Ketogenic diet

Hi Guys,
I have decided to try the ketogenic diet. I see it has been covered a couple of times on here and others have given it a go. I’m pretty strict so I think I will have no problem sticking to it. Today I have eaten scrambled egg with butter for breakfast, cheese salad for lunch, bag of peanuts and haven’t had tea yet but will think of something. I think if it works your only supposed to stay on it for a short term, longest time is 2 years that you can stay on it. I am already on a gluten free diet which I started exactly one month ago. The gluten free diet has provided zero benefit so far. Although its supposed to take 6-8 weeks to work but like I say I have seen no benefit whatsoever after 4 weeks and I will probably ditch it if I don’t get any results in the next 2-3months. I have also just started taking buscopan I’m convinced there is a definete link between the stomach and migraine. I have tried buscopan before and it gave me no benefit but I’m trying it again at a higher dose and I’m really hoping this ketogenic diet works. I have had chronic migraine for well over a year. I’m still on a caffeine free diet. So now I am on a ketogenic-caffeinefree-glutenfree diet which sucks all the joy out of life but if it rids me of migraine I can put up with it for a while! I am not on any other meds. I have tried propanolol and amitrip for 3- 4 months reaching max doses with zero results in the past. I also tried sticking to 6-8 glasses of water a day for months and this had no effect. I exercise regularly already this appears to have no effect on the migraine and I have tried mebeverine and domperidone which helped when my migraines where severe but has had zero effect since I have only started the ketogenic diet today so I will keep you posted and hopefully I will be coming back on the boards in a few weeks to tell you all how marvellously it has worked! :smiley:

I hope you make intelligent choices in selecting fats, and be aware that it may be challenging for your kidneys.

Above all, keep in mind that it’s not just a matter of high fat/protein and low carb, it’s about having lots of plant food. Had a great cabrese salad for lunch. Leave out the unimportant croutons and it fits the Mediterranean diet, the ketogenic, the modified Atkins, the heal your headache, … . and it was yum.

Ive been drinking lots of water to help the whole kidney issue. Cabrese salad…never tried that but I’m going to look it up!. The ketogenic diet is really hard going for anyone that is going try it. I checked that I was in fact metabolising ketones by doing a urine dip test, ketones should show up in the urine which it has done. By day 2 of the diet my legs where achy and day 3 I have had quite bad nausea which kept coming in waves every so often to the point where I kept thinking I was about to vomit. I don’t think I have probably eaten quite enough carbs so ate some potatoes at tea time and feel a bit better. I ate a bowl of double cream and that gave me bad indigestion! Day 4 tomorrow… no improvement yet apart from giving me lots of ectopic hearts beat but those are quite innocent.

Double cream, man, Julia, why not a good-tasting unsaturated fat? Toasted sesame, . . .

Also, I thought ketosis was identifiable through your breath. Won’t those who love you tell, or did I misread this?

Haha yes that is true a ketogenic diet gives you weird smelling breath. I read that it smells like pineapple when your in ketogenisis but I’m not sure… I haven’t breathed that closely on anybody :mrgreen: . Double cream was good I needed it for the calories but don’t think I will be eating it a lot. Maybe I will eat brazil nuts next time instead of the double cream as brazils are quite high in cals.

Well I’m two weeks into my ketogenic diet and I haven’t noticed any difference yet in my migraine symptoms or stomach symptoms. Apparently you need to be on it about 10-12 weeks to see if it makes any difference to you. It gets easier once you get past about day 2 or day 3 which is the hardest for anyone thinking of trying it (Nausea, stomach burning). You start to get used to what you can and can’t eat and the carb quantities of stuff. Ive been eating about 20g or less of carbs a day and I think I’m going to up it to about 30g as I can probably eat a bit more as my weight has gone down slightly and I don’t want to loose weight. I have tested for ketones evey day or every other day and always have them so I’m thinking I must be doing the right thing. I haven’t had any probs with cognition or feeling fuzzy as some people first report on this diet. I have lots of energy. I haven’t had headaches as people often report on ketogenic diets but then I have chronic migraine anyway!!!

No joy with this diet, it’s mundane and quite hard to follow. I had no difference after 5-6 weeks so gave up on the diet after this. Felt really sleepy and fuzzy headed when I started eating carbs again but my body just re-adapted to it and I feel fine now. If your thinking of trying it there are loads of good recipies to find on the internet. Everybodys different so I guess what works for some won’t work for others. Ive also tried a gluten free diet which didn’t do anything either.

Ive also tried proponalol, amitrip and going to the chiro. The thing that seemed to work best for my diziness was jumping on a trampoline and I think I just got better by itself over time. I still suffer with continual tension/migraine headaches and occassional diziness. Ive recently taken up running since June and have been running 4 times a week (3-8 mile) to see if being much fitter would have any effects on my headaches. Started in June and no results yet. Ive asked my GP to refer me back to a neurologist and I’m going to try acccupuncture.

I love the idea of tramping on a whachamacallitoline. It never would have occurred to me that this might help with dizziness. HOw about nausea, headaches: do you get either of those, and if yes does the trampoline help or at least not hurt with them?

I just wanted to add that I’ve been following a low carb diet (less than 20 g/day) for over two months. I was surprised to find out that I have diabetes and was unable to control my blood sugar levels with the typical high carb, low fat diet recommended by most professional associations.

The low carb, high fat, moderate protein (Atkins) way of eating has actually been quite easy. I’m eating lots of fresh veggies (raw and cooked), 4 oz or so of meat/eggs at each meal and liberal amounts of fat such as avocado oil, black olives, avocados, and some heavy cream in my tea. I really enjoy the foods I have been eating and really don’t miss the carbs.

As a result, my blood sugar levels are fantastic, my triglyceride levels are fabulous, and my LDL particles are primarily of the light and fluffy variety (pattern A). There was an important prospective study that was just published in the Annals of Internal Medince (? Sept. 2, 2014)) concluding a low carb diet was more successful than a low fat diet in many regards: “Conclusion: The low-carbohydrate diet was more effective for weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor reduction than the low-fat diet. Restricting carbohydrate may be an option for persons seeking to lose weight and reduce cardiovascular risk factors.” annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694

The interesting thing to me is that diabetics were excluded from the study. I can only imagine what positive effects had they experiments with diabetics.

Hi there,

I’ve been doing a Ketogenic diet for over a year now – and absolutely love it. A lot of people who begin a Ketogenic diet feel terrible at first and there are some reasons for this. The main thing seems to be people are not eating enough fat. Most people are scared to eat fat so they tend to go higher on the protein. Unfortunately, this leads to things like the low carb flu, etc. As soon as you lower your protein levels and add more fat you may notice a difference. I believe, I’m not totally sure though. But if you eat a certain amount of protein it can be converted into glucose which I think prevents some people going into ketosis. Which kinda defeats the purpose of going ketogenic. Not all low carb diets take you into Ketosis. Paleo is an example of this.

Everyone is obviously different. Furthermore, since we are MAV sufferers I would recommend removing the major triggers such as foods with Nitrates like bacon, etc. I love bacon and it’s a staple for paleo and atkins people. But unfortunately, it’s a migraine trigger. Another recommendation for people who have felt worse on an Ketogenic diet, ease yourself into it. Slowly drop your carbs. Instead of going from 250 carbs a day to 30 or less. Try going from 250 to 150, then 100 to 80, etc. Till you’re down to a level of 30 or less a day which is recommended to getting into ketosis. Once you’re in a state of ketosis you may notice more energy and possible better symptoms. A ketogenic diet is not for everyone, but I find it easy to stay on because I love the foods and the higher levels of fat make you a lot less hungry.

Furthermore, if you’re unconvinced about a Ketogenic Diet check out the work of Gary Taubes who has wrote some great stuff about the Ketogenic diet. Books like “Good Calories vs Bad Calories” and “Why we get fat”… He has came up with the hypothesis that carbs are a major regulator of insulin in the body. And that carbs create insulin secretions into the fat cells that cause us ultimately to gain weight. He also believes that the Calories in and Calories out model is very flawed. Not sure how true this is. But, from my personal experiments I think he may be right. I do believe calories still matter though. Anyway, I like the diet. If you want to learn more about it check out some of the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/v/M6vpFV6Wkl4)

http://www.youtube.com/v/5LDc5TxOcvA)