MTHR gene mutation

Has anyone been tested for the MTHR gene mutation? See article in today’s Herald Sun (Melb) I couldn’t paste the link. I’ve been reading this site for awhile - have been suffering VM for just over 12 mths and am a patient of Dr W. I will ask the q in my next appt.

Hi
Yes, I have tested positive for 2 copies of the MTHFR Gene…
there is a great website from Dr. Ben Lynch that I recommend you look at if you haven’t already.
www.mthfr.net

What does the article you are referencing have to say?
Since I got the diagnosis, I have been getting VIT B12 shots and it seems to have helped in my general well being. No magic though…

Kelley

Just some background so you can judge for yourself the credibility of information on the site Kelly linked- he is a naturopath and NOT a medical doctor. He also pushes multiple products (supplements, etc.) on his site. No judgment here, but this might be of significance to some…

rockyksmom - what type of doctor did the testing and how expensive was it? I am getting a bit curious about it myself as I watch the research unfold.

Hi
I had elevated homocysteine so that is an indicator. It was a simple blood test and my insurance covered it. My doctor who found it was my gynecologist who specializes in hormones and stuff. There are many polymorphisms within the mthfr gene, and the one I have is the worst, and I have two copies (from each parent).
I think there will be a lot more information coming out on this.
Kelley

— Begin quote from “rockyksmom”

Hi
I had elevated homocysteine so that is an indicator. It was a simple blood test and my insurance covered it. My doctor who found it was my gynecologist who specializes in hormones and stuff. There are many polymorphisms within the mthfr gene, and the one I have is the worst, and I have two copies (from each parent).
I think there will be a lot more information coming out on this.
Kelley

— End quote

Thanks so much for the info. I don’t think I have ever been tested for elevated homocysteine, and if I have, it must not have been an issue. Do you know if any of those online test kit ordering things are reliable? There were two sites mentioned on the site you linked to for ordering and sending in a sample.

Dr.lynch is really passionate about this and if he has a source in his site, I would trust it to be legit. If you have a good working relationship with your doctor, he could write a request and you can probably get any other blood work done at the same time, if you’re due for any. And hopefully insurance would pay for it.
Kelley

Thanks for your replies. I can get the gene test thru my GP - it costs about $65. (In Aust) It’s still a few weeks before I see Dr W so might get it done before my appt. The reason I asked about the test is that the research being done shows it helps migraine in those with that particular gene mutation - but if you don’t have the mutation then probably won’t help. I am currently taking Pizotifen which has improved me to about 80- 90% most days but still looking for improvement.

You’re very welcome.
Whether it helps migraine or not, it’s important to help your body with its lessened ability to detox. On that website it talks about things you can do, and supplements to help. But with mthfr, you can build up toxins, heavy metals etc which is unhealthy.
Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Kelley

The two MTHFR migraine genes that this trial is referring to are the C677T Mutation and the A1298C Mutation. If you have both these mutations then the vitamins used in the trial have been shown to reduce the number of migraine headaches when the tablets are taken on a daily basis.

As Kelley said, if a blood test shows high homocysteine levels then it’s important to have the DNA testing done because if you have mutations on both genes it can point to serious medical problems other than migraine.

My GP organised my test which showed mutation on one gene only. Two of my children have mutations on two genes. They need extra B12 and folic acid & regular checkups.

Barb

Hi Barb,
Yes, I have two copies of the 677T gene…from what I understand, we cannot process folic acid, unless it is the methylated form (kind f like being predigested) because we lack the enzymatic activity. When I got diagnosed with the mutation, my doctor told me to take folic acid. WHen I did blood work later, I had really elevated levels of folic acid in my blood. She said that was a good thing, but to me, it seemed like it was just floating around and not getting used up. So it made sense to me to get the methylated version. It is confusing, to say the least.

Hi Kelley,
Yes, my kids take the MethylGuard Plus by Thorne (from iherb) plus a Bonus folinic acid tablet.
I thought Prof Griffiths paper re the MTHFR research wasn’t due to be published until 2014?
Barb