Mav...pfo

I am new on here. I have many of the same symptoms from reading others posts. I have a constant state of dizziness and off blance feeling (rocking sensation). I don’t get many headaches at all. I also am sensitive to light and get cold hands a lot. After a lot of testing that came back normal my doctor said it was most likely migraines.It is really hard for me to do anything or enjoy my life dealing with this dizziness.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this without taking medication? I was reading an article about people with migraines that had a hole in their heart called PFO. Have any of you have heard of this? I read that it has helped get rid of migraines for ppl but the procedure to close the hole in the heart is not approved yet and they were still doing studies on it.

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

The jury is still out on this. It appears to be a trigger for some and not others just like everything else associated with migraine. :?

Here’s a paper from the science literature where you can read about it all.

Scott

My neurologist tested me for PFO as one of my first tests…as it turned out, I do have it. As do about 25% of us. My cardiologist didn’t think it would help to have it closed. Other than make me more worried and
anxious about all this stuf, I haven’t done anything about it. Still waiting for more news to come in…
Kelley

— Begin quote from “Ashley”

I am new on here. I have many of the same symptoms from reading others posts. I have a constant state of dizziness and off blance feeling (rocking sensation). I don’t get many headaches at all. I also am sensitive to light and get cold hands a lot. After a lot of testing that came back normal my doctor said it was most likely migraines.It is really hard for me to do anything or enjoy my life dealing with this dizziness.

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this without taking medication? I was reading an article about people with migraines that had a hole in their heart called PFO. Have any of you have heard of this? I read that it has helped get rid of migraines for ppl but the procedure to close the hole in the heart is not approved yet and they were still doing studies on it.

Ashley

— End quote

Get the book “Heal Your Headache” and the “Migraine Brain” both of which have some very good information regarding triggers and how to manage them daily.

Thanks for all of the information. I haven’t been tested for it but I read something about it and was curious if closing the PFO would actually work and get rid of this dizziness. I was just looking for an easy way to reslove this but it looks like there is nothing that will get rid of these symptoms for good.

Thanks Timeless for the book suggesstions. I am going to try managing my symptoms without medicine first. My doctor gave me a beta blocker (metoprolol) but im scared of the side effects from it.

I was also wondering if anyone knows if MAV gets any better as time goes on, is progressive, or will typically stay the same?
Thanks so much!
Ashley Brooke

Hi Brooke,

Whether MAV changes for the better or worse over time seems to rely on how well someone is able to control it with lifestyle and/ or meds I think. Lots of people have been able to take the symptoms down to negligible levels. Age apparently works in our favour in that migraine activity diminishes over time for most people according to neurologists. I sure hope that’s the case for everyone here.

Scott