Klonopin

For those of you who are on klonopin, I was just wondering what dosage you find most affective?

Thanks,
Selena

I’m doing well on Klonopin. Out of the 3 meds I take (the other two are preventatives, Klonopin is a suppressant) Klonopin out-performs them all by a lot. I take .5 tid. Truth is, if my doc would allow me more I would be tempted to take it - so i’m glad he won’t. It’s a benzo, you can build a tolerance, and it can depress you. the .5 tid gets me through the day relatively comfortably (and I do mean relatively).

The thing I like best about Klonopin is that it doesn’t make me dopey, like Valium or Xanax. It probably makes me a little tired, but that’s okay after a year of being freaked out and not able to sleep at all (seriously, 2 hours a night), but mostly it works in the background, just calms down the dizziness. When I take Valium, i KNOW i’m taking Valium.

Hope that helps. Search for some of Kira’s posts. She can tell you more about Klonopin - I’m a newbie to it.

Good luck,

Julie

The neuro-otologist who put me on it used 3 mg as his top dose. Ironically, if you look up dosing for anxiety–4mg/day is the top suggested dose, and for seizures it can go up to 20mg/day. It’s a very potent, yet long acting benzo.
On the MDD site recommended by Jenny there’s a file from a physician supporting using it at even higher doses, when needed–one person’s opinion.
Initially, I was slow to go up on, and he pushed me–and I maxed out at 1mg am and 1.75 mg pm. For the last couple of years it has been 1 mg twice a day. With my recent flare, we added (new doctor) .25 mg to the evening dose, along with zoloft at 12.5 mg.
I have tried to wean down almost since I started it, and just haven’t been able–there is a withdrawal syndrome, but for me, I get more nauseated and dizzy.
I get such mixed messages–I have 2 doctors now, an otologist and an ENT. My ENT tells me to do what I have to do–increase the dose when I flare, decrease as I get better, my otologist told me to cut back initially, then recently told me to accept that I need it chronically. (Just last month the audiologist at the ENT’s had to weigh in with her opinion that if you’re suppressed you never adapt–yet my testing twice–in 1987 and 2001–ENG and rotatory chair–showed an uncompensated vestibular nerve damage in my left ear–and I had that virus in 1975, and had NEVER taken klonopin at the times of the testing–I started in 2003).
So, there you have it. I take it because it allows me to function. I don’t like taking a drug that causes dependency, decreased cognition and depressed mood, but I couldn’t function without it. I’m hoping that as the low dose zoloft seems to be helping, that some day I’ll be able to cut back. I have accepted that I may need klonopin for the rest of my life–even my internist has told me that.
Kira

Julie,

I heard that Klonopin takes a little longer to get into your system vs. valium or xanex but stays in your system longer. Xanex has helped me more than any other prescription drug. When things were much worse during the 1990’s…i was on a stronger dose…and yes it did make me feel sleepy and a little dopey. I was told i even slurred my speech when i talked. But currently i take a much smaller dose and that does not happen. I am very much alert and the med helps to keep me more stationary.

Joe

true enough, if i were to take valium on a regular basis, those SEs would hopefully wear off. I was just very surprised that i never even had those SEs with Klonopin. Just the sleepiness with the first couple of doses.

The other thing about Klonopin - the longer I take it, the better I feel. I think Kira pointed out to me that it takes two weeks (?) to reach a steady state. I increased my dose about 3-4 weeks ago and feel much better now than when I first increased it.

Klonopin has a very long half life–40 hours–yet a relatively quick onset of action. My first doctor, who put me on it, explained that it takes at least 10 days to get a steady state with such a long half life. He was strongly against going up and down rapidly, because the fluctuations in the blood levels could cause symptoms. So, he did tell me to judge the effect after 10 days whenever making a dosage change.
Initially he gave me ativan, and I carried it in my purse for a year until I swung my head in the yoga class in 2003 and ended up on the floor with the room spinning. I found that ativan made me too sleepy to function–while klonopin never seems to do that.
I recently corresponded with a board member of the vestibular disorders association. And although she’s much better, and off all meds, she has days where her balance is worse. She said she knew about the klonopin controversy, and she has been off it for a couple of years now, but without it, she couldn’t have gone to work.
Kira