"Migraine: Mechanisms and Management" - new article

Google recently (this week) launched a new encyclopedia website, with articles written by professionals only (like most encyclopedias, but unlike Wikipedia). Here’s the one on migraine: knol.google.com/k/richard-kraig/ … cK/h0wPsA#

It doesn’t mention MAV at all (or dizziness), unfortunately, but still probably worth a read. :slight_smile:

Thanks Tranquility and thanks for the new Google site - i like anything Google.

I don’t find the following quote from the article to be my experience at all:

For example, blood drawn from a needle stick to the arm generally is well-tolerated because one anticipates the stick and knows what it is. On the other hand, if a patient is in a completely darkened room and someone sneaks up on them and sticks them with the same needle, they are likely to be quite startled and consider the pain as much more severe. This is an important caveat to migraine control – namely a patient’s mood, lifestyle, can influence how they react to pain. Importantly, this also means that things like mood and lifestyle can be used to control pain

I’m always prepared for a needle stick but find it painful or not depending on the skill of the person doing the sticking, or, on the willingness of my vein to accept the needle, or both. My experience is that when doctors put a needle in my arm, it has **always ** been less painful, even though i’ve always known it is coming, either way.

And I’ve always known a painful migraine is coming because of the aura, so maybe i’m being too literal in his analogy and should probably just delete this post. I don’t disagree about stress - it was always my biggest trigger for classic migraine.

What migraineurs have is allodynia and what this guy is saying is that allodynia is because of mood and lifestyle? This guy is from the U of C so certainly he is at the top of his field, and i am just me sitting in my home in NJ, but Hain says that allodynia is caused by the release of inflammatory neuropeptides, which is caused by cortical spreading depression. The release of the inflammatory neuropeptides then causes vasodilation which leads to allodynia.

I know mood and lifestyle are important. I follow the diet. I walk every day. If I could do therapy, I would. But I did a 12 year Jungian analysis and still found myself in an MAV crash.

Thanks for the interesting link, Tran!

Julie

— Begin quote from ____

***Being a migraneur myself, my sense is that avoiding all foods that might trigger migraine would markedly deteriorate quality of life. ***

— End quote

I find that quote coming from a Doctor (top of his field ?) almost absurd. :shock:

Speaking from my own experience, avoiding all foods that might trigger migraine have markedly improved my quality of life. :smiley:

Just my thoughts.
Interesting article. :smiley:

Kim

— Begin quote from “AZdizzy”

— Begin quote from ____

***Being a migraneur myself, my sense is that avoiding all foods that might trigger migraine would markedly deteriorate quality of life. ***

— End quote

I find that quote coming from a Doctor (top of his field ?) almost absurd. :shock:

Speaking from my own experience, avoiding all foods that might trigger migraine have markedly improved my quality of life. :smiley:

Just my thoughts.
Interesting article. :smiley:

Kim

— End quote

He does have a point. I barely have anything left to eat, and I’m NOT kidding! I really, really need to get some new stuff going, because I pretty much have 4-5 things in rotation every single day.

you know, as i was doing my laundry, i was thinking about the way this guy wrote this article. In parts of it, he wrote it down, for the common audience, diluting it using terminology that we can all understand, which left us without a real understanding of ??? Hain’s power point slides do a much better job. I have a copy of them if anybody wants them. I also have a copy of John Carey’s.

I agree with Kim completely, if i weren’t on the migraine diet i would be much more miserable. And doesn’t he know the whole idea is that you can add things back in in order to find out what your triggers are ??? At least he qualified the statement as being in his experience and not a statement of fact. But still - coming from a doctor, and knowing his audience would be patients, he ought to be careful of what he says.

Kim, I used the term “top of his field” loosely, but he’s sure not at the bottom. he did his internship at U of C and his residency at Cornell. He’s well published. And he’s head of the U of C Headache/Migraine Clinic. But i just don’t agree with some of the things he said in that article, or the way he expressed himself. The diet thing, and the analogy to getting blood drawn.

Tranquility, you are rotating a few foods every few days? Is it because you’re that sick to be able to come up with more foods to eat? i eat practically every fruit and vegetable you can grow in the U.S. I’m okay with breads. All meats are fine. I’m fine with milk. Grains (oatmeal with blueberries and milk - yum!!) Do i need to come over there and cook for you? :slight_smile:

For anybody interested in a recipe: today we’re grilling shrimp skewered on rosemary branches (leaves pulled off) - the shrimp will sit in the frige for 30 minutes to let the rosemary infuse into the shrimp. then i’ll toss together bread crumbs, basil and parsley with some olive oil and cover the shrimp with it before grilling. Sound good? tomorrow i’m making a summer vegetable stew. and making grilled veggie sandwiches for lunch.

But i’m remembering now that you’re pretty sick, so you can’t do all this cooking - I’m sorry. I remember those days, it was hard enough for me to get to the kitchen and steam some veggies and rice. That’s all i could do. And even doing that made me so sick it was barely worth it. I would shake the entire time and it took me all day to get that food down. A bowl of oatmeal in the morning and again at night and then steamed veggies and rice during the day. That was it, besides a hard boiled egg for some protein.

You get your doctor to partner up with Hain and get a treatment plan in order for you and then you’ll feel well enough to get some nutrition. Once i started feeling better, i started eating better, it became a viscious cycle, like everything else.

Keep in touch Tranquility, we’re here or ya,

Julie

I’ll agree with you on that Tran.

It definitely is learning a new way to eat. I have to say, if you’re not much of a cook, or don’t like to cook (like me) its a challenge. I used to eat alot of fast food, frozen microwaveable junk, anything quick, fast and easy. Not anymore, and ya know what? I really don’t miss it one bit. I’d have to say, it took me about a year to slowly expand my menu.

Now that I think of it, I’m probably not the norm as far as Migraines and diets go. For me, it was all about eliminating MSG, but sometimes I forget not everyone is like me ( :shock: Go figure !)

Kim

Julie -

You need to come over HERE and cook for ME!!! :smiley:

— Begin quote from “Julie”

you know, as i was doing my laundry, i was thinking about the way this guy wrote this article. In parts of it, he wrote it down, for the common audience, diluting it using terminology that we can all understand, which left us without a real understanding of ??? Hain’s power point slides do a much better job. I have a copy of them if anybody wants them. I also have a copy of John Carey’s.

— End quote

Knowledge = power, so I’d love to see them! Although, I may already have seen Hains (blue background, “Treatment of Migraine Associated Vertigo”?).

— Begin quote from ____

Tranquility, you are rotating a few foods every few days? Is it because you’re that sick to be able to come up with more foods to eat? i eat practically every fruit and vegetable you can grow in the U.S. I’m okay with breads. All meats are fine. I’m fine with milk. Grains (oatmeal with blueberries and milk - yum!!) Do i need to come over there and cook for you? :slight_smile:

But i’m remembering now that you’re pretty sick, so you can’t do all this cooking - I’m sorry. I remember those days, it was hard enough for me to get to the kitchen and steam some veggies and rice. That’s all i could do. And even doing that made me so sick it was barely worth it. I would shake the entire time and it took me all day to get that food down. A bowl of oatmeal in the morning and again at night and then steamed veggies and rice during the day. That was it, besides a hard boiled egg for some protein.

— End quote

First off, thanks for the non-quoted words :slight_smile:
Ugh, that sounds pretty horrible. I’m not quite that bad, and I’m thankful (even though it’s hard to be thankful for living like this!). I mean, I feel crap pretty much all day, but don’t most of us? :slight_smile:
I manage to make the food I need, although for obvious reasons I prefer easy-to-cook stuff, and it can certainly still be “painful” at times.

I guess part of the problem is adding things back, I’m too much of a wuss! :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, do you (well, anybody reading this!) tolerate tomatoes?

— Begin quote from ____

First off, thanks for the non-quoted words

— End quote

Sorry, Tran, i just can’t get a sense for how sick you are, not that I need to :slight_smile: i know that you’re housebound, but i guess you’re not bedridden.

I haven’t tried tomatoes, the entire nightshade family is such a no-no i haven’t had the nerve - someday maybe.

i remember now that the reason Adam didn’t post the slides on this forum was because of copyright issues. Let me check with the person who passed them along to me to make sure it’s okay with her before offering to email them to anybody.

Along with Hain’s, which are on his website (yes Tran, you have seen those), I have John Carey’s from Johns Hopkins and Joanna Jen’s from UCLA.

I’ll be in touch about it.

Julie

Tran-

I do fine with tomatoes, but I go easy on them. I eat them a couple times a week in salads. I’ve not done any pasta dishes or anything with tomato sauce (I make a “mean” alfredo sauce when I do pasta - substituting the parmesan with monterrey). But for the most part, I’m good with tomatoes.

Kim

Hain’s power point slides?
I’d love to get my hands on those litlle beautie’s
where can we buy them? :smiley:
jen

Jen, i’ll email you - JJ