MAV + hypoglycemia?

I’m wondering if others get bad MAV-type symptoms a few hours (about 3 normally) after eating, which then ease off if one eats something?

I’ve had tests for low blood sugar which show it’s all ‘normal’, but I’m not convinced. Almost every day, I wake at 6am (give or take) have had breakfast by 7am, and if I don’t have a least a sandwich or glass of milk by 11 am I am really woozy. It generally (not always but usually) eases off when I eat again, and returns again 3-ish hours later, though it’s nearly ALWAYS worse in the mornings…,.afternoons are, in general, not so bad…

So i’m wondering, does that sound MAV-like or hypoglycemic? or both? I also have MS to add to the delight of living HO HO YIPPEE! :lol:

I can’t go more than 2-3 hours without eating or my symptoms increase and I get a huge headache. It makes losing weight difficult for sure!
I’ve had low blood sugar issues for a long time but now with mav I have to be careful and always carry crackers with me for emergencies.

i went for 20 years not knowing what was wrong with me, but i did figure out that a trigger to what would bring on a dizzy spell (what i called them) was not eating. it wasn’t a daily thing, but i knew that i wouldn’t be feeling good once i would get super hungry and that a dizzy episode could be awaiting in the shadows. also, i have to eat before i take a road trip, otherwise i will get super car sick- guaranteed. not sure how it all relates but it definitely does!

So do you think it’s MAV not hypoglycemia? it’s so odd…

Hi Jemma, I have MAV and hypoglycaemia. If you eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and your symptoms improve it may well be hypoglycaemia. Try and eat low GI foods and have a mix of carbohydrates and protein when you have a snack. Also try and avoid sugary things and if you have a piece of fruit have it after a meal, not as a snack on its own. Hypoglycaemia is quite easy to manage with your diet and much easier to live with than MAV.

Jemma, I suffer with reactive hypoglycemia, that is the one that reacts after eating food. When I wake in the morning my BS is normal. I found this out with a glucose testing kit, bought for around £14 from the chemist, then I went to the doc and was tested at hospital. Mornings are always bad and afternoons better. Symptoms, sweating, shivering, internal shaking, dizziness, everything seems to fade away, cant concentrate. It happens if I am out shopping or do too much physically and havent topped up with food. Headaches do come on from not eating but I have tested when full blown vertigo etc. and BS is OK so I think that hypoglycemia does play its part but is definitely not the whole story for me.

Christine

I definitely need to eat regularly, otherwise I get more dizzy, feel faint, get a headache etc etc. I try to never let myself get hungry if I can avoid it.

I have reactive glycemia and it can definitely make migraine symptoms worse. And the symptoms can be very similar - feeling jittery, confused, anxious, clammy sweats etc. So I try and eat regularly and have emergency food with me.

I am the opposite. I always eat a protein-heavy breakfast, but then if I go the rest of the day eating nothing or just TINY amounts, by evening I feel clear-headed, steady, energetic, and not achy (I have arthritis and probably a mild case of fibro).

Then, when I finally eat a late dinner, I crash. Aching, fatigue, wooziness all return shortly after eating.

I don’t know why (presumably) low blood sugar agrees with me, but it does!

Nancy

I struggle with the same symptoms. I must eat every couple of hours or the vertigo can get much worse and can also develop a headache. I even wake up in the middle of the night hungry. And I’ve actually lost weight over the past few months from MAV meds! My blood sugar has always been a bit low. Last time I had it checked it was 72 non-fasting.

Same for me. From my post http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/mav-and-meals/6984:

Does anyone notice correlations between MAV and meals? For me, a meal that’s even a half hour or so late sometimes increases the vertigo drastically. I can’t tell if usual hypoglacemia is being amplified by MAV, or if it’s the MAV vertigo itself.

Also, in the mornings, I feel weak until I have breakfast. So I tend to have breakfast (milk, oatmeal) very quickly after waking up. As soon as I have breakfast, on most mornings, my vertigo shoots up, and takes perhaps 1-2 hours or sometimes more to stabilize.