Magnesium, CoEnzyeme Q 10, and Riboflavin

Hello all -

Dr. Cherchi, who is with Dr. Hain, told me in January to make sure I am taking at least 300mg of magnesium oxide (don’t know if it matters if it’s citrate), 400mg of vit B2 (riboflavin) and 300 mg (100mg x 3 per day of CoEnzyeme Q 10). He said there is impressive research showing it’s effectiveness on migraines. He’s very conservative and reads every bit of research there is on this stuff. For him to recommend this means a lot. I am wondering if the fact that I have been taking this for 2 months along with the Paxil is helping me feel as good as I do. My husband read in Men’s Health today about the impressive research supporting the importance of mag and B2 especially. Made me remember thta I needed to pass this info along.

Anyway, I hope you guys will try this. I know it hasn’t hurt me!

Molly

Molly

That is interesting information. How long have you been doing this? And how long have you been on the Paxil an did you have any side effects.

What are your main symptoms and what percentage would you say you are at each day.

Hi Timeless -

Let me give you a tad bit of a background before I answer this. I have had this for 18 months and when I was diagnosed 11 months later, I was taking and had been taking 15 mg of Prozac for years. I tried Topamax for two days and did not like it. Effexor was the next thing prescribed and I decided to go with something I found on line that was a miracle cure (It involved hormones and other stuff). I paid a lot of money and in the process, came off of my Prozac. What I noticed immediately was that Prozac had provided me with a least a 15% buffer particularly with my symptoms of light and motion sensitivity.

I tried this program which wasn’t successful and I had a major emotional upheaval because of being off the Prozac and the hormones I’d imagine. I have a fairly significant anxiety disorder and have been on a low dose of an SSRI for 15 years. At any rate, my doctor put me back on Prozac and I immediately noticed improvement with motion and light sensitivity. However, my doctor did not feel that Prozac really was addressing my anxiety and so we tried Paxil because it is very good with anxiety.

I started out at 12.5 and felt horrendous from day 5 - 11 at least. Terrible nausea and headache. Fatigue and flu-like. But then it got better. I can’t say how I was until I felt better in regards to MAV because my emotions were still raw and I still wasn’t myself and I just don’t remember. But as I started to feel better, I started noticing small improvements. I then doubled my dose after 3 weeks and again had terrible nausea. I have been on it a total of 6 weeks and in the last 2 weeks have become very constipated - frightfully so actually and will probably have to stop. Most people get diarrhea from Paxil if they are going to have a problem. Oh how I wish I could be so lucky. Seeing that I’m taking all this magnesium, constipation is a surprise. From here I will go to Lexapro which is also very good with anxiety. I hopefully will enjoy MAV benefits on that as well.

You asked when I started the vitimans and minerals. Pretty much at the same time, maybe a few days later. I was off my rocker so I didn’t write much down.

I have a really had a great last two weeks. Not perfect - although it would be closer to that if I could use the potty for goodness sakes. This past Sunday was as near as perfect a day as I’ve had in a VERY long time. I was outside enjoying a beautiful sunny day with my kids and having the energy to chase them through a field and up the stairs and run with my dogs and laugh with my husband. I was able to say to my husband “I had a great day today.” I was a bit more tired in the evening then my old self, but did not mind that. And I’ve been virtually headache and neck pain free for a few days at least. That has been nice.

I tell you all this because we are all so different. I have had coffee almost everyday in the last 2 weeks. I’ve eaten some chocolate. And this was during the time that I felt great. Today I don’t feel great. I’m constipated as hell and I’m about to start my period which is my biggest trigger next to red wine and weather. It’s also allergy season here and before my MAV became constant, I always had about 2-3 weeks of dizziness during allergy season. But considering that, I feel pretty damn good. And I have NO idea exactly what to credit it too. We’ll see when I switch to Lexapro. I haven’t been expecting that an SSRI would be my only treatment - I was intending on starting Verapamil. Obviously with my GI issues, Verapamil may be something I try after Propranolol.

I feel like I spent my time on here thinking that someone else’s cure would be mine. I would read horror stories about someone being bedridden and I’d panic. I thought that would be me. I don’t believe that today at all. I believe that this thing can be managed. I just can’t look at the negative anymore. My outlook alone has helped me a lot I believe. I will keep you posted about whether I switch SSRIs or not.

Please feel free to ask me anything else. I hope I haven’t jabbed on to long.

Molly

Oh, and one other thing. I take Kylonopine (sp?) at night for sleep and something that I have taken for years called Trazadone. I take a pinch of that stuff. Probably psychological effect! :lol:

— Begin quote from ____

And I have NO idea exactly what to credit it to

— End quote

[size=150]Paroxetine prevents migraines.[/size]
J Clin Psychiatry. 1997; 58(1):30

Hey Molly - it’s definitely the Paxil. You’ve come out of such a messy pit in a relatively short period of time since starting that stuff. Don’t know why but the SSRIs can really clean this garbage up for many of us. Someone needs to get a bunch of MAVers and do an SSRI controlled trial. I wonder why Hain doesn’t report more effectiveness with other SSRIs? He must see it happen. There’s a couple of studies out there showing an anti-migraine effect from Paxil. Maybe I should go there if Effexor keeps trashing me!

Magnesium, CoEnzyeme Q10, and Riboflavin - all three have a moderate effect in randomised controlled trials. I think at best they probably lower the intensity and maybe the frequency of migraines but are unlikely to knock them out completely, at least not when things are as nasty as our cases. Used in conjunction with a med, it’s probably a nice little bit of icing on the treatment cake.

I was not able to tolerate either B2 or Q10. Both made me massively dizzy.

Scott

— Begin quote from “scott”

I was not able to tolerate either B2 or Q10. Both made me massively dizzy.

Scott

— End quote

Are you sure they were gelatin-free? I’m having a really hard time finding high-dose versions of these without gelatin shells or gelatin right in the B2 powder.

My neurologist uses Paxil/Paroxetine as a migraine preventative and it is the next one on my list to try. I was a bit wary about it because of what Buccholz and others say about SSRI’s lack of effectiveness with migraine, however when I asked him about it he said it was one of the most effective drugs he uses. He used to use it all the time but uses it less now because of patients’ reluctance to take it due to the bad press it got a few years ago (even though he thinks it doesn’t deserve that bad press).

I have tried magnesium, Co-enzyme Q10 and Riboflavin to try and combat the MAV but I haven’t had any success. I couldn’t tolerate Magnesium (surprise surprise!) in any form due to the terrible diahorrea; Co Enzyme Q10 didn’t make any difference, although it did help combat the lack of energy from taking Propranolol; and Riboflavin didn’t make any difference either.

Thanks for the Paxil info Beech. That’s really good to know that your neuro used/uses it and speaks highly of it. I really wonder if this has anything to do with the SSRI per se or is just a serotonin effect. I was near normal on Cipramil (but not headache free), Howie is great on Zoloft, Molly on Paxil, and both Gloria and Violet (healthboards) on Prozac. I can’t think of who it was but Lexapro was effective too.

Tran - they were gel caps. What’s up with those? Are you thinking MSG? They produced more of a “systemic” effect in me rather than just a headache like I would expect from MSG. 100 mg of B2 made me feel bad in a bad drug sort of way if that makes sense.

Scott 8)

Yup, I was thinking MSG.

Ughhhhh, lexapro :evil:
I kinda wish we would have evolved to not have serotonin at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

— Begin quote from ____

That might well be what made me crash into this damn hell in the first place

— End quote

Funny you say that because my migraine problem was really kicked off back in 1997 after trying a drug called Propecia. I was paranoid my hair was falling out. I used it for two weeks and the migraines began. I was also under heavy stress at the time. A double whammy perhaps?

Scott 8)

Molly - I just read your post again about constipation. I sent you a PM. hope you got it, but I just wanted to reiterate that Miralax was a godsend for me in terms of constipation. I was taking tons of magnesium and it did not help at all. I think you will be pleased with Miralax and it doesn’t upset your stomach. It is wasn’t for that I would have had to stop Verapamil awhile ago. Sadly, the verapamil isn’t working, but at least my stomach is prepared for the next med.

Hey guys -

Lisa - Thank you for the info. I starting using it two days ago and am waiting!

[That might well be what made me crash into this damn hell in the first place]

Tran - could you elaborate on this? My doctor actually switched me to Lexapro to better deal with my anxiety in Sept. '07. I was dizzy anyway from alergies, but felt the LExapro made it worse and then I switched back to Prozac but the dizziness never left. I have felt that this was probably not the cause, just coincidental, but would appreciate hearing your story.

Becky - Paxil has worked very well. For those who can tolerate the side effects initially, you should do very well.

Thanks guys -

Molly

— Begin quote from “Molly”

[That might well be what made me crash into this damn hell in the first place]

Tran - could you elaborate on this? My doctor actually switched me to Lexapro to better deal with my anxiety in Sept. '07. I was dizzy anyway from alergies, but felt the LExapro made it worse and then I switched back to Prozac but the dizziness never left. I have felt that this was probably not the cause, just coincidental, but would appreciate hearing your story.

— End quote

My story is probably similar. I had symptoms much earlier than lexapro (bad enough to stop going to school ~8 months earlier, I couldn’t take the travel etc., but low level for years and years) and had worsening and worsening anxiety - although I’m wondering if parts weren’t MAV now - and was put on lexapro around May ~15th 2007. The first two weeks, even at 5 and then 10 mg, were pure hell with extreme anxiety, insomnia, nausea, etc. I was bedridden until I took Xanax XR for three weeks - two weeks at 2 mg, one week at 1 mg. After that, I was pretty much back where I was before the xanax, but with added feelings of unreality and other nasty stuff (xanax withdrawal is my guess). Most of the new stuff passed in a few days, though, but the lexapro-induced(?) insomnia, anxiety etc. remained, so I was put on Remeron. The day BEFORE I started the Remeron, about 5 weeks after lexapro, was my first day with bad “motion sickness” from not actually being in a car or such, I was just taking a walk. I’ve had that feeling 24/7 since then, but it got worse and worse by the day, possibly because of the remeron which I’m still not off (goddamn withdrawal symptoms are making me nuts - they just make me feel the same but a lot worse!). I was also (at my proposal) switched to prozac, since I couldn’t get off lexapro due to extreme withdrawal even when tapering. Same thing here, dizziness remains even though I’m off both (since a year, so they can hardly matter anymore!).
I’m currently hoping, in a way, that remeron is what’s making me so darn sick, because that would mean that when I finally get off it, I might just feel better again.

Tran -

Were you only on Lex for 2 weeks? I was on it for 3 at a low dose. The reason I am about to try it again is because, after my experience with Paxil, I have realized that I jump ship a lot when the initial side effects are bad. This is making me wonder… SOunds similar to my experience.

Had you been on an SSRI before this one?

m

— Begin quote from “scott”

Thanks for the Paxil info Beech. That’s really good to know that your neuro used/uses it and speaks highly of it. I really wonder if this has anything to do with the SSRI per se or is just a serotonin effect. I was near normal on Cipramil (but not headache free),** Howie is great on Zoloft, Molly on Paxil, and both Gloria and Violet (healthboards) on Prozac. I can’t think of who it was but Lexapro was effective too.**
Scott 8)

— End quote

When you say near normal on Cipramil Scott, do you mean your other symptoms went away other than the headache? What about Howie, Molly and Gloria? Are they too not having lots of side effects? I ask because headache for me at this point is very minimal; I need to get rid of all the other side effects. My doc once mentioned Paxil to me saying it was good, but I don’t know what he meant it was good FOR (I dismissed it because I took it years ago for depression and did not like the side effects). I am on Tofranil (a tricyclic antidepressant) now which we believe is helping with the balance problems somewhat, but it isn’t helping with anything else.

i tried the lexapro for two day and thought I was losing my mind. The dizziness was much worse, the insomnia was awful only took 5mg but I am SO med sensitive.

My brother could not take it either and he usually has not problems with drug side effects he said it is pretty strong under the category. I guess because it is faster acting but it really did not work for me at all.

But I know others who have had success with it so we are all different.

— Begin quote from “Molly”

Tran -

Were you only on Lex for 2 weeks? I was on it for 3 at a low dose. The reason I am about to try it again is because, after my experience with Paxil, I have realized that I jump ship a lot when the initial side effects are bad. This is making me wonder… SOunds similar to my experience.

Had you been on an SSRI before this one?

m

— End quote

No, I was on lexapro May - Sept 2007, when I switched 15 mg lexapro to 40 mg prozac (which I quit Feb 08). I had previously been on prozac for anxiety, back when I had a working life. Not sure how much it helped, but it can’t have made things a lot worse in any case, since I felt mostly OK.

Molly said:

"Let me give you a tad bit of a background before I answer this. I have had this for 18 months and when I was diagnosed 11 months later, I was taking and had been taking 15 mg of Prozac for years. I tried Topamax for two days and did not like it. Effexor was the next thing prescribed and I decided to go with something I found on line that was a miracle cure (It involved hormones and other stuff). I paid a lot of money and in the process, came off of my Prozac. What I noticed immediately was that **Prozac had provided me with a least a 15% buffer particularly with my symptoms of light and motion sensitivity. **

I tried this program which wasn’t successful and I had a major emotional upheaval because of being off the Prozac and the hormones I’d imagine. I have a fairly significant anxiety disorder and have been on a low dose of an SSRI for 15 years. At any rate,**my doctor put me back on Prozac and I immediately noticed improvement with light and motion sensitivity. **However, my doctor did not feel that Prozac really was addressing my anxiety and so we tried Paxil because it is very good with anxiety."

Hi Molly,
To clarify, are you saying that when you were on Prozac, you did not have as much sensitivity to light? What I mean by this is just the sensitivity (brightness, visual snow, etc), not if it kept lights from triggering your migraines or causing you to become dizzy. Thanks.

Berelief -

I hope this clarifies. My sensitivity to light means that when I see a glare on the floor coming from outside, I get dizzy and I get a headache. I want to only be in a dark room or completely outdoors. I cannot handle variations in light and dark. My eyes ache from switching to a shadow in a room to then looking at natural light coming in from the outside. When It’s bad, glare feels like razor blades cutting behind my eyes. When it’s manageable, it’s not comfortable, but doesn’t cause symptoms to slam me.

I hope that helps.

Molly