Large pupils?

This may be weird, but recently my eye doctor told me that I have abnormally large pupils. She said it’s not a big deal, but it probably means my eyes are more light-sensitive, especially at night. She asked if I have trouble with night driving, and it’s true. At night, most lights look like blurs to me and I have trouble determining depth.

I was curious if this light-sensitivity could be contributing to my MAV? Maybe its the reason that fluorescent lighting makes me feel worse, and places like malls and grocery stores are so bad. Anyone else have light-sensitivity or have large pupils?

Just a thought!
Melissa

I, too, have very large pupils and avoided driving at night (when I could drive) because I had problems determining depth and the lights blurring, much like you. I am beginning to think one of triggers is flurescent lights, because I have more dizziness in Walmart/Giant Food and was experiencing more “episodes” in my classroom (I used to teach).

Are you taking anything (meds/supplements) that helps your MAV?

Hi, I’m new here… but have been lurking for a while since I have been diagnosed with migraine mid-last year (not sure what triggered it, but I ended up with my first migraine w/ aura, felt like crap for days, and had all the tests done). Since then, I haven’t felt quite normal. I haven’t been diagnosed with MAV yet, but I think this is what I have as I don’t get the headaches often but do get the rocky/imbalance feeling.

Anyway, in regards to this post, when you guys got your eyes checked, how did you deal with the bright lights that they shine into your eyes during the test? I tend to be sensitive to light (I noticed I feel funny in stores, in the office, in a restaurant, etc.), so just wondering how you guys did it. I’d be curious to know if I also have large pupils when I do get my eyes checked.

— Begin quote from “honu”

Hi, I’m new here… but have been lurking for a while since I have been diagnosed with migraine mid-last year (not sure what triggered it, but I ended up with my first migraine w/ aura, felt like crap for days, and had all the tests done). Since then, I haven’t felt quite normal. I haven’t been diagnosed with MAV yet, but I think this is what I have as I don’t get the headaches often but do get the rocky/imbalance feeling.

Anyway, in regards to this post, when you guys got your eyes checked, how did you deal with the bright lights that they shine into your eyes during the test? I tend to be sensitive to light (I noticed I feel funny in stores, in the office, in a restaurant, etc.), so just wondering how you guys did it. I’d be curious to know if I also have large pupils when I do get my eyes checked.

— End quote

I don’t really recall having a hard time with the lights in my eyes- I guess I just assumed that no one liked that sensation. I feel way worse in the grocery store, at malls, at airports, etc. but I always thought it was from all the visual stimulation and my brain trying to process it all. I still think this is part of the problem, because one of my vestibular therapies when I was seeing a physical therapist, was to stare at a point on the wall while a disco ball rotated around the room. The movement of the lights really made me dizzy but they weren’t necessarily that bright. (and no, this therapy did nothing for me in the long run).

— Begin quote from “amwayxsj”

I, too, have very large pupils and avoided driving at night (when I could drive) because I had problems determining depth and the lights blurring, much like you. I am beginning to think one of triggers is flurescent lights, because I have more dizziness in Walmart/Giant Food and was experiencing more “episodes” in my classroom (I used to teach). Are you taking anything (meds/supplements) that helps your MAV?

— End quote

I’m currently on nothing but hypothyroid medication. I also take magnesium and a B-complex vitamin daily. Accompanied with regular cardio exercise, I am feeling pretty good. I would say I’m at 80% most days, as long as my thyroid is under control. How about you?

I have heard that too much seratonin can cause pupils to dilate and to watch for that is on any SSRI’s or the like…
Just FYI…you can google it to read more.
Kelley