Major life changes and loss could have caused this?

Within the last year I have lost my dad at age 64 to a rare disorder (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) and spent a month him in his hospital room 6-8 hours a day. I flew back home when he was getting better and then he passed. I also lost both of my grandmothers and spent time with them in hospice and icu. They died within a month of one another and a few months before my dad died.

I am 45 and also started going the major hormonal changes with menopause which was confirmed by my doctor by doing some hormonal testing.

I had surgery in June for cysts and endometriosis and then a month later had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

Could all of these life changes have put me into this dizzy mess?

Absolutely!! My neurologist said that a combination of stress and perimenopause (I’m 47) caused this to happen to me.

Yes, absolutely can and will cause major flare of symptoms!!!
Hang in there and try to slow things down a bit as best you can.

Pam

Yes! Well, not ‘caused’ but more accurately ‘triggered’. Many of us have had what we call a ‘big bang’ event (or events) which set of chronic episode(s) of migraine.

Hang in there!

This idea was new to me too - missmoss put it in her recent post about her visit with Dr S - I have to say I could relate because my husband had recently finished cancer treatment when my first dizzy spell hit. (We were still in the 3 month waiting period before he could get a PET scan to see if treatment had been successful.) Though it was also a “perfect storm” situation because I was in perimenopause and knew I’d had an estrogen spike due to my having to cancel a mammogram (for the first time ever) due to extreme soreness: I was swollen as if I was pregnant (which I wasn’t). Shortly after the soreness subsided, and I assume my estrogen level began to come down, the first dizzy spell hit. Rollercoaster hormone changes, I’m sure, were a huge factor in the start of my MAV too.

irishgirl…thats alot to go through in a short time period. stress is definatly a trigger, its dam near impossible to cut it out of your life. Im also going through a rough patch at the moment…with no end in sight.
also going through menopause…yipppeee~~~ I dont know whats worse…the abundance of emotions that my hormones make me feel…or the “numbness” that i feel b/c of the anti-depresants. :?

;-(

Isnt Guillaine Barr Syndrome auto immune? If you have other symptoms besides dizziness, it might be worth getting checked out for any auto immune disease as well. A simple ANA blood test will show this. I am so sorry for your losses, a very sad time for you.

Christine

My word.

I feel for you so much Irishgirl.

I’m really sorry to read how much you’ve been through. It just doesn’t seem fair. And then somebody goes and dumps this MAV crap on you. It’s so unjust.

I have read in quite a few places about a stressful situation sparking ‘the big bang’ off, and Dr S mentioned it to me as well. For me, I felt crappy and viral for a month before my big bang, but then my boyfriend had a few epileptic fits which weren’t quite straight forward. It was the first time I witnessed them and in the end I had to get him to the hospital, and care for him for a few weeks after because he continued to have tiny fits every 15mins for 2 weeks! At the time I thought I coped well, but looking back I was constantly on edge and nervy etc.
After the big bang, and 4 months into this MAV stuff, my closest friend died. The emotional torture of this whole process was horrendous. But strangely, I felt the least dizzy/headachey I ever had. I don’t quite understand that one, maybe the brain decides, it just can’t handle everything and gave me a little break.
That said, I soon came crashing down after a few weeks. :roll:

People talk about things being easier to cope with once you’ve got anxiety in general, under control… I tend to agree with this. It’s something Dr S touched on too. But it’s often easier said then done I guess.

I’m really so so sorry you have been through so much shit. I am sending you the most gigantic hug through the internet…

I hope for all that 2012 is a better year than 2011. I’m gonna be toasting a big glass of Champers to us all when Big Ben chimes

xxx

— Begin quote from “irishgirl45”

Within the last year I have lost my dad at age 64 to a rare disorder (Guillain-Barre Syndrome) and spent a month him in his hospital room 6-8 hours a day. I flew back home when he was getting better and then he passed. I also lost both of my grandmothers and spent time with them in hospice and icu. They died within a month of one another and a few months before my dad died.

I am 45 and also started going the major hormonal changes with menopause which was confirmed by my doctor by doing some hormonal testing.

I had surgery in June for cysts and endometriosis and then a month later had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.

Could all of these life changes have put me into this dizzy mess?

— End quote

Dear Irishgirl

So much loss in your life in such a short time, I’m very sorry. It must have been a very painful and distressing time for you. I imagine you just got on and took it in your stride, after all you would have had little option but to do that at the time. The trouble is we are all used to just getting on with things, because we have to, no matter how we feel or any warning signs that might come up for us. You hardly had an option to deal with those events. Then MAV came along and made you stop.

I can only speak from my own experience but I think that this set of circumstances would have provided some of the ingredients for a MAV bout - I read somewhere that ‘extreme psychological stress’ is a factor. I know from my own experience that bad vertigo bouts have often, and mostly followed major stress/life events.

Talking of age - things really changed for me in my late 30s, and now just into my 40’s, I suspect just natural hormonal changes but ones which don’t sit well with migraineurs as I think they intensify the usual confusion and brain fog etc that are present with MAV.

Be kind to yourself on your path to recovery, you have been through so much.

Thanks for all of your kind words and advice. I have been feeling so low and know that the people here are the ones who would understand.

Donna