Just started Celexa and I'm SCARED!

Hi all,

I just started Celexa about 45 minutes ago. I have 20 mg. pills. I’m starting at 10mg. though and breaking the pills in half. What the heck should I expect within the next few weeks. I’ll be honest, I’m freightened right now. I don’t know why, but I am. I’m afraid my dizzy’s are going to go haywire in the next few weeks. I’m just scared as hell right now. I haven’t noticed anything funny or bad yet, but my anxiety from the thought of starting this is soaring! I just turned into a huge worry wort.

How long should I be at 10 mg.? When should I bump it up to 20? Can I stay at 10mg. or is that just not enough? How much does this dizziness get worse at first? Is it possible the dizzy’s won’t get worse at all at first-cause I’d love that? So far nothing significantly bad yet, but it’s only been 45 minutes. Should have something bad happened already if it’s gonna, or am I in the clear?

Greg

Ok,

The first post was actually from yesterday, but for some reason mvertigo wasn’t working here. I just want to let you know that this morning I was quite tired when I got up, after my shower I was good and not groggy anymore. Last night I got tired around 9. I took the celexa at 10 in the morning yesterday. All day yesterday I was freaking out a little, very panicky but mainly cause my dizziness was all over the place. I found it hard to walk without grabbing on to whatever I could just so uncomfortable.

Today so far (and this has to be a coincidence), I’m soooo much better. My balance has been outstanding compared to yesterday. I’m at least back to my baseline, maybe even a little better. Of course I’ve only been up for 2 hours today so I’m sure it won’t last all day. definately not scared today. I’m a lot more chilled out than I was yesterday. I think I was just bringing in trouble my own self-but the dizzy’s were quite horrible so that kind of set off some panic in me.

Has anyone ever heard of improvement after just one day on a med? Is this a possible sign that this could be the med for me? It’s gotta be a coincidence. I’m only on 10 mg. of celexa for a day so far.

Greg

Hey Greg, that’s great that you decided to try Celexa, I hope it goes well for you! I don’t know about feeling positive impacts after just one day, maybe it’s possible–I never have had that happen, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible :lol:

I wanted to add that 10 mg can be a bit of a high starting dose for some people, so if you do feel like it’s too much, you could back down to 5 mg or even less. I started on 2.5 mg and worked up from there–5 mg then 10 mg, 15 mg and finally 20 mg.

Your dizziness could get worse, I know mine did, but it all settled down. You have to give the med time to adjust in your system. Do you have a benzo to take along with the Celexa to help with any increased anxiety you may feel? You may not feel increased anxiety, but it is a possibility and very well known potential start up side effect to many SSRIs.

Besides some stomach upset, increased anxiety and some increased dizziness were my main side effects, and the anxiety went away after about 2-3 weeks. I noticed the increased dizziness mainly around dosage increases and the few days following. My overall dizziness disappeared after 6-8 weeks.

Good luck Greg!! Try not to fret, these few weeks of getting through the ramp up time may be difficult, but think of the time you’ve lost to MAV–see if Celexa can kick it in the butt!! One day at a time…

Hi Greg,
I’m glad you started a med. I’m not a good one to ask about SSRI’s as I have had horrible side effects on them all but have had improvements on a few migraine meds. Curretly taking Depakote and Verapamil. I most definitely do not think it’s too early to see improvement. I have had this happen to me when I started 3 meds so far. When I first started Nortriptyline, I felt like my heavy head subsided the next day, this med didn’t end up working out so I went on to Depakote and literally felt my brain calm down that night I took it, and felt much better in about 2-3 days. I just recently added in Verapamil and immediately felt less dizzy, so I think it’s very possible. The only ones I felt more dizzy on right away was the SSRI’s and Topamax. I hope your improvement continues. Many on this forum seem to do well on Celexa, good luck!
Rebecca

Anne,

When you say overall dizziness, does that mean all of your dizziness is gone now? Are you clear of the dizzy’s?

Greg

Rebecca,

Thanks. I do wonder if that may be the placebo effect going on here too. Just the fact of knowing that I’m starting something that could potentially give my world back to me might have some placebo going on.

Greg

Greg, yes, my dizziness is gone now with the exception of a few days a month when I’m feeling off, or when I don’t get enough sleep, etc. But I’m not on Celexa now, I’m on Lexapro. I did get complete relief from dizziness with Celexa as well. But I stopped Celexa due to weight gain and the fact that I thought I was better. Then the dizziness and anxiety all came back a couple months later. I tried Prozac but it was too stimulating and made me feel jittery. That’s when I started Topamax.

I’m now on a combination of 100 mg Topamax and 10 mg Lexapro and feeling really good! I’m used to the start up effects of SSRIs now and they don’t phase me because I know that they are effective for me at killing the anxiety and dizziness so I power through and stick with it for the positive benefit. I just had to trial which ones were better for me.

I hope you get the same relief from Celexa!!

Hi Greg,

I just wanted to wish you luck with the Celexa. I am just starting Effexor today and hope it helps my migraines and dizzies.

Keep us posted on how it is working for you.

Take care,
Donna

Hey Greg - Good luck with Celexa! Glad you are feeling calmer today. I don’t know that it could work in a day but whether its the drug or a placebo effect -enjoy it!! I did feel the same way a few hours after I took my first verapamil and for sure that was a placebo effect but I find that fascinating. I can totally relate to that feeling of OK - I am trying something that might fix this - its empowering and that does translate into feeling better (at least a little bit!).

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Alli

Donna,

Thanks and good luck to you also with the effexor. Hopefully you won’t have to trial anymore and you’ll free of the dizzy’s.

Anne,

Thanks for the advise, that makes me feel very good right now. I just hope I don’t have a bunch of side effects just start popping up out of nowhere as I keep taking this stuff. Hopefully I would have seen all the side effects I’d get within the first few days here.

Greg

Greg,
the side effects usually start out immediately (except for weight gain and sexual issues) and get better, whereas the benefits, usually take a while to show.
I would start on 5, or 10mg (as you have) and go from there. celexa is a pretty easy drug, and has been used and beneffited by many. You should do great!! Dont fear…fear makes it all worse.
Hugs
Kelley

Greg – you can expect Cipramil to knock you around a little in the beginning. It used to make me feel dizzier in the first 2 weeks or so and then it would go and I’d be dizzy free. I also started on 10 mg in 2004 and found it easy to cope with – this from someone who usually reacts to micro-doses of everything.

Hang out at 10 mg for a couple of months and see how it goes. You might find that 10 mg is all you need to clean this up combined with lifestyle mods.

Don’t freak out though about nothing otherwise you’ll ramp up your symptoms and will think the Cipramil is doing you in. Not always easy to do I know.

S 8)

Thanks Kelley and Scott,

I’d have to say so far I’m tolerating it pretty well. I kind of freaked out the first day on it for no reason other than just my own mind :roll: . But today was fantastic. Just a little anxiety for about 5 minutes. It felt as if I drink a whole ton of caffeine or something. I really hope this med turns things around for me. It’s got good results for anxiety and panic which I think may be some of my issues. So if all goes good and I don’t run into any problems with it, maybe when the anxiety and panic go, then the dizziness might start going. That’s how I kind of see it anyway. Oh well, now we play the waiting game

Greg

— Begin quote from “beatles909”

Thanks Kelley and Scott,

I’d have to say so far I’m tolerating it pretty well. I kind of freaked out the first day on it for no reason other than just my own mind :roll: . But today was fantastic. Just a little anxiety for about 5 minutes. It felt as if I drink a whole ton of caffeine or something. I really hope this med turns things around for me. It’s got good results for anxiety and panic which I think may be some of my issues. So if all goes good and I don’t run into any problems with it, maybe when the anxiety and panic go, then the dizziness might start going. That’s how I kind of see it anyway. Oh well, now we play the waiting game

Greg

— End quote

Hi Greg, I was on Celexa for about a month and then switched to Lexapro (similar active ingredient) because the Celexa gave me a rash when I went up to 20mg.

You started Celexa at 10mg which is pretty high. I started at 5mg the first week, then 10mg the next week, etc. My initial symptoms were strong bursts of energy (almost hyperactive, like drinking too much coffee), a headache in my right temple, and then extreme drowsiness alternating with the hyperactivity. After one week I had sexual problems, but I really didn’t care that much. I started to see a change at the three week mark. The first thing I noticed was that I didn’t care about much: get to work late, no problem. Kids screaming and restless, no problem. If my car hits another car in the garage, who cares. House on fire, so what. My wife thought I was too blase, but I continued on it until I hit 20mg and got a bad rash that sent me to the emergency room.

So I switched to Lexapro and it does not have much affect on my mood or sex life. It seems cleaner than Celexa, but less sedating.

If I were you, I would not worry, just take the side effects as they come and cross your fingers and hope for the best. And congratulate yourself for taking this important step, you deserve a pat on the back.

Doug,

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I can expect to see some changes in my personal well being in the near future. Almost a new me in a way I guess. I guess me worrying about things like kids screaming, late for work and all that won’t be such a bad change anyway. I wonder what I’m gonna feel like around thanksgiving time. This experience should be interesting.

Greg

Hi,i was on celexa 8 yrs ago after my mum died. i found it made me a bit “numb”…as in less emotional. & it totally killed my sex drive. but then again I am going through menopause…lol

But i really hope it helps you, give it a few months before you decide. i found the first 3 wks were the worst, but it got better.

— Begin quote from “beatles909”

Doug,

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I can expect to see some changes in my personal well being in the near future. Almost a new me in a way I guess. I guess me worrying about things like kids screaming, late for work and all that won’t be such a bad change anyway. I wonder what I’m gonna feel like around thanksgiving time. This experience should be interesting.

Greg

— End quote

Hopefully you will be able to handle the emotional fallout on Nov 13th when the Bears beat the Lions!

Doug,

That’s why I wanted to start the Celexa now, so by that time I’ll be ready just in case we lay an egg. I do think the Bears are going down though.

Greg

Ammaretto,

Thanks, I sure hope it does the trick for me too.

Greg

Hi all,

I do have a couple of concerns, just need to see if this is normal or not. Today is my 3rd day on celexa and I actually felt high and really happy for a little bit during some of the day. Should I be concerned about Seratonin syndrome? I feel kind of strange for most of the day. I don’t have a rapid heart rate or anything. Is this just me getting used to the drug? My pupils seemed slightly dilated in the afternoon today too. There are also times I feel a little panicky and anxious. I feel like Im in some kind of mental funk right now. It’s so weird. Should I do anything about this or is this just part of deal? Are these also just the side effects?

When I read about the side effects of celexa and seratonin syndrome, some of the symptoms are for both. Should I be worried?

Greg