MAV needs a new name (follow up to KathyG's post)

— Begin quote from “Muppo”

FTS - we all know what that means
VAMP - Vertigo and Migraine Paralysis
PMS - can now be referred to as Proper Migraine Spins
PMT - can now be referred to as Proper Migraine Trips
MAD - Mental and Dizzy or Migraine and Dizzy
C/UNIT - usually stands for Cents Per Unit but the word looks like it has a much more appealing use to describe MAV.

:smiley:

— End quote

Ummm…C/UNIT…ummm, is it possible that someone would just combine all the letters and say the word and kinda mess it up? :lol:

LOL Thanks Beachgal, and hey I’ll wear it! What the heck!!

I’ve been out with friends for ‘cocktails’ and we all joke that I’m the cheapest drunk; free club soda & I’m loaded just walking in the door!

K

Too funny Kathleen!!

What’s in a name? I really must admit to laughing out loud. In this year of Covid there was a news article in UK National TV discussing how the British body that usually issues a one word to cover the year has this year reverted to a list of words as they appeared unable to sum this year up in one word. Simon McCoy the Newsreader who always has a twinkle in his eye replied he could easily have done so however refrained from mentioning the word he was thinking because it was family viewing time on the BBC! His smile was priceless to see. So when I just happened to stumble on this thread I couldn’t resist. Personally I can see no reason to change MAV to anything else. It would make it all the more confusing for newcomers however I appreciate its not much use in explaining our sufferings to others. And one or two if the suggestions made me laugh. NBC seemed the best option to me.

1 Like

Especially problematic for those of us on the PPPD end of the spectrum. Try explaining to someone that you have a mysterious condition that has been variously diagnosed as PPPD and MVBD (“Migraine Variant Balance Disorder”), while adding that MVBD is just that doctor’s personal name for MAV or VM… and continue the list of acronyms until you’ve caused total bewilderment…

After a process of trial and error, I now say simply that I have a neurological condition that causes me to feel dizzy!

3 Likes

A good article on PPPD, which points out that it doesn’t have a single aetiology:

Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD) - Balance & Dizziness Canada.

And just to add to the list, I’ve been diagnosed alternatively with:

• PLF
  • Secondary Hydrops

as well as

• MAV

tbh, I could have easily been diagnosed with PPPD too, it’s only a question of how many additional doctors I would have had to visit! (answer, these days, probably only one or two! Seems to be ‘in vogue’ in the UK)

As far as I’m concerned the symptoms (and conservative treatment) of PLF, VM, MAV, PPPD and Secondary Hydrops basically overlap tremendously, if not completely.

Good, clear article on PPPD ^.

I should add I also saw an audiologist who did testing and diagnosed me with a peripheral vestibular disorder in the left ear - she did the OVemp test three times and I repeatedly failed it on one specific part, having 0% response. The two neuro-otologists dismissed the test as being inaccurate, but who knows. The audiologist added that I was probably also “dropping in and out of a migraine state” on top of the ear damage. Just to add to the confusion…

Yes, the symptoms all seem to overlap, or are the same!

2 Likes

It’s one of the reasons I’m tempted to rebrand the site, with less focus on migraine and more on chronic vestibular disability/symptoms in general.

1 Like

Agreed. I initially didn’t like the PPPD diagnosis, and fought for the VM one… but now I feel that category doesn’t “fit” my symptoms any more than its predecessor did. I’m sure a lot of people on here still have uncertainty about what exactly it is they have. And in a sense it doesn’t matter what you call it, it’s all the same thing, or similar things.

The “mvertigo” title is probably applicable to a majority of people on this site, but I haven’t had spinning vertigo in 12 years. These days it’s only occasional micro-blips of movement. My disorder is much more concentrated around things like head pressure, eye pressure, lightheadedness, feeling of going to topple over etc. And I’ve seen a fair few people like me on here, through the Search function!

If you re-branded the site, what would you call it?! :slightly_smiling_face:

Well … I’ve had some more light-hearted ideas … I have felt mvertigo is a bit serious and the last thing users need is more serious when their symptoms are crushing them so badly.

Having said that, I wouldn’t want to make light of the conditions either …

I would almost certainly keep mvertigo for redirection btw, so no contact is lost.

1 Like

Maybe not but who is gonna own up to having a condition called MAD. People would think they were crazy.:joy:

First time I ever came across this site I read it as 'myvertigo and thought ah that’s for me however somehow and I can’t remember where I discovered it referred to ‘migraineous Vertigo’ and thought that’s no good for me because I don’t get migraines. All that was pre diagnosis. By the time I knew my diagnosis everybody on here was moving off en masses to FB and as I don’t do FB it went on the back burner again. Next time I looked in there seemed to be some activity so I signed up.

2 Likes