Mav

Hi Guys,
I’m new to this site so hopefully i’m typing in the correct bit.
I’ve suffered dizziness/imbalance for 14months now and been to London to see Prof Linda Luxon. Just wanted to ask you guys to see whether MAV could be an option?
I’ve had the 7 inner ear tests done, the caloric one showed the left ear not reacting as quickly as the right. Symptoms are
tinnitus on and off
foggy head
imbalance (sometimes worse than other times)
eyes stiff and hard to track objects
slight cracking when i yawn in left ear

now i don’t know whether its possible to have Mav when my symptoms are associated to just my left ear and a caloric test has shown what i mentioned above but thought i was would ask? I have no headaches. The only thing to mention would be that since about 4 years ago I started having migraines with aura…but they were very rare…maybe one a year…i would get the aura for about 30mins first which take part of my vision…then a headache after. Have had 2 in the last 6 weeks approx but before that had’nt had one in about 2 years roughly.

Any comments appreciated.

Zara

Zara,
It def sounds like you have MAV, or some form of Migraine which can manifest in any number of crazy ways. You can post in the area that says “Post your story”, if you’d like. Welcome! There is a boat load of info on this, and a great support system. Glad you found us!
Kelley

Hello Zara

Welcome! MAV is certainly a possibility. I think with most of us lots of other avenues were explored and excluded before a diagnosis of MAV. As you have headaches which certainly sound migrainous MAV could definitely be at the bottom of it all. What did Prof Luxon say? Did she put a name to your symptoms? I know you have ear issues which might explain some of your problems but have a look around this site for sure - maybe bells will start to ring, (unfortunate wording as I know you have tinnitus, sorry :frowning: ), in which case you can look into things further. Hard to give a definitive answer at this point as to whether you have MAV or not but I don’t see how you can lose by hanging around here for a while and finding out as much as you can, even if it’s only to eventually rule MAV out. Wishing you the best…

Brenda

Welcome Zara,

Yup, sounds like migraine to me.

Keep in mind that the caloric test is VERY crude. Nobody would have a perfect score and you should not rely on any reading that shows a weakness of less than or equal to 30% (Baloh, UCLA). Did they do a head impulse test on you? That’s where you look straight ahead at something and the doctor jerks your head to the left or right suddenly to see if your eye position remains fixed.

Anyhow, you’ve got the migraine history there so it’s very likely. First thing to do is adopt a migraine lifestyle and see what impact that has on eliminating the problem before embarking on a migraine med (which you may not even need).

Best … Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “scott”

Did they do a head impulse test on you? That’s where you look straight ahead at something and the doctor jerks your head to the left or right suddenly to see if your eye position remains fixed.
Best … Scott 8)

— End quote

Scott:
The impulse test you are referring to… is that checking for nystagmus? If so, what does it mean if you only have it when your head is jerked to the left side?

Cat

Since you have a definite history of migraine, MAV is the most likely cause. I would adopt the migraine lifestyle and diet and stick with it. If you dont achieve relief, then still keep the migraine diet and lifestyle, but add some medication.