Neurology is scary too

Guys, this was clearly a personal opinion! I don’t know why it’s caused such a hoo-ha!

I am entitled to my own opinions and my own feelings :slight_smile:

Thanks!

No there are many whose bedside manners are bad.

Even a friend of mine who’s a trauma surgeon said something to me about how I might never get better because ‘it was something evolution would have skipped because it doesn’t kill you.’

You can imagine …

Luckily i’m no longer dizzy and most symptoms are improving so I hope to prove him completely wrong one day … and be an even better example to everyone on this board.

i want to add to this discussion that for me learning that i had MAV was very discouraging, because by then I had read enough about it to know how difficult and lengthy the process is. To put my healing into the next months/ years perspective instead of days/ weeks made me crash emotionally. I did not need to google anything else at that point. So this does not kill you, but can severly affect your quality of life and you have to be strong, patient and resilient to take one day at a time and try to enjoy the little things. Peace all, you have been important in my journey.

4 Likes

I think it’s very personal.

I found my migraine diagnosis, frankly, preposterous, mainly because my original oto-neuro dismissed my ear trauma incident as irrelevant. This made absolutely no sense to me (I got acutely dizzy for 4.5 weeks for the first time in my life 15 minutes after I pointed a shower into my ear). She said it might be down to a ‘genetic mutation’. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

It was for me a ridiculous diagnosis and lead me on to search for more answers than that doctor could provide.

I regret to say that lead to a lot of anxious googling. And I know how that feels, hence the OP.

It caused me a lot of expense to seek other opinions until I was satisfied. Finally I met a great doctor who gave me a diagnosis I could believe in, one that took properly into account my obvious circumstances and which seemed entirely logical to me. Not one that simply came from a check box analysis determined from a committee that had absolutely no tailored relevance to my case whatsoever.

My experience of that, all the information I’ve gathered personally since and the other two opinions has left me a very staunch cynic (about the root cause, it’s obvious migraines are involved!).

I respect not everyone shares my opinion and my unique circumstances have definitely shone a very specific light on the subject.

I also have suffered the neurological symptoms which for me are definitely the fallout of my ear trouble. Of course they are not pleasant, but at least in my case I know not to be scared of them because the villain in my case was my stupidity and my upset ear and not an injured brain. The migraines sucked and the fog was scary at times, but no way does that possibly compare to the fear I have had of losing my hearing, especially as a musician and singer. Thankfully that has so far not happened, but as with everything in these audiovestibular conditions, it’s the fear which often consumes you.

1 Like

I’ve had these I believe, several times … and I agree they are totally debilitating … I was bed ridden on and off for about 3 months with them, once every 3 days. I’m very lucky I no longer get these.

Funny how I never had these before my ear injury, though. Indeed I had had one migraine in my entire life and that was not of a vestibular variety.