Migraine and nasal congestion

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed a few posters recently talking about nasal congestion. This is something I’ve had for years and years and years. I’ve been tested for every allergy known to man with no result. Yet now I’m hearing from some of you that it’s part of migraine. Is there NOTHING migraine can’t do?? I frequently get ‘addicted’ to nasal sprays (you get rebound after about 3 days) but I recently went cold turkey and am so far doing OK - except about 5am I’ll get stuffy again. Sigh.

Vic

Hi Vic,

Adam told me that when his migraines were untreated and in full swing his nose would run like a tap before the headache and dizziness hit. It was part of an aura! He’s had loads of sinus issues with his migraine history. He hasn’t mentioned any sinus problems to me since being on Zoloft. So yup, yet another screwed up thing from migraine. I sometimes wonder if the migraineurs who complain about allergies are in fact just having migraine symptoms – that is if the stuffy nose is not clearly being set off by an allergen such as hayfever (which usually comes with itchy eyes etc).

S

Vic,

I’ve had nasal congestion for many years but i think it had to do with an injury due to a fight. The person busted the cartherage (spelled) area in the right side of my nose… and since then it’s never been the same…just very sensitive. I don’t believe Mav played any part in it.

Joe

i’ve always had an unusual nasal condition- blamed it on allergies but it totally could be migraine related now that i think about it! my husband says i’m always sniffing, and i always feel like i have stuff in my nose even if it’s not runny. totally could be!

Vic - My allergist said she didn’t see any point in putting me through allergy tests, since I had symptoms year round, and I was fine with that. But like a lot of other conditions, sometimes one of the best ways to diagnose is a trial of medication plus using good self-help measures. Have you tried antihistamines?

Not that that alone would necessarily be enough to treat allergies, but if you noticed some improvement, it might give you an idea if you really do have allergies.

Per my doc, I need an antihistamine, a nasal steroid spray (not addicting like over the counter nasal sprays), Mucinex, and I used to use a decongestant (Sudafed), but it’s way too constipating for me so I had to give it up (but it works really well on nasal congestion!). Plus she had me put allergy covers on my pillows, and I use an extra pillow to elevate my head (because I too get extra stuffy at night). And no pets in bed, or even in the bedroom. That was a hard one at first, but it has definitely helped. (I don’t sneeze when I pick them up, so I’m not that allergic; no way am I kicking the animals out of the house - I sometimes get mildly itchy eyes when I kiss them though, so I know I’ve developed an allergy to them, and it’s not completely blocked by all my drugs…)

I tried to go off the nasal steroid, but it was only a few months before I had a sinus infection - again. My allergies ramp up and then my sinuses plug up and then I get the sinus infections. So I’m back on the nasal steroid spray. Sounds wicked, but supposedly doesn’t affect your system as a whole - I never trust when they say that, but I’ve decided that the sinus infections are just too disabling (I always miss a few days of work, and lose a lot of sleep).

But I can usually tell when my eyes get puffy (sometimes the whole area between my mouth and my nose gets swollen too), and I get a headache, and the nasal congestion either starts or seems to be escalating at the same time, that the congestion is at least partly due to migraine. Like I said in another post, you have to be a detective to sort it all out!

On really stuffy nights, I also use Breathe Right Strips - a lot of athletes use them, too - they work really well.

But you’re right - what DOESN’T migraine do? So many strange and yucky things! :roll:

I get the stuffed up nose (sounds like I have a cold) with the migraine, but not all the time. I also get it if I have been talking on the phone (by the end of the conversation, the other person often asks if I have a cold, 15 minutes off the phone and its gone.

I had cats all my life. This last two years is the first time without them, no difference to my nose or eyes.

I wonder if the allergies some people say they have to animals are actually from the stuff thats sprayed on them for fleas nowadays and not the animal. You didnt hear of people being allergic to animals years ago.

Christine

Are cats sprayed with peanuts? Every man and his dog (and/or cat) seems to be allergic to peanuts these days.

Interesting feedback everyone. Thanks!

I mostly get the stuffy nose when I’m lying down, face down. When I’m sleeping if I lie flat, face up and prop myself up a bit it’s better. Years ago I tried a non addicting/rebounding prescription spray, I think it was called Beconase. Didn’t really help. Joe I too have a deviated septum - still wonky after two rhinoplasties as a kid (it was reaaallly deviated). I don’t have pets but have had cats and dogs in the past with no noticeable difference. I should probably look into pillow covers. I’ve used mattress covers forever but not foor my pillows and they are feather…

Cheers,
Vic

I too have horrible allergies - prob my biggest trigger.

I use steroid nose spray and antihistime every day too.
i covered my pillows but wish i had put covers over my mattress and box springs when i first bought them several years ago. prob full of dust mites now.

Im congested a lot but not always in my nose a lot of times up in the upper sinuses but then now i wonder if some of this is migraine stuff.

chris

I don’t use flea spray or peanut spray on my pets. :lol:

On a more serious note, I have Parkinson’s Disease in my family, and pesticide exposure has been considered a possible risk factor so I’ve avoided all pesticides like the plague for the last several years. As Michael J. Fox put it, there seems to be a genetic factor that loads the gun and some environmental factor(s) that pull the trigger - so I keep as far from bug spray triggers as I can!

Chris - If you covered your mattress now, you’d lock in the dust mites but there would still be the barrier, so maybe it’s not too late???

Vic - Pillow covers are a relatively inexpensive thing to try, so it may be worth investing in them! I can also vouch for the Breathe Right Strips, which do really open up the airways. Some athletes (at least in the U.S.) can be seen playing with them on to increase oxygen intake.

yeah you are probably right mattress covers may be a good idea.

chris

Victoria, probably be better if they were sprayed with peanuts, the nuventop they used to use on cats had organaphosphates in it!

In the end I used to rub my cat with lemon juice for the fleas (I know, cats are supposed to hate orange or lemon etc. but I had an unusual cat (a birman, anyone thats had one will know they are totally weird) he used to lick it off. He was also partial to brussel sprouts! He lived to nearly 20, I still miss him.

Christine

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

Victoria, probably be better if they were sprayed with peanuts, the nuventop they used to use on cats had organaphosphates in it!

In the end I used to rub my cat with lemon juice for the fleas (I know, cats are supposed to hate orange or lemon etc. but I had an unusual cat (a birman, anyone thats had one will know they are totally weird) he used to lick it off. He was also partial to brussel sprouts! He lived to nearly 20, I still miss him.

Christine

— End quote

Rubbing a cat with lemon juice. :lol:

Vic – the answer is valium. Stuff them up your nose. :lol:

— Begin quote from “scott”

— End quote

:lol:

but as we’ve done eyes and ears now I think we should stop before it gets any lower and messier :smiley:

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

— Begin quote from “scott”

— End quote

but as we’ve done eyes and ears now I think we should stop before it gets any lower and messier :smiley:

— End quote

It should be in the water. That would solve all our problems and those of most of the world…

I get chronic migraine only during the summer, fall months. These are my allergy months. I also take a daily allergy pill (clariten, zyrtec etc, .) allergy shots weekly for almost a year. During the winter months my nose runs like a bloody faucet. I always have a kleenex in my hand or up my sleeve or in my pocket. During the summer months, by nose feels clogged. Can not blow it to save my life. Feel constant pressure in the left side of my head and ear and just wish it would POP! Have not had vertigo in over 2 years thank goodness but topomax at 150 mg daily is all that is keeping the migraines away. I have severe neck and trapezius involvement at this time and can hardly move. My triggers seem to be all allergy and barometric related at this time…along with stress.