(7-DHC) (2). This 7-DHC is distributed throughout the epidermis
and dermis, with highest concentrations in the stratum
spinosum and stratum basale (4). Exposure of skin to sunlight,
specifically to the UV blue (UVB) range of the spectrum
(290–315 nm), results in the photolytic conversion of 7-DHC
to previtamin D-3. Previtamin D-3 is transformed to vitamin
D-3 by a thermally induced isomerization (2). The production
of vitamin D-3 is thought to be regulated by the amount of
UVB reaching the 7-DHC and not by hormonal feedback (5).

the light box that i use to shift my circadian rhythm uses the blue spectrum of light only, so if i’m reading this article correctly, it is also enhancing my vitamin D (whether i need it or not :)) And with that in mind, I was happy to read further along in the article:

It is interesting that vitamin D intoxication has never been
reported because of excessive exposure to sunlight.

So although at this point, it is time for me to cut back on using the box for sleep-related issues, i don’t ever have to worry about getting too much vitamin D due to this particular source.

I want to point out, this is not a full-spectrum light, it uses the blue range of the spectrum only.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Why are you cutting back for sleep related issues, is it because you are sleeping well and dont need it now, or something else. I have just been reading a lot on the Vitamin D thing to do with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (I have been diagnosed with this also). One view is that it helps, but another, “the marshall protocol”, talks about not exposing yourself to Vitamin D and to reduce it. I am interested in the lite box as my sleep since the menopause is very bad.
Best Wishes
Christine

Does it use visible light only, or UV as well? The visible spectrum begins around 380~400 nm, so well outside the Vit. D range IF the device uses visible light only.

good question, i will call them.

Thanks Tranquility, even though you burst my bubble. These lamps only use visible spectrum light.

Shoot, i thought i was killing two birds with one stone.

What a team!

— Begin quote from “Julie”

Thanks Tranquility, even though you burst my bubble. These lamps only use visible spectrum light.

Shoot, i thought i was killing two birds with one stone.

What a team!

— End quote

Anything else might get you an ultra-nasty sunburn, though. :mrgreen:

You are right, and I burn REAL easy. That’s probably why they make these lamps with only visible spectrum. I saw the article and got excited about the vitamin D part.

Ya just couldn’t let me have my fantasy could ya Tran ! :mrgreen:

If anyone is considering those light boxes, here’s how important the timing is: my plan told me to move the timing up 1/2 hour a day. middle of last week i quit sleeping like a baby all through the night. I called the company and them what was going on. They simply said. Go back to the timing where you were sleeping well. The plan is just a plan, generated by a computer, whose input is based on a questionaire you fill out. It does the best it can do.

I felt a little stupid that i hadn’t figured that out myself. I put myself back to the timing that was helpful and within two nights i was sleeping deeply through the night again AND this time, i’m dreaming again. I got my dreams back!!!

That’s the best gift of all. I’ve started journaling my dreams. NOW i’m going to have to update you on when my ship comes :!:

I put myself back to the timing that was helpful and within two nights i was sleeping deeply through the night again AND this time, i’m dreaming again. I got my dreams back!!!

That’s the best gift of all. I’ve started journaling my dreams. NOW i’m going to have to update you on when my ship comes :!:

— End quote

That’s great! :smiley:
Make sure you read up a bit on lucid dreaming if you haven’t already. Having a dream journal is an important first step. I’m unsure whether I’ve had any real lucid dreams yet… I think all of mine have been “false lucid dreams”, i.e. you think you can control them but really can’t. In any case, they too beat regular dreams by far!

For those who don’t know, lucid dreaming means that you can literally be completely aware in your dreams, and do anything (as long as you believe it’s possible, it IS). Needless to say, that can be a LOT of fun, no matter what you choose to do.

while you’re awake, or while you’re asleep?

while you’re awake, or while you’re asleep?

— End quote

When you’re asleep. It doesn’t “take away” any of the sleep either. People who experience it say that it feels exactly like being awake, except you’re not.
In the ones I’ve had, I’ve had telekinesis, the ability to fly, changing the weather/scenery, teleportation, etc. Lots and lots of cool stuff, and as I said, you can do pretty much anything you can imagine! Besides from having a dream journal, the most important step is to do “reality checks” now and then, including when you “know” you’re awake. The idea is that if you do one while dreaming, you’ll realize that fact and become lucid. Common reality checks include pinching your nose and trying to breathe through it (by far my fav - simply cannot work in real life and always works in dreams). Digital watches and reading text are usually total gibberish in dreams, so checking those work too. Light switches rarely work in dreams either. Others say trying to push a finger through the other hand is a good one, but that one always fails for me - dreams included, of course. :mrgreen:

i just checked Wiki and it says that they can be wake-induced. I’ve had those with the help of a Jungian therapist. That’s the way we worked together, until she died. We would start with a dream image and bring it into the room, talk about it’s characteristics, who it is, why it is, who it represents in my life, what it’s wearing and why, etc. Soon, it comes to life and i’m in a dream, dialoguing with this dream image, which is actually a part of myself - which is why it’s a therapeutic process. What an adventure!