Migraine inflammation vs. constriction

I have been reading the Migraine books and have noticed that Migraines and their symptoms are a result of either blood vessel inflammation or constriction. Much emphasis is put on reducing inflammation with medication prescribed, or over-the-counter. Apparently, Dizziness could be the result of CONSTRICTION of blood vessels in the brain, eye or ear. My question is, " Is there anything that can be taken to reverse the constriction of these blood vessels and cause them to dilate?
Brett

Hi Brett,

From my post on “What is migraine?”

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/what-is-migraine/1558

A myth that still exists out there is that migraine is the result of just a vascular problem – that it is caused by vasodilation or the expanding of blood vessels on pain sensitive structures in the brain. We now know that migraine is a neurological disease that involves much more than the blood vessels (blood vessels expand as a result of the attack). Migraine involves aspects of the central nervous system, neurotransmitters and other brain chemicals, electrical impulses, the body’s inflammatory response, the trigeminal nerve (located in the face and head), and others. The physical reaction that begins the migraine attack is called “cortical spreading depression (CSD)”. CSD is a dramatic wave of electrical excitation that spreads across the surface of the brain (the cerebral cortex) and is set off by a migraine trigger. Because the cerebral cortex is involved in language, thought, perception, and memory, it’s often why a migraine attack trashes one or all of these causing cognitive problems. In MAV the hyperexcitability in the brain stem overlaps with the vestibular system and causes the dizziness/ dysequilibrium/ vertigo. After headache, dizziness and/or vertigo is the second most common symptom associated with migraine.

Best … Scott 8)

Yep, but they all give you migraine instead (dilate the blood vessels). Niacin did that for me and diuretics and loads of other stuff. I reckon we have very unstable blood vessels and need something to stabilise them.

Christine

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

Yep, but they all give you migraine instead (dilate the blood vessels). Niacin did that for me and diuretics and loads of other stuff. I reckon we have very unstable blood vessels and need something to stabilise them.

Christine

— End quote

Hmm, what kind of dosage of Niacin are we talking about here? Would be good to know since I likely need supplementation. :slight_smile:

Laser…thanks for using the word Constriction. Over the years i’ve tried to describe my head symptoms as tightness, or tense and even a squeezed like feeling in my head. I think the word “Constriction” is another way of describing it…inside my head feels Constricted. A small amount of medication helps to reduce the constriction but not all of it.

Joe