New Doc and New Drug

Hi All,

I met with a neurologist last week who specializes in migraine. I like him very much. He is a great listener and is encouraging a doctor-patient team approach in helping me find relief for my migraine aura symptoms. Anti-seizure meds are his first choice for migraine patients complaining primarily of prolonged aura symptoms. I told him of my horrible Topamax experience, so that one is out. He suggested I start with Zonegran (zonisamide), which is similar to Topamax but has fewer incidences of side effects. I’ll admit, I am a bit nervous. I’m afraid of becoming a bumbling idiot again the way I did on Topamax. I keep asking myself if it is worth the risk. I could continue to live at 80-95% of normal (with an occasional 60-70% bout for a few days) with the diet, supplement, and lifestyle changes I have made. Or, I could try for 100% by taking the gamble of miserable side effects from meds.

Has anyone here tried or known anyone who has tried Zonegran (zonisamide)? From what I’ve read on the web, some users experience the same side effects as Topamax while others experience fewer or no side effects.

Marci

Have you gotten anymore info on Zonegran? I stopped taking Topamax because of side effects. Are you going to take it (Zonegran)?

I know exactly how you feel about living with 80% vs. trying for 100%. Last week I had my head in the sand about all this. I’d stopped the Topamax but hadn’t started my latest med Amitriptyline … just trying to pretend I didn’t need anything. But I have lousy self-control where diet is concerned & had headaches, etc., most of last week. I finally started the Ami Sunday evening.

Hi Joy,

I started taking the Zonegran last Friday and stopped on Tuesday. I have a lot going on right now, so I am afraid to rock the boat. I can function at 80-90%, so that is going to have to be good enough for the time being. I was feeling a lot of anxiety on Monday and Tuesday and just didn’t feel like myself. I don’t know if it was from the med or just stress, but I figured by not taking the med I would at least know what it was. I feel better today. I do plan to give it a try once things settle down in my life.

I know about lousy self-control! :wink: Let me tell you though, following a low-carb diet has been the #1 factor in my getting better to the point I am. Whenever I slip on the diet, I feel the effects. The good thing is, if you stick to low-carb, the worst of the carb cravings go away after three days or so. I’ve never been able to stick to a diet long-term for weight loss, but I believe I will be sticking to it this time in order to feel good.

Keep me posted on the Amitriptyline. I hope it works for you!

Marci