Low Blood Sugar as Symptom, not Cause of MAV

I have posted on this topic before under “reactive hypoglycemia” but I am wondering how many of you have low blood sugar not as a trigger but as a symptom of this dreaded disease? I have had reactive hypoglycemia for several years but it would only show up a few times a week and always after dinner. It was easily dealt with by having a bowl of cereal. Even since my MAV crash, I have much more frequent and severe bouts, essentially following every meal. I have been as low as 53 within 60-90 minutes of eating what I would consider a healthy meal (plain grilled chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli, spinach, and water). My fasting level has consistently been OK (usually between 75-85). I have been to a nutritionist and modified my diet (more fiber and protein, eliminate all simple sugars) but I am still struggling. My endocrinologist just says it is all diet based, although he can’t explain the recent severity. When it hits, my dizziness and weakness are out of control and it takes much longer to recover after eating or drinking. My eating habits have not otherwise changed so I can only think that it is a symptom of MAV for me. I have also had some pretty bizarre blood test results for vitamin B-6 and B-12 - I am way high (more than double the upper range limit) on both - I take no B supplements, other than what comes in my multivitamin, which gets me 100% of the daily recommended amount and no more. I am trying to find a link between MAV, low blood sugar, and the high B-6 and B-12 results but can’t find a link…any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. Thank you. Ben

Hi Ben,
I can’t think of a possible mechanism of action as to MAV causing this except that because your “weakness” is with MAV related symtoms, the reaction and symptoms of a normal person with reactive hypoglycemia would make someone with MAV feel so much worse in comparison. Just as we are more susceptible to lack of sleep, improper eating, other illness (colds, flu) and MAV exacerbations, it would make sense that you would “feel” your reactive glycemia much more unfortunately.
Does this make sense to you?
Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. That does make sense. It could be that before MAV, I had more frequent low blood sugar but never really noticed it but as you said now maybe it is so much more noticeable. I am finding it so frustrating! Thanks, again. Ben

Ben,

The only thing I can think of here is that the added stress of MAV on your body could be making the hypos worse and more frequent. I used to run experiments at Prince of Wales hospital in Sydney called the “euglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp”. Sounds like a torture chamber but we were measuring insulin sensitivity in people. But what I saw frequently was just how rapidly stress can impact blood glucose levels – it’s almost instantaneous. If the test subjects got anxious during the procedure, their BG levels would shoot up in a matter of minutes by an order of magnitude and it would screw up the test. Then it would drop the other way. So entirely possible I think.

Scott

You might want to look up the adrenal fatigue, and thyroid connection, along with the low cortisol.

I suffer badly with reactive hypoglycemia (proved at hospital with GT Test). Start off with a good resting B Sugar level, then, no matter what I eat in the morning, it drops like a stone below base level within the hour (I have tried full protein and fat breakfasts, including chops, eggs etc.). Very often sets off a bad head. The mornings are bad, afternoons better.
If I eat a large meal around 1 in the afternoon of lots of meat and veg, and say, two very small potatoes, I can actually keep going till 8 in the evening. If I eat a cake on its own at 1, am asleep by 2 and struggling with the ups and downs all day.

I have B12 deficiency which I have to have injections for. There is no doubt that hypoglycemia causes symptoms, sweating, shivering, haze in front of the eyes, dizzy, shaking hands and a dull headache. Also, when you get exhausted, the blood sugar drops, at that point once I was doing the cortisol saliva test and cortisol was rock bottom, no cortisol, no energy. When the blood sugar drops too low, the body compensates by kicking out adrenaline, hence the shaky horrible symptoms.

Christine

Scott and Christine, thank you for the replies. Scott, you are so right. My endocrinoligist wants me to get blood drawn when I am having a blood sugar crash. I have tried three times to do it but by the time I get to the blood test facility (10 minutes from my house), my levels are back up. OI think it is from the stress of trying to get to the facility. I need to eat there and then stay there and wait for the drop. Christine, my mornings are now my worse times too, although my crashes occur with such frequency it is tough to pinpoint a worse time. I am trying a variety of dietary changes but nothing has helped thus far. I will keep at it! Ben