Med Question

What are some good meds to take for this condition?
Briana

I cant help you with any real advise on the medication as I’m litterally just starting myself…I would say though uptil now, I’ve refused any medications and have not improved in a year…I was reluctant but after having this new recent diagnosis and the fact that I’ve not improved in the slightest without them, I’ve decided to accept defeat and try

I guess its a matter of how long you’ve had it and if you feel you can cope without them…I feel that I’ve exhausted all other avenues really…All the best

Chris

Nortriptylene 30 mg is helping me. There are no weird side effects other than lightheadedness for a week or two starting it and every time I went up. The antidepressant dose of this is 300 mg 3 x a day which is so much more than the migraine dose. Its been around for ever and is considered a very safe med by my doctors.

Trying medications can be scary. However, keep in mind that if the side effects are bad enough you can ALWAYS discontinue you trial medication. I have tried propranolol, amitriptyline, topamax, verapamil, and now effexor. All of them have different side effects to varying degrees. SOme of the side effects even went away completely after a few weeks. It’s important to be sure you trust you doctor and make sure your starting at a LOW dose to try and eliminate some of the potential to a bad reaction. Good luck!

Sarah

Thanks for your replies. I had a bad reaction to prednisone a few years back that I tried to take for the MAV and ever since then I have been scared to try anything new. My doctor started me out on a high dose and then was trying to slowly go down but maybe I need to start at a low dose for the next med i try!

Amy - What is the difference between Nortriptyline and other antidepressants? I know it is a tricyclic antidepressant but I don’t really know what that means. lol. I never wanted to take antidepressants or SSRIs b/c of the bad things I have heard about them so does nortriptyline affect people the same way?

Thanks!

— Begin quote from "bballgal8"

Thanks for your replies. I had a bad reaction to prednisone a few years back that I tried to take for the MAV and ever since then I have been scared to try anything new. My doctor started me out on a high dose and then was trying to slowly go down but maybe I need to start at a low dose for the next med i try!

Amy - What is the difference between Nortriptyline and other antidepressants? I know it is a tricyclic antidepressant but I don’t really know what that means. lol. I never wanted to take antidepressants or SSRIs b/c of the bad things I have heard about them so does nortriptyline affect people the same way?

Thanks!

— End quote

No ssris and tricyclics are not the same. Tricyclics came much earlier than the ssris but ssris are generally prescribed because they are more specific on serotonine (a chemical in the brain previously thought to be the major problem in depression; now the issue is believed to be more comples involving glutamate-receptors and some other stuff which I know little of). Tricyclics are more broad-spectrum and “messy” in a sense. They are also more toxic, which is a major reason why ssris are preffered (some depressed people can become suicidal on antidepressants the first few weeks). When I say toxic I only mean a lethal overdose is not much over the maximum prescirption-dosage, whereas in ssris a lethal overdose is quite a bit higher. Nortriptyline can also be a bit toxic on the liver (usually at higher doses though) so if anyone finds success on that med I recommend doing a liver-checkup once every year or so just to be safe. =)

Hi

I started pregabalin about one week ago for MAV.

Was just wondering, does anyone know how long it will take for the preventative medications to start kicking in?

Would be nice to know other people’s experiences as to how long it took for things to improve.

Thank you!

In Dr. Cherchi opinion, if I do not respond to a drug in 4-6 weeks after I have reached the starting dose, then the medication is not working. However, some people on here have taken medications for 2-3 months to gage there effectiveness. I think 4-6 weeks is a general statement with some specific medications taking a longer/shorter time to work.
I know that when I started my lowest dose of amitriptyline after a week I no longer felt like my eyeballs were being ground out of my face (great visual imageary in case you needed it :smiley: ). As I continued to increase the dose, I saw more and more improvements. My headache symptoms were the first to change, followed by the dizziness. It tokk months to find a good dose though. We’d raise it by 25mg and wait another 6 weeks.
Sarah