Just diagnosed and wanting to connect with others

This is what I have as well. I have always had horrible motion sickness. I cannot count the number of cars I threw up in as a child. My mom has that too although not to the degree that I have. I could never liked dance classes because of the twirling that you had to do. The teacher would say, “Pick a spot on the wall and then you won’t get dizzy.” Oh contaire my friend. And put me in those cup and saucer rides at the carnival, and I would be sick for sure.

These days, not only can I not be the passenger in a car, I feel like things are still in motion when I turn quickly to look at something. Things continue to swim for me for a second or town. I very much relate to the swivel chair image.

Molly

Yes, that’s the same thing I mean by motion intolerance. The reason I ask is because when having an conversation with another member of the forum we were talking about motion intolerance and quickly found out that we meant completely deferent things!

(i THOUGHT he was a little strange, this confirms it HE knows who i’m talking about :lol: )

Julie

Julie -

You asked about the Seroquel - I have no idea what amount I took. When I took it, I felt like I was in a coffin dead. I feel asleep and then woke up like a wild crazy person about 2 hours later and never slept another wink. But I was in such a terrible place of post partum and horrible insomnia. I know other people who take it and have great results for sleep. I have ADHD and respond very differently to medications than lots of people do.

Were you thinking of taking it for sleep or is it used to help with MAV?

Molly

Molly,

When i was trying to get off Ambien, which is terribly addictive, i was considering Seroquel. Seroquel is an antipsychotic at higher doses, but works great as a sleep aide at doses around 20 mg ??? so i’m told. But i’ve also been told that it can knock you out so you don’t want to get out of bed the next day - there’s at least partly an anticholinergic effect going on which i’m terribly sensitive too - not for me.

Anyway, since i’ve gone off Zoloft, which is a nervous drug, and have all this Klonopin in me, i’m sleeping like a baby. i know i’ve swapped one addictive drug for another, but better one than two. (i’m also repeating myself, but i’m very happy to be rid or Ambien) At lest Klonopin serves a greater purpose.

No Ambien does nothing for MAV. Sorry about your poor response to Seroquel, it only confirms my hunch that i would have a bad one, i don’t do well on anticholinergics.

Julie

I can’t believe I missed this post completely sorry Molly ,
I wondered where you came from.
:smiley: heeee!
I was in a little bit on withdrawal hell last month, and wasnt active on the forum.
anyway welcome and it looks as if the guys have given you some great info.
PS I’m on topa 75mg and have just stopped migrainging in the past 2 weeks.

talk soon along the way.
jen

Hi Jen -

Thank you for the welcome. I would love to know how long you have been on Topamax. My Dr. told me it could be 4-6 weeks before I feel the effects. Since I have yet to have started it because I’ve been waiting to have my husband in town, my small children back in school, and an event I’m hosting done, I was curious about how long it took to kick in for you. Has it taken away your dizziness? Do you have headaches as well or mainly just dizziness?

Another question, do any of you have days where you have no symptoms at all and feel fooled into thinking the illness is gone? I’ve had two really great days with only a little lightheadedness in the evening. I always find myself thinking, “Yea, it’s gone.” And so often it can be the calm before the storm. I also wish I knew the recipe that gave me the good days. I think it’s just my hormones unfortunately.

Thanks again,

Molly

Hi Molly

My migraine is 24/7 normally with no let up of symptoms
Aura ect…

I’ve never had migraine head pain with my mav, NO Molly, just aching around my neck shoulders and scull.
my rocking has always been more violent around my period.

I started on topa on the 10th of June 2008
With in 2 weeks my brain fog started to lift
This was a biggie for me as my brain fog and tiredness was the most disturbing part of my mav.
Rocking became a little less violent.

My Rocking stopped around 2 weeks ago
I’m not sure if this means my migraine has stopped completely, but I haven’t notice visual aura at all.
I am still feeling some motion intolerance when turning my head or walking fast.
It doesn’t matter which way I walk, just normal walking will do it.
I’m used to waddling around and using my eyes a lot.

If this helps at all my side effects on topa now are:
Very bad taste in my mouth 24/7
Tingling which isn’t of any concern to me at all, and is intermittent,
The occasional word finding problem, I called my pillbox a cupboard the other day
This is nothing for me, I’m used to being this way as my migraines present like this 24/7 anyway.
I also called my daughter by my dogs name the other day much to her surprise.
Yikes.
Topa helps me sleep.
all my ((((hugs))))) jen

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

If you have a TFT/LCD monitor (the new, flat kind) the advice is instead to use the maximum resolution possible… because they work completely different, and only look good at a single resolution; lower ones will make everything blurred. Not good for the eyes. Refresh rate doesn’t matter whatsoever on these, because they simply cannot flicker.

— End quote

Dimming the screen also helps the flicker to be less noticable to your visual pathways and possibly using a smaller sized screen. (I have a short article my physical therapist gave to me that explains why computer screens make us dizzy (M and P pathways, peripheral vision, flickering…), Molly, if you (or anyone else) is interested and would like a copy send me a message).

For me, my lcd screen on my laptop is the only computer I’m comfortable using. I wear my sunglasses quite a bit too when using computer, and look away from screen ALOT. I also constantly adjust the brightness level for the screen, and I also am constantly adjusting the lighting in the room, which seems to help. The natural light coming in from window is the most comfortable for me during the day, and a halogen lamp with dimmer at night.