Mal de debarquement video, ABC

Jen,

I do not think Deb came across as teary. I think she seemed very genuine in her pain and illness and held herself together much better than I would have.

That morning stuff you’re talking sounds like a hypnagognic state ?? Google it and see if that fits. It’s kind of a flood of disconnected images, dream-like, but they don’t make any sense. I was getting some of that before I started the Zoloft. My husband is a psychologist and said it was hyponagognic, which is actually very common among creative people. But I never used to have that before my “big crash.” Anyway, the Zoloft put an end to that. Yea, it all makes you feel a little crazy, doesn’t it?

Julie

HI Julie, no way I think she did a wonderfull Job, No she said that not me.
every time a doc looks at me with Disbelief I get emotional about the fact that they dont understand!!! ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
so for me doing an interview under pressure like that blows my mind, I’d have had a migraine there and then.which for me would consist of sitting and stareing at the host, and forgetting anything he had just said, mmmmmm that would make for an interesting interview. he he

thanks for the info on the flooded mind stuff, Ive had this for my whole life , so dose my mum.
U know she was such a sweety the other day she told me that she suffers anxiety, this was a biggie for mum as she hates admitting all this illness could come from her side of the family , how cute is that. silly girl.
You know I gave her an article on migraine variant and she cried , she is 68 so I’m not going to show her the mdds video.
hugs jen

so she has suffered her entire life with this and nobody knew it or understood what she was going through. Amazing. Sounds like you’re taking good care of her.

Yea, my entire family has dizziness and migraines, but nobody is as bad as I am, so they don’t seek treatment. I just hope that some day they don’t progress the way I have.

Have a good night, Jen,

Julie

Yes but never had dizzy’s strangly enough but my dad has mal de barquement symptoms but he has epilepsy and this is comen with that
jen

BUMPED UP FOR EARL 8)

Thanks Julie,

After watching the show, my spinning is more in my head. I don’t look out and see things tilting and stuff, I just feel a constant motion. Best I can describe it is like getting of a carnival ride and waiting for the sensation to stop.

As for driving I don’t have any problems now, but I would not like to try it with out any med. I do find myself walking like I have a stiff neck alot of times, turning my shoulders, walking kinda of stiff, moving slower than usual, I think it is to keep from feeling as much movement.

— Begin quote from “stop spinning”

I do find myself walking like I have a stiff neck alot of times, turning my shoulders, walking kinda of stiff, moving slower than usual, I think it is to keep from feeling as much movement.

— End quote

I used to walk that way when i was real sick. For me, it was because the more I moved, the more I paid for it in terms of dizziness. But during the moving, I was okay. It was afterwards that I paid for it, just like in the video.

I feel the motion and see the motion. I think I may have overlapping symptoms.

JJ

Earl…i also relate to what you shared on bad days where you feel like you just got off a carnival ride. You also said you experience spinning in your head. I would call it motion and tensio and at times it feels like my heart is in my head. I feel the pultzing like feeling without pain. With all of that over the years it has affected my cognitive skills. I have always been motion intolerant…even as a child. I never outgrew it. It’s interesting i ended up with this dizzy nightmare!

Joe

Joe,

Cognitive skills: are any mental skills that are used in the process of acquiring knowledge; these skills include reasoning, perception, and intuition. Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning (1998) describes the importance of cognitive skills in acquiring literacy skills:

Sorry dude, ours are a lot a like other than, I have never been motion intolerant. That’s one of the odd things, never got sea sick, when we where young and played dizzy bat I would almost always win, because I could still run a straight line. Even now I don’t have trouble with balance, that darn spinning just won’t stop. I also feel the pounding of my heart beat, but the pain is bearable or I just don’t pay attention to it.

Have you ever tried the Transderm Scop patch? It is used for people that get sea sick. It is a prescription, four patches in a box. Each patch good for about 3-5 days, you may want to try one around Thanksgiving, a day or two before. I have found that I can use them every so often and if I have been feeling about 75-80% maybe I jump up to 90 or above for a week or so. Your GP or Nuero will write you a script.

Julie,

I feel the motion and see the motion. I think I may have overlapping symptoms.

I definitely feel the motion, and so far if I start to see much motion I can close my eyes for a moment or two and it will subside. But them I haven’t had the big crash either.

Folks, you all do not know how my heart goes out for all of you!! I’ve never been one to pray for folks much before, but If it makes any difference I lift you all up several times daily. I’m living with it, not as bad as most of you, but the need to just lift you all up is in my heart. Amen

Thanks Earl, that means a lot to me, Julie

After watching the video, I’ve been thinking :roll: Now for me if I close my eyes I have noticed my spinning stops. So if they are doing an MRI on me and my eyes are closed the whole time, then it seems that nothing out of the orindinary is going on? Just a thought.

Questions: There has to be a common thread among all of us some were. It maybe something so simple that it has never been looked at. Maybe we start a different post for this if anyone wants to join in.

Question # 1: Who many of you are side sleepers?

Question # 2: Who many of you have had at least one concussion that put you out for a while?

Earl,

When you have an MRI they are looking at the tissues in your brain, not the activity in your brain.

an EEG looks at your brain waves, that’s why they have you do it with your eyes open and closed and all sorts of other things.

A BAER is a test done to help diagnose Meniere’s or a fistula. An electrode is placed in the ear and it measures activity in the form of waves.

So I wouldn’t worry about having your eyes closed during your MRI, they’re just looking for problems with your brain tissue.

The first thought that comes to my mind regarding the common thread we all have is what is on the first of Dr. Hain’s ppt. slides - he says we start with over-excitable brains - and then he goes on to explain what happens because of these over-excitable brains.

If you’d like a copy of these slides, PM me your email and i’ll send them to you.

But i’d also be happy to participate in any questionaire thread you’d like to present to us. Could be interesting.

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I had all those test run. I’m an eternal optimist, so I’m thinking there is something that all these doctors are missing because they have not asked the right question to every one of us :idea:

Yea, the right question to ask us, and then to actually listen :slight_smile:

In addition, there are many, many, many things they just don’t know.

It is my belief that conventional medicine doesn’t have a real understanding of what causes illness. They’ve come up with the best model they are able to understand and they work and treat within it. It’s why we get Band-Aids instead of real cures.

Hmmm, that does sound pessimistic, doesn’t it? I’m reminded, in one of Rushdie’s books, i think it was Midnight’s Children, him talking about modern society having the “optimism disease.” Of course you would have to have the context. He was such a great writer. :slight_smile: I say “was” as if he were dead. I just think his last book paled by comparison to his previous masterpieces, although it was prophetic.

Julie

— Begin quote from “Julie”

It is my belief that conventional medicine doesn’t have a real understanding of what causes illness. They’ve come up with the best model they are able to understand and they work and treat within it. It’s why we get Band-Aids instead of real cures.

— End quote

Julie,

You are actually more accurate on that statement than you think. Most fields of science start out as you speculate above. The best model to the best of their understanding. Then through the info they gain with that, they improve upon the model, until it is virtually correct.

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

It is my belief that conventional medicine doesn’t have a real understanding of what causes illness. They’ve come up with the best model they are

— End quote

able to understand and they work and treat within it. It’s why we get Band-Aids instead of real cures.

Julie,

You are actually more accurate on that statement than you think. Most fields of science start out as you speculate above. The best model to the best of their understanding. Then through the info they gain with that, they improve upon the model, until it is virtually correct.

— End quote

That, and conventional medicine (or science) usually takes one step at a time.
In the begininng, migraine was seen a a psychiatric condition, since they didn’t have A CLUE what it was. Then, at some point, NSAIDs were developed and helped, so I imagine they thought of some link to inflammation. Later on, triptans were developed for a single purpose: aborting migraine attacks. By that point, they’d figured out how serotonin receptors work during a migraine attack. Next up: http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/projects/olcegepant/. Who knows, perhaps a few steps later we’ll be at the root source? :slight_smile:

Guys,

I was educated as a scientist times two, but when it comes to the human body and mind, I don’t believe the medical model (science) has a deep understanding regarding the origin and the purpose of illness.

Hamlet says, “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Philosophy.”

Insert Science for Philosophy.

I work within the medical model because it’s the only option I have left. But, as I’ve said before, these preventatives are not making me well, they are Band-Aids, covering up a very serious condition. As well, with the large cocktail I’m taking, God love them, and don’t anybody try to take them away from me, my major organs and major organ systems are really taking a hit. My liver will probably end up looking like my mother’s (autoimmune cirrhosis). MAV may not kill me, but decades of multiple preventatives sure could.

On the other hand, it sure beats the heck out of lying in bed all day, watching the clock, waiting for the bed to drop out from underneath me :frowning:

Thanks for the interesting thread, guys,

Julie

On the other hand, it sure beats the heck out of lying in bed all day, watching the clock, waiting for the bed to drop out from underneath me :frowning:

— End quote

I know that feeling. :frowning:

Was going to post the link to this documentary - “The woman who couldn’t stop rocking” !! - but I found it already on here, so bumping this 2008 thread up!

Also this is the YouTube link for 2020: The Woman Who Couldn't Stop Rocking | S06 E04 | Medical Documentary | All Documentary - YouTube

On a personal note, the rocking, see-saw type of dizziness is the one type I haven’t experienced… but the story is still so resonant… her frustration at the medical system, her husband not believing her, worsening attacks, it takes seven years until she gets a diagnosis, and even then there’s no cure…

1 Like