Migraine Abortives

Hi I’m kind of new to this whole MAV thing but not new to vestibular disorders. Anyways major episode right now; migraine is really bad pain level 8 I’m typing this on the floor in the dark. My question is why isn’t my Imitrex working? I have the 100 mg tablets and it does nothing for me. I’m on a Calcium Channel Blocker as well but I just started that. This disease is hell; you feel like you’re having a stroke when it’s just a stupid migraine. I was misdiagnosed with Meniere’s, newly diagnosed with MAV, migraines went from 1-2 a month prior to getting a shunt put in my inner ear to 2-3 a week. I’m 19 almost 20 and have had this for almost 4 years, and this past month my migraines have been so bad that I want to go to the ER and get a shot in my ass. I don’t know if people suffer with this bad pain like I do but this is horrible. If you take preventitives; which one do you take and does it work for you? I know not all people with MAV experience pain but for those of us that do; some insight would be much appriciated.

Corinth13

So sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Hang in there.

As to the abortive meds, I too had tried imitrex with no effect at all. I also had tried axert with no success. The only abortive that has worked on my headache part of the migraine is maxalt. It does nothing for the other migraine symptoms, but at least will tackle the headache/pounding head for awhile. It took me awhile to find a mix of preventative drugs that seems to be working in preventing a migraine headache. I take neurontin, and wellbutrin, but this was after trying many others first.

I think it isn’t unheard of to have to try several Rx’s before achieving some success. I’d continue to look for something that might work. I hope you feel better soon.

Robbi