I've let myself go

Just curious - Has anyone felt like they have let themselves go since the onset of mav symptoms? I used to always have a good haircut with highlights, wore makeup, dressed casual, but nice, wore jewelery. My outfits are now hooded sweatshirts with sweat pants, little to no makeup, slip-on shoes, my hair is pushed back in a head band. This is sad, but I now consider putting on chapstick makeup. :lol: An old friend of mine contacted me, I hadn’t seen her in years. I made sure I emailed her a picture of me right before the onset of this condition. I just can’t sit in a hair salon. I tried in October, the mirrors made me dizzy and the stylist spinning me around in the chair was terrible. Needless to say, I ended up with a crappy haircut. I was fidgety and in a hurry to get the heck out of there. I am in the process of growing my hair out now. I looked like a mushroom head. I was feeling so good a few weeks ago, I thought I had this condition beat! Is this how it works? It keeps coming back? I have lost my “zest” for life. I do my daily tasks, take care of the kids, take my oldest to and from school, and that is about it. I’ve lost my desire to do much else, I think because of the way I feel. Will this ever end? Sorry I’ve been such a bummer lately. However, I do feel better than when I first started experiencing symptoms. That is my bright side. Why doesn’t this just go away?

• Nance

— Begin quote from “nance”

Just curious - Has anyone felt like they have let themselves go since the onset of mav symptoms? I used to always have a good haircut with highlights, wore makeup, dressed casual, but nice, wore jewelery. My outfits are now hooded sweatshirts with sweat pants, little to no makeup, slip-on shoes, my hair is pushed back in a head band. This is sad, but I now consider putting on chapstick makeup. :lol: An old friend of mine contacted me, I hadn’t seen her in years. I made sure I emailed her a picture of me right before the onset of this condition. I just can’t sit in a hair salon. I tried in October, the mirrors made me dizzy and the stylist spinning me around in the chair was terrible. Needless to say, I ended up with a crappy haircut. I was fidgety and in a hurry to get the heck out of there. I am in the process of growing my hair out now. I looked like a mushroom head. I was feeling so good a few weeks ago, I thought I had this condition beat! Is this how it works? It keeps coming back? I have lost my “zest” for life. I do my daily tasks, take care of the kids, take my oldest to and from school, and that is about it. I’ve lost my desire to do much else, I think because of the way I feel. Will this ever end? Sorry I’ve been such a bummer lately. However, I do feel better than when I first started experiencing symptoms. That is my bright side. Why doesn’t this just go away?

• Nance

— End quote

Understand those sentiments as I worked and dressed for success everyday. These days it is sweatshirt and sweat pants.

I am hoping to get my hair done this week but it will depend on how I feel on Wednesday. The smells are what bother me the most.

I don"t think it just goes away Nance we just have to learn to deal with the best we can. We are going to have some good days, some okay days, some bad days.

Enjoy the good days and then deal with the others the best you can.

Don;t give up though then this condition wins…

I know of a couple of ladies who changed like you described after having children. Never see them in makeup anymore, usually in sweat pants and on. The one lady, a friend of my wifes used to get dressed up to go to the grocriery store. The last time I ran into her was in a grocery store and no make up, and in sweats.

Myself, I used to excercise reguraly, rode my bicycle everywhere, even after kids. I got out of the habbit of excersising when I still had a bad diagnoses because the motion just messed with my head too much. Now that I have things mostly under control, I am so out of shape, that I am having problems starting back up.

My point is that we can all lose track of ourselves with life in general. Sometimes it kids, sometimes it is a chronic condition like ours, sometimes it is a sick relative that you have to care for, sometimes it is just work. Personally, I always thought that someone who was “fixed up” all the time, had to much time on their hands. :wink:

Brian

Maybe I am being too hard on myself. I guess this is common when having a chronic illness and young children. Who has the time or energy to dress-up, do makeup, etc. on a daily basis, right? When I start to feel better, I think I’ll treat myself to a trip to the hair salon. Thanks for the input! :stuck_out_tongue:

• Nance

I understand what you are saying. I’ve kind of gone downhill since this disease but I think I have let myself go more in an emotional and social way (cause I never was a beauty queen and other than lipstick wore no makeup).

I used to love spontaneous day trips on the weekends, always had somewhere to go and something to do but now other than grocery shopping and errands that must be done I go nowhere. I am so afraid of having a vertigo attack. I never know when they are coming so I want to stay as close to home as possible. I cannot be a passenger in a car and I no longer like driving. I am single and I probably have the most pathetic social life possible. I hate living like this and so much want my life back. This disease is on my mind 99.9% of the time. I am constantly carsick and now the tinnitus is driving me crazy which really wasn’t a big problem before.

I work but wish I didn’t have to, it is so hard for me there but at least it gets me out of the house.
I can’t imagine having to deal with this and having kids. I feel for you.

Bookworm,

You describe what has happened to my social life since my symptoms started up. Although everything started the first week my oldest son was born so I can’t say which is the actual cause, or the biggest cause. I try to spend as much time at home mostly to avoid anything that will agravate my symptoms. I have lost contact with a lot of my friends because I am not willing to deal with crowds because I know that between all the noise and all the motion, I will barely be able to walk to the car even though I haven’t had a drink. It constantly makes my wife mad, but I am the only driver in the family, (my wife is blind and can’t drive) and there are a lot of times that I will refuse to go grocery shopping because I am not feeling at least 90% and scanning the shelves is another thing that will agravate things. I have to force myself out of bed to go to work, mostly because of the meds, but somedays, it is because I woke up with the start of a bad day that is only going to get worse.

Then there is the falling. I fall A LOT. This is the main reason that I spend so much time at home. When everything gets agravated I start to fall. When I say fall, I may be staggering along only to find myself on the floor. I get back up right away, look around to see if anybody saw and either go back to what I was doing or tell people not to worry, that this is normal for me. :x

But don’t get me wrong I do what I can, when I can. When I can’t, I take some valium as a preventative and go do what I need to do as long as I can, then go home and crash out on the couch. Life has become a big struggle for me, but I get through it somehow.

Brian