in my head. I like the idea of going to the stores during “off” hours. I am going to try that. This year, I mainly Christmas shopped on-line. Hope you are having a good day.

Nance

— End quote

Nance

I am sure that some of this is the anxiety of not knowing when you are going to have another attack, plus the crowds do something to mess with our sensory organs.

I have heard the its all in your head scenario also, and yes it is in our heads but not the way they mean it. LOL

Going to the stores during off hours has really helped me a lot to be able to take baby steps to going back to being able to to do normal things. I go to Walmart very early in the morning. If I need to go to another store I go during the week early in the morning, I never go on Saturdays or Friday nights. I even set up my hair appointments when the fewest people are there. I do not go when the weather is bad as weather changes seem to make my symptoms worse.

I try to set up doctors appts early so I do not have to wait very long in the waiting room.

I am also looking into some natural supplements to help as i am so medication sensitive.

Nance,

I experience the same thing. I don’t think that it is anxiety related because my heart doesn’t race or pound, and my chest doesn’t get tight or any of the other anxiety expected symptoms. I have found that I cannot spend extended periods of time in places with lots of different noise coming from different directions, or rooms that have hard acoustics (lots of little echoes.) I actully require carpeted rooms for extended visits with friends, family, and relatives. Places where I feel comfortable with my surroundings (relatives and family) I still have to keep my visits short if they have wooden floors. My mother replaced her carpet recently with wooden floors and wouldn’t listen to me when I told her it would mess with me. The first time I was over there after she had removed the carpet I was falling all over the place in less than 15 minutes. I have kept my visits to less than five minutes at a time since.

Being married to a blind wife, I do have a theory as to what causes this. A room has ambient noises that we do not pay attention to. My wife can walk into most rooms, even though she can’t see a thing and give you a good idea to its size just based off of the ambient noises. My theory is that we all use this ambient noise on a subconsience level for spacial awareness. Throw in all the echoes or voices and our spacial awareness is thrown out of whack. Go too long like this and we get the symptoms that Nance describes.

If it isn’t that, then it is just simple information overload. :slight_smile:

Brian

I know that this is a confirmed symptom of vestibular disorders. The vestibular system consists of the eyes, ears, brain, neck and so on and controls balance. Anyone with a vestibular problem, and this includes vertigo, almost always has a difficult time in supermarkets, in malls, and in crowds. Brights lights, noise, lots of visual stimulation are all triggers for vertigo and vestibular problems. Even long rides in the car can set it off for us because of the world traveling around us visually for a long period of time, and this often causes car sickness. So it makes sense that anyone with MAV would probably have a similar problem with these situations since MAV usually means the person gets vertigo too. Those of us with vestibular problems have very sensitive vision because of the damage that has been done to our systems. When I was first damaged (lost my vestibular or balance system) I could not even walk on those loud, brightly patterened rugs in hotel hallways. So, it is undoubetly not something you are imagining, it is a real reaction to the stimuli around you that your eyes and ears are subjected to if it is overbearing. Ear plugs, sunglasses and avoiding too much noise and large crowds is a good idea.

Karen