MAV for 7 years, relapse after COVID

Did you have to up your dose?

I went up to 240 mg, but it was the first time I was on this medication.

Yeah I am on Zoloft and topamax and I’m upping my Zoloft but only on week 3 still having symptoms :unamused:

Very sorry to hear. If you have daily MAV symptoms like me sounds like you have PPPD (Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness) which includes a lot of anxiety. I tried both Effexor & Topamax but my doctors knew nothing about taking it slow in the beginning so both gave me bad side effects. I’ve been on Gabapentin (600mg) for the entire run so far (four years) and that seems to help some along with low dose Amitriptyline (10mg). Mirtazapine (7.5mg) helps my sleep and Buspar (20mg) helps with anxiety along with an occasional Valium when dizziness and anxiety really acts up. Just started on Propranolol (80mg) last night in the hope it gets my blood pressure down and helps lessen dizziness and anxiety. My neurologist said it will replace the Amitriptyline down the road. It gets very confusing because it’s sometime not one medication but a combination that is best. Also, all of my doctors have been pushing meditation as a great way to lessen both anxiety and dizziness. For me noise is a huge trigger of my symptoms so just being away from noise and activity can really help. And away from artificial lighting and closed in spaces.

2 Likes

Chronic dizziness can be VM too right?

Absolutely. For sure although some medics will still say dizziness can only occur as part of a migraine by which I mean during an episodic attack of migraine. They tend to be the ones who diagnose PPPD. Most on here know the dizziness can occur 24/7 and not just during self contained attacks.

So what’s the difference between Pppd and VM

Yes, but my understanding is dizziness and other symptoms are chronic with VM only while suffering a migraine. PPPD is a never ending loop of dizziness and other symptoms resulting from anything from a head injury to vestibular neuritis.

I was only diagnosed with VM, but that must mean lately I’m having a never ending migraine because it wont go away :frowning: I’m currently in a relapse

Sorry to hear that. I don’t think doctors fully understand what is going on with us. Many people find relief meditating and doing whatever they can do to reduce stress and anxiety. I was under extreme stress when I woke up one morning totally drunk for no reason. I had had BPPV with loose crystals in my ear before and could tell this was totally different.

This is an awesome idea, great for sharing one.

1 Like

As an update, I settled in with 75 mg of Effexor, coupled with 240 mg of Verapamil. It was a really, really rough 3 1/2 months post Covid with no relief. However, the medication is working well, and I am at about 80% again. It is an unpredictable and rocky road, but eventually I have found relief any time I have had a relapse. There is hope.

1 Like

This is great to hear! I’m hoping to return back to my baseline after a relapse at the end of July. I’m almost there but still having symptoms. But then again my baseline was 95% so I have high hopes lol

That is fantastic.

The only thing that helped me was klonopin I noticed but I’m still having symptoms and flare ups. How long did it take for yours to go away to baseline? 4 months?

Yeah, about 4 months.

Hi Jason, wondering how you are doing now? I was diagnosed 2019/20 with VM and have gradually gotten myself to a good, and manageable place. I had covid back in September 2021 and was really poorly - triple jabbed but off work for a month and it took another 2 months to get any semblance of energy back. My vestibular symptoms really flared during covid and have been getting progressively worse since. My balance is awful, stumbling a lot, have had a few nasty falls, ear pressure, swimmy head etc plus my whole body aches! Saw my consultant last week who was shocked at how much worse I was since I last saw him. He’s doubled my Amitriptyline dose and put me back on Betahistine. I’ve started taking the Betahistine but waiting for that to kick in before changing my Ami dose as am ridiculously sensitive to medication changes and don’t want to overload my system. Off to Neurology for further tests to see if covid has caused any damage. I’m doing all the things to try and calm my head but I’m struggling a little I must admit. Feeling very frustrated at being ten steps back again.

I just want to be well again. I know this community will understand that feeling all too well.

I hit a terrible patch after Covid, but actually feel better now than I ever have since my condition started in 2013. I am on Effexor and Verapamil. It will obviously always be here, but I am living a full and happy life. For me, it is all getting the right medication balance, and keeping as relaxed as possible through the storm.

3 Likes

Reassuring to hear Jason, thanks. It’s been 6 months since I got covid and I don’t seem to be moving in the right direction. Frustrating!