Migraine-related vertigo: a common and important disorder

Hi All,

This editorial appeared this month. Some interesting points to note:

— Begin quote from ____

“There is much trial-and-error in the regular use of [migraine] medications.”

“It is important to publicise the devastation that MAV can cause patients through emotional stress and life disruption that result from it.”

An important clinical experience … is the resistance of patients to the diagnosis that they have migraine. Perhaps with reason, they do not want to be labelled as having a genetically determined and thus life-long disorder that upsets many lives."

“Many complain they don’t really have a problem with headaches, how can they have migraine?”

— End quote

Scott 8)

Hey mate

Really good article - one of the best I have read lately.

Did you have a paper on the incidence of migraine & MAV for people in their twenties. I remember seeing something about that. I’m just curious as to what the prevalence is of developing MAV like I did in my 20’s, as I had no health/migraine probs until I was 22.

Cheers fella

Luke

Hi Luke, yeah this is a really good article – I particularly like when he says, “but now with better recognition, it may be given its due clinical assessments and research”. The science and research community are finally waking up to this and recognising it as an entity in its own right – which means better drugs and treatment down the track.

I’ll have a dig through some papers when I get a chance but as far as I remember, migraine peaks in most people in their mid 30s. That was reflected here when I ran that poll too (hardly a good sample size but interesting anyway). Of course there will always be outliers for which you are one I guess. Interestingly, many kids also get migraine. It’s equal in boys and girls until they hit puberty and then it takes off in women.

S

Luke – check out this page:

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/epidemiology-of-vertigo-migraine-and-vestibular-migraine/879

Fantastic article, Scott. It is very reassuring. I am always doubting this diagnosis and the more literature I read, the more and more I am connvinced of this strange disorder. I particularly like his mention of the hormonal link, as well as verbalizing how widespread it is for people to doubt this dx. I also appreciate his comment about the need to trial and error meds.

Thanks Luke for the article. the only thing that constantly frustrates me is that so many articles speak about the episodes of having dizziness, rather than the chronic nature of dizziness that can occur

Yes I have not read ONE single article witch states that MAV can be 24/7. ???

Hi Mikael and Lisa,

This paper is titled “Chronic Migrainous Vertigo” and describes people (n=16) with chronic vertigo – inclusion criteria was chronic dizziness for at least 6 months. The mean duration of vertigo was 32 months (60–-120 months).

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/chronic-migrainous-vertigo/216

A search on Google Scholar reveals some papers which evaluate treatment of “daily migraine” or “chronic daily headache”. Have a look here:

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=daily+migraine&hl=en&btnG=Search

Given the relatively new acceptance of MAV as an entity in its own right, I think we’ll see more chronic case reports as time rolls on.

Scott 8)

I’m trying to read this article but when I click on the link I get a message that says “cannot extract the embedded font ‘WLHA and adv Times’. Some characters may not display or print correctly.”

Anyone else get this? Any way to get around it? I hate to not be able to read one of the few articles there are on MAV.

Thanks.

Hi Bookworm,

There must be a problem with your PDF reader. Are you on a PC? If so, try downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader, reinstall it, and try again.

There’s actually more papers about MAV than you’d think. I have a bunch more to put up on the site but haven’t had the time. Will get to it sooner or later.

Best … Scott 8)

Bookworm:
I also had the same problem downloading the article. I did open it on my computer at work. I don’t know what the problem is. It may be a more updated version of Acrobat? But I did get to download it and read it.

Joan