Medication Fizziling out

Hi Everyone,

After being on Verapamil for nearly 4 months…for some reason much of the Tension and Motion inside my head has increased again. This med was never a cure all but it appeared to give me some help for these two symptoms. I don’t know if it’s because my part-time job have decreased my hours so i am having to push myself more to work and not taking as many days off? Or the medication for some reason has stopped helping. It’s all disappointing to say the least. Will continue with the medication till it runs out and then speak with my doctor as to where we go from here. Even though my Neurologist at the VA Hospital subscribes the medication…i continue to be in touch with the doctor at UCLA for suggestions. Dr. Baloh’s assistant suggest i try a medication called NAMENDA. It has been helpful to people in Europe for headache like symptoms and is now being used in the U.S. It’s frequently used for Alziemers. Another med i will discuss to the doc about is INDERAL…which is a beta blocker. Anyone familar with these medications?

Wish i had better news.

Joe

Joe,
Have your hours increased at work? I know that’s part of what pushed me to a relapse recently. I know of namenda for Alzheimers but didn’t know of its use for headache: here’s a wikepedia link
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memantine

Inderal is one the oldest beta blockers. It’s used for high blood pressure and after heart attacks, and has been considered quite useful for migraine prophylaxis. It comes in a long acting form
Here’s from Dr. Hain’s page on MAV:

Inderal LA (propranolol, Group 1) and other beta-blockers such as timonol (group 1). Members in group 2 include atenolol, metaprolol and nadolol. Very effective and cheap drug, with moderate side effects, used for prevention. The usual dose is 60 mg LA in the evening. Works as well as Verapamil, but generally has more side effects. Pulse may be slowed. Has a mildly calming effect. Nadolol (Corgard) has a similar effect. Both Inderal and Corgard are non-selective beta blockers. More selective beta blockers include metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol, dose 25-75 at bedtime) and Atenolol (Tenorman). These may have less side effects than the unselective beta blockers. In general, beta-blockers shouldn’t be used by persons with asthma, depression, heart failure, diabetes, or taking allergy shots. All beta blockers have some risk of hair loss. This is fortunately rare. This is not an absolute prohibition and in some cases beta-blockers are helpful depending on the overall situation. Combined use of verapamil and beta-blockers should also, generally speaking, be avoided. Atenolol is pregnancy category D, while metoprolol, propranolol and nadolol are all pregnancy category C. The ‘C’ agents are preferable in women of childbearing age.

Hope you get some relief, all we can do is give these meds a good faith try and re-evaluate.
Kira

Kira,

No…my hours have decreased at my part-time job…so i am making less money . I work as a Substitute for a non-profit agency and was working 6.5 hours per day and they decreased it to 5.5 hours a day. With my dizzy condition and another chronic condition (that i don’t want to bore you with) i would call in generally one day a week…sometimes 2 days if necessary because of the ongoing illness. But i don’t get paid for the days i call in sick. Since my job has decreased my hours i have not been calling in sick as much and so i feel overworked. I have bills to pay just like anyone else. With this dizzy condition…many times i can barely make it thru a week. So i try and take a day off…rest, regain my energy and feel better. I am struggling with 2 chronic conditions that make me feel very tired at times with little energy. I truly feel like a fragile soul.

Inderal is definitely a possibility…

Thanks for sharing.

Joe

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Kira,

No…my hours have decreased at my part-time job…so i am making less money . I work as a Substitute for a non-profit agency and was working 6.5 hours per day and they decreased it to 5.5 hours a day. With my dizzy condition and another chronic condition (that i don’t want to bore you with) i would call in generally one day a week…sometimes 2 days if necessary because of the ongoing illness. But i don’t get paid for the days i call in sick. Since my job has decreased my hours i have not been calling in sick as much and so i feel overworked. I have bills to pay just like anyone else. With this dizzy condition…many times i can barely make it thru a week. So i try and take a day off…rest, regain my energy and feel better. I am struggling with 2 chronic conditions that make me feel very tired at times with little energy. I truly feel like a fragile soul.

Inderal is definitely a possibility…

Thanks for sharing.

Joe

— End quote

Joe:

I’ve been in this situation, and worse. Feels like you’re climbing a slippery slope, and for every step, you end up going back two or three. Take care of yourself, and try everything possible.

It took me almost 3 years to get back into the full-time workforce (albeit at a massive pay cut), but I’m moving forward. I will likely be moving forward even more in the next month when I start up with a new doctor.

Hang in there. There is always hope.

Joe,

I’m sorry to hear that your medication is beggining to stop working. I know how the stress from work can agravate things big time. Two of the meds I tried made things so much worse for me at work. One gave me a temper that was out of this world and actually took several months to go away. The other one basically made me feel like I was stoned and did little for my symptoms, and on top of it I was still experiencing the temper problem from the first failed med. Hopefully you and your doctor can find a med that works for you and you can get yourself back on track.

Something that you mentioned was needing time off because of feeling over worked. Something that I have found that helps me is, oh what is the modern word for it? The old fashioned word is meditation. I find that it helps me relax and fell more energized throughout the day, and I can often times get rid of headaches. I can’t get rid of the dizzies when they come on, but it has helped me in many ways.

Anyway, just food for thought. I hope things get better for you.

Joe, with my recent flare, I just couldn’t do the 12 hour days in windowless rooms. So, this week I cut back to half days (still coming in at 10 and leaving at 7pm though…). Unfortunately, my work thinks I’ll be able to go back to the old schedule in no time. I think mental fatigue, stress and physical fatigue make things so much worse. I got through the week with the reduced hours. Now I just need to make them understand that this may be the new norm.
Kira

Hi guys,

Thanks for your concern. You would think that since i am working one hour a day less (from 6.5 to 5.5 hrs)…this would be better for me…and in some ways it is. But Financially it is making it more difficult…so instead of taking one day a week off (sometimes 2)(when i worked 6.5. hours…i am only taking one day off every other week(5.5 hrs) and feels like that is not enough. So that is the only thing i can come up with as to why the medication is not working as well. Maybe it is something else?? Along with the Migraine Equivalent condition…i am trying to juggle another chronic condition and they both wear me out. The dizzy condition has been going on for 15 years and the other condition 20 years. I must remind myself that i have made progress since the dizzyness began…much less Vertigo, less fog, taking much less medication. But…i amnot at 90% like some lucky folks. I have made about 40% improvement since 1992. Without the One tab of Xanex per day…i literally feel like i am DEEP SEA FISHING! It is extremely difficult to deal with. But with the Xanex…the motion is less and more manageable…and i am able to get out and do things with friends…and also attend a movie or concert. Without the medication i would stay home and not have a life. So at one time i took 7 tabs of Xanex and now i am down to one tab. So that is improvement. But i still contend with a throbbing like sensation with Motion inside my head.

Sorry for the rambling on…

Thanks again…Joe

— Begin quote from “joseph0952”

Hi guys,

Thanks for your concern. You would think that since i am working one hour a day less (from 6.5 to 5.5 hrs)…this would be better for me…and in some ways it is. But Financially it is making it more difficult…so instead of taking one day a week off (sometimes 2)(when i worked 6.5. hours…i am only taking one day off every other week(5.5 hrs) and feels like that is not enough. So that is the only thing i can come up with as to why the medication is not working as well. Maybe it is something else?? Along with the Migraine Equivalent condition…i am trying to juggle another chronic condition and they both wear me out. The dizzy condition has been going on for 15 years and the other condition 20 years. I must remind myself that i have made progress since the dizzyness began…much less Vertigo, less fog, taking much less medication. But…i amnot at 90% like some lucky folks. I have made about 40% improvement since 1992. Without the One tab of Xanex per day…i literally feel like i am DEEP SEA FISHING! It is extremely difficult to deal with. But with the Xanex…the motion is less and more manageable…and i am able to get out and do things with friends…and also attend a movie or concert. Without the medication i would stay home and not have a life. So at one time i took 7 tabs of Xanex and now i am down to one tab. So that is improvement. But i still contend with a throbbing like sensation with Motion inside my head.

Sorry for the rambling on…

Thanks again…Joe

— End quote

Joe:

You’ve been at this a long time. You’ve hung in there.

Question: With diet, how much does it fluctuate on a weekly basis, or do you usually stick to pretty much the same things? Also, what foods typically set you off, if any??

Joe,

Sometimes I think it’s worse when things relapse after feeling some improvement - very upsetting. I NEVER want to get as bad as i was a year ago. And I know exactly what you mean about the deep sea fishing. That’s really horrendous. When I get that way i try to calm myself by saying, okay, i’m on a boat, so what, lots of people go on boats. It doesn’t work - i HATE being on boats.

MS asked you about your diet. I’ve been really strict about the diet for about 9 months now. No cure, but I do notice that if i deviate, i get dizzier for a couple of days.

You wondered, on one your of posts if it could be something else (besides the verapamil pooping out) - have you ever needed to go up temporarily on your Xanax in the past?

Julie

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks back i told you that the Verapamil was fizziling out…because the Motion had increased. I should have called my doctor to let him know… but decided to ween down the Verapamil from two tablets to one daily…and i went very gradually. Well…seems like the TENSION in my head began to increase when taking one tab daily. So i decided to return to two pills of Verapamil a day and i have noticed the Tension decrease and the Motion a little less. So i think i’m going to stay with this med indefinitely. I am not in the frame of mind to begin a new medication right now…maybe a little later. What a Challenge all of this is!

Joe