Neuro's final answer

Went through the whole story again. he never interrupted. nodded and didn’t appear to overtly stare at my face like i was some sort of curiosity. time enough for that later. he wanted to know why i ‘fired’ my ENT(apparwntly a guy he knows well), i told him about his referral to someone who specializes in inner ear issues, bur rjen roundly dismisses the recommendation to see a neuro until i’d done VRT for a while because he suspected that rhe lack of compensation was related?more to migraine disorder than to inner ear damage.
I do have M.A.V. or ‘complicated migraine’. He whipped?me off topamax ans put me on Verapamil, titratimg up to 240 per day.

Should have added and will (now that i’m not on my cell phone), that once I’d not compensated after 1 week and given my history with recurring dizziness between the two crashes with worsening symptoms this go-round, in his mind, it was pretty much a no-brainer. It screamed NO BRAINER to him.
He credits my GP for having started me on Topamax after the Propranolol didn’t seem to help after a few weeks, but that it was clear to him that it was just making things worse.

He believes that too many of us who have ‘painless’ migraines often get passed over as ‘loons’. It only confirms what I’ve sort of suspected all along - that the ENT thought I was ‘adding on’ - which would explain why try the VRT ‘for a while’ before worrying about a neuro.

Neuro confirms what audio guy has worried about all along - that MAV can worsen inner ear damage.

Hubby came with me.

Neuro says, as he notes, as he checks my chart, “So - you’re experiencing a little anxiety?”
“Yes, she is!” Hubby throws in, making sure everyone knows just how unreasonable I’ve been. chuckle
Dr. W says, “It’s no wonder, sir. Imagine experiencing your life in an empty beer glass. Sometimes you can see clearly over the edge, but for the most part, you’re spending every second of your day trying to make sense of what you’re seeing. And…that empty beer glass isn’t sitting on a table. It’s being carried around by the Joe that emptied it! Add to this all the things that were designed and recommended to make her feel better so far that have been making her feel worse.”

He went on to say that I appear to be dealing pretty okay with it all and that the stuff for my back spasms should be enough to keep me from going overthedeep end.

I think I love me thi sguy.

Oh…and I can return to VRT once wefeel my migraines are under control.

How wonderful to have a super knowlegdgable and understanding doctor behind you! That is half the battle for some:-)

What dose of verapamil did he start you on and how quickly will he get you up to 240 mg ?

Also what is your blood pressure currently if you know?

I am really happy for you. Your doc sounds great!

Be well,
Lisa

You’re going to think this is quackery. :LOL He started me at 40 tid for ‘a few days’, to try it on. If that goes well, take 80 BID for a week ‘or two’ and if that goes well, 80 TID. I see him in a month…and every month for the next several.

I think it is very good medicine.

How is your starting blood pressure???

Thanks!

— Begin quote from "MAVNY"

I think it is very good medicine.

How is your starting blood pressure???

Thanks!

— End quote

120/80 when I was there. Taking Dyazide at the time. Off of Dyazide now. Off of Topamax (which I just paid a freaking bundle for, which I cannot sell at a garage sale, no less…grrrrr)

Did you have very high blood pressure before starting the diazide or was that used for something else?

Did you have very high blood pressure before starting the diazide or was that used for something else?

— End quote

Nope. My blood pressure actually went up a little afterI started Dyazide, which the ENT started me on as a potassium sparing diaretic <----brain fart, I swear.

Thanks for the info. and I wish you luck! I am actually doing a verapmil trial myself and have very low blood pressure and pulse so I am glad to hear that your doc is not overly concerned with using verapamil on you either.

I really hope it works and please keep us posted:-)
Maybe we can both be verapamil success stories… :smiley:

Thanks for the info. and I wish you luck! I am actually doing a verapmil trial myself and have very low blood pressure and pulse so I am glad to hear that your doc is not overly concerned with using verapamil on you either.

I really hope it works and please keep us posted:-)
Maybe we can both be verapamil success stories… :smiley:

— End quote

No ‘maybes’ about it, chickie!. My only regret is that there’s no evidence that Vera (shall we name her thusly) reduces one’s appetite or causes weight loss. Damnitalltohell, Jim! I was willing to stick it out, too!

I LOVE your spirit!!!
Yes, Vera it is and we will be success stories my friend.

Who’s Jim? lol… you just made me laugh, thank you :lol:

GASP You don’t know JIM? Cpt. James T Kirk? :shaking head: I don’t know what to say. :wink:

I am so happy that you found this great doc!!! I think he put your hubby in his place, eh??? Verap is a great medicine and I think you should do very well on it…I have been on it a little over 2 years!!!

Keep us posted!!!

Pam

Good luck to both of you on the Verapamil. I too started on 40 mgs. and that is also where it ended for me.

I hope to read success stories.

Sally

best of luck on the new med