Meniere's Sufferers

Hi Dizzy, My doctor that has Meniere’s says that the combination is to help reduce the pressure in the inner ear. I am taking 3 Betahistine ( Serc ) and two of a diuretic ( cannot remember brand ) every day. I found it needs to build up in my sytem to have full benefits. I don’t seem to have any side effects and have had the best two months since going onto this regime. I am on the Gold Coast. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I too have recently been diagnosed with Ménière’s disease. Mine started sometime in 2021 a year after I had covid and only 1 dose of Moderna vaccine. Not saying it caused this disease but I never had any other issues whatsoever before. My ENT prescribed me the valtrex and prednisone (2nd round) because the tinnitus and hearing loss with distortion came back while coming down off the prednisone. I’m doing all the recommendations on what to do with managing this but lately it seems to be quite persistent and not sure what else to do. Im still kinda new to this and never dreamed something like this would happen to me. I’ve changed my whole life style to try to get this thing to stop. :sob:
I do not (at least not yet) have the vertigo.
They ruled out every other possibility which is why I was diagnosed as Ménières. My ent says I don’t necessarily have to have all the symptoms. :woman_shrugging:t3:

This is interesting. I do have the herpes virus but never had any kind of outbreaks. Ever! But do have Ménières diagnosed just recently. So seems as though there is a link. :thinking: I’m new to all of this. :sob:

Hi, symptoms seem to vary a lot. Mine is left side oriented to some extent. I am very deaf on the left side. I am in Australia and we have a vertigo drug that is a Betahistine available. ( on prescription) Fortunately this works extremely well in my case. I had a very bad time until I learnt to recognise the first inkling of an onset and take approriate action. Salt is enemy No.1. Alcohol, caffeine and stress as well. It is very cyclic. We have good times and not so good. My doctor who has Meniere’s is very unimpressed with most ENT’s. You are not alone! Chat with this group anytime. Greg.

Hi Kelly. Sorry about your hearing issues. It’s strange how it affects everyone differently. I have fluctuating tinnitus, but it’s mostly soft. My hearing hasn’t changed much since the beginning. Fullness is pretty much gone now. I still get dizzy on occasion. I just had the best 4 months since this started in July 2020. Then I got the the flu. I went from being 95 percent to around 75 percent. I’ve increased my valtrex to 3x a day for a few weeks until I get back on track, God willing.

What is your dosage of valtrex? How long have you been taking it?