Morbid Topic Alert: Donating Body to Science?

Obviously, people have been suffering from terrible vestibular afflictions for a multitude of generations. I have a morbid question. Are there researchers who are actively following people with vestibular issues and are able to document their symptoms through the years and then perform a post-mortem evaluation upon their passing?

I, for one, would be happy to volunteer my “hard-ware” to science when I’m done using it. To be particularly useful, you would think the team of researchers would want to first interview and follow the inflicted individual for a period in “real time” before their death. If I could help in any way for science to really solve the riddle of vestibular issues and help other generations of future sufferers, then it would be worth it to me.

Yes me too! Good idea - I would be more than willing to help contribute to finding a cure for this for future generations!!

Count me in as well. I would gladly donate my body if it helped others with this dreaded disease

I actually talked to one of the docs about this. He stated that it was functional disorder. They have done cadaver studies and found nothing. That was a few years ago so it might be worth asking again. There is a national temporal bone registry in the US for people Semi-circular canal dehiscence.
SAL

— Begin quote from “Sally”

I actually talked to one of the docs about this. He stated that it was functional disorder. They have done cadaver studies and found nothing. That was a few years ago so it might be worth asking again. There is a national temporal bone registry in the US for people Semi-circular canal dehiscence.
SAL

— End quote

Maybe they weren’t looking for the right thing? As you suggested, science continues to advance as well as working theories as to causes of various syndromes. You are right in that it might be worth asking again, but whom should be questioned about this? I’m assuming physicians connected with teaching centers?

I go to Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary- I believe this is a teaching hospital? In the waiting room I picked up a pamphlet that explained that you can sign up to donate your temporal bone for research to this registry thing-

masseyeandear.org/research/e … -registry/

tbregistry.org/index.php?pr= … Bone_Donor

— Begin quote from “sarahd”

http://www.tbregistry.org/index.php?pr=How_To_Enroll_As_A_Temporal_Bone_Donor

— End quote

That’s wonderful, Sarah! Thank you so much. I am absolutely going to sign-up. Note, there is a place you can check to grant permission to donate your brain tissues as well. The packet also includes a detailed medical history form as well as permission to share one’s medical records (including imaging studies) upon your death. Moreover, you can also provide DNA from a cheek swab that will be kept frozen for analysis only after your passing.

Thank you very much for passing along this information. I am wondering if our friends in Europe and Australia (and others on this board outside the US) are eligible to help with this research as well?

Make sure to open Sarah’s second link in the post above this one, since it contains the actual permission form as well as more information on other tissues that can be donated (brain, DNA). For us, I would think this research on the brain and its relationship to the vestibular system would be very pertinent.

Scott, how do you feel about adding a sticky providing information to those on the forum who are interested in how they can donate their pertinent “hardware” after their passing?