Last week=awesome/ This week =miserable

I knew last week was too good to be true. I simply cannot put my finger on what was different about last week and this week - diet has been similar, stress/anxiety about the same…but my for whatever reason…last week I was on top of the world. I felt tremendously ‘normal’ and then like a ton of bricks I started feeling pathetic again over the weekend.

I have been on Effexor (75 mg) for about 3 weeks now and thought “hallelujah…I have found the answer”. I have not done much different since last week and have continued on the same dosage and feel like I did months ago…mired in MAV hell.

It was great to feel human again…not 100% by any means, but a lot better off than I am now or was a week before.

Hi Fading,

That scenario happens to me all the time. I’ll have a string of good days and suddenly the dark clouds start moving in again. I can usually pick the trigger – exercise, a bad meal, or stress – but sometimes it just happens. the good news is you’ll have another round of good days again.

Is your sleep regular? This will really throw me out if I go to bed even one hour later than normal.

Best … Scott

I know exactly what you mean. I have been a lot better since taking the Verapamil. However, lately, I have had some “off” days. I know what is triggering me though. My sleep schedule is way off, and there is an upcoming surgery this Fri. for my husband. I have been worrying about traveling the 60 miles back and forth to see him for a week and sitting at the hospital during the 4 hour or so surgery. I worry about getting the dizziness and vertigo back. basically I will be alone and afraid mav will hit.

But then I remember how many good days I have had, my summer was good. My worst day was like a 95% day. So my advice is…you will have a string of good days again just reduce stress levels (if possible), eat right, exercise, and by all means get enough sleep. I feel better when I am on a schedule. I know it is hard to do especially when life throws some unexpected events your way. But, I am thankful that I am well enough to take my kids places again and go to their activities.

It will get better. Stay positive. Your string of good days will get longer and longer.

Nance

Fading, this is actually very good news. I know it’s tough to hear, but this is actually the case. So many people with MAV almost NEVER even have a good day during their condition (because their triggers are stacked one on top of the other so there simply can’t be any breaks in symptoms). BUT, because Effexor IS working for you to some capacity, you have managed to unload your trigger level long enough to experience a break in symptoms. I will tell you exactly what most likely caused you to reach your trigger level again and it’s really very simple,…it’s called “living normal”. I know, that might sound a bit oversimplistic but this is what happens in my opinion. When you are in the midsts of MAV hell, you are more “guarded”. You do less work around the house, less going out, you expend less energy, less of pretty much everything because you are more “reserved”. However, when you are feeling more “normal”, your first instinct is to ACT normal and you actually end up doing a lot more physically and mentally than you realize. You put out more general energy, both physically and mentally, you may go out and go to a movie or go for a long walk, or do SOMETHING that you do not realize is actually contributing to your trigger load again. This happened to me ALL THE TIME in my early days on topamax before I had enough of the medication in me to act “normal” again without causing a “rebound” effect of MAV just from being “normal”. The fact that you even HAD these good days all in a row is an EXCELLENT sign and everyone else wondering what it will be like to get their first break in MAV should take note of fading’s experience. Effexor is DEFINITELY your medication. Weather you will eventually need a higher dosage, or to add another med on TOP of Effexor is yet to be seen I suppose but this med is definitely giving you results. And with more time, you should see even more results. You are starting to see the light as far as I am concerned because without a properly working preventative, it is VERY doubtful that you would have had this nice stretch of “almost” symptom-free experiences for a week as you put it. This is just my opinion based on the way I got well, and based on the way I have watched others get well also. I know it’s hard for you to see, but you just made a very important piece of progress here. That’s my opinion anyway. congrads on the progress! More is sure to come!

Rich