Migraine drug dosing

Hi All,

I thought this page might be useful although the dosing seems to start off high for some of the meds such as Effexor and Topamax. It may be that those of us with MAV need to all start on lower doses because of greater sensitivity. At least there are a pile of drugs to choose from:

headachewellnesscenter.com/i … stom/1.cfm

Best … Scott 8)

Scott,

I agree with you about the medicine sensitivity. I am only taking 3/4 of a Verapamil capsule ( I sprinkle it on applesauce ). Dr. Hain had me start out on a half and work myself up. Believe it or not, I think this dose is working for me. I have always been very medicine sensitive. I have not had any side effects. Actually, I had one that went away after about 1 1/2 weeks. I had a hard time falling asleep. I always get that when I start a new med though. It goes away luckily enough. There are a lot of meds out there for migraine, I didn’t realize it.

• Nance

Hi Nance,

I sure know what you mean re med sensitivity. I think most people with migraine probably are quite sensitive to meds. The “migraine brain” likes things to remain in homeostasis and does not like any changes. Drugs, food, blood glucose changes, air pressure, lack of sleep, stress all upset the migraine brain – and no doubt so does a new drug circulating in the body.

Hain also tells people to start Effexor at 1/3 of the 37.5 mg capsule. I know I’d be one of those people who would not be able to tolerate 37.5 mg right off the mark.

Further evidence to my drug sensitivity madness has been the recent increase in the supplement 5HTP that I’ve been using. I started at 25 mg then up to 50, then 75 and yesterday 100 mg. I’ve been feeling crazy anxious for 7 days now and I know for certain it’s the 5HTP. I’m on too much. The minute I went above 50 mg, the trouble started.

Best … Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “scott”

…The “migraine brain” likes things to remain in homeostasis and does not like any changes. Drugs, food, blood glucose changes, air pressure, lack of sleep, stress all upset the migraine brain – and no doubt so does a new drug circulating in the body…

— End quote

Boy, this seems so true. :lol: