New Glasses

Went to opticians and arranged for some new glasses just in case my old glasses could be affecting me in any way (wrong prescription or something)

Been wearing my new glasses today for first time. This morning I felt fine (as fine can be) but could sense my eyes adjusting to the slightly different prescription. This is quite normal with new glasses as your eyes obviously become so used to the glasses you wear normally.

This afternoon I have really had an increase in the boat , rocking feelings. Its more severe than it has been for weeks and the only difference is the glasses so it must be linked. I am going to push through it as i believe its just a matter of adjusting to the new specs.

anyone else with similar experiences?

Hi Richy

Not with glasses persee, but whenever I try someting new that my brain hasnt experienced before or in a very long while, then it goes nuts and screams “I DIDNT SIGN UP FOR THIS!!” and has a complete malfunction.

So yes, I can certainly imagine anything new is going to send everything screwy especially where your eyes are concerned given it is one of the senses we Mavvers rely most heavily on.

Let us know how you get on with the new glasses after a few days (if you can take it!).

Peace out - Mup

I’m pretty sure a new prescription can cause headaches. If you ARE experiencing a migraine issue, then it isn’t crazy to think that a new prescription could make your migraine issue worse and therefore make your vertigo issue worse.

I originally thought my problem must be in my eyes too. I tried out new glasses and actually got relief for a few days. I thought I had solved the problem but then things came back worse than ever. So it was just fools gold.

Funny part is, now that I’m on the medication, I don’t even use the new glasses I got. :slight_smile: I never really needed them that badly I guess, I just figured I must need something because I was so sick.

Richy, every time I have had new glasses I go through the same old adjustment problem. It never gets any easier and it’s been going on for years now. Just a matter of getting through it, although I’ve often felt like going back to my old lenses but have always persuaded myself to stick it out.

How’s it going now?

Brenda

— Begin quote from “Brenda”

Richy, every time I have had new glasses I go through the same old adjustment problem. It never gets any easier and it’s been going on for years now. Just a matter of getting through it, although I’ve often felt like going back to my old lenses but have always persuaded myself to stick it out.

How’s it going now?

Brenda

— End quote

Hi Brenda

Thanks for asking. I seem to be adjusting now fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Hi, just found this topic, sorry to crash in! I’ve just gotten a new prescription and I’m freaking out a little. It’s only been two days but they are making me feel really really dizzy… Any advice?? :frowning:

A new glasses prescription will definitely make you feel dizzy. They make people without a vestibular disorder a bit dizzy, so with a vestibular disorder it’s worse. The brain has to recalibrate to understand the new prescription. If you have a vestibular disorder this will be harder. I wear contact lenses and can never wear glasses unless I want to be dizzy. There is a slight difference between glasses and contacts even if it is the same prescription. I have never tried to tough it out re switching between the two so don’t know if my brain could cope with switching from one to the other eventually.

The good news here is that the glasses aren’t a ‘trigger’ as such like chocolate or flying say, it is something you can adjust to. You just have to tough it out for a bit and your brain will adjust.

H

Thanks so much Hannah! I tried with contacts today and you are right, it wasn’t as bad. Still, I felt a little dizzy by the end of the day and had to take them off. How long would you say it would take my brain to adjust? My prescription isn’t very strong (1.25 for both eyes) so I don’t really need them when I’m at home, should I wear them anyway to accelerate the process?

I think you will probably know what you can cope with, with regard to how much you wear them. My gut instinct would be that you should try to wear either the contacts or the glasses as much as you can to allow your brain to get used to them. That said if you are horribly dizzy with them on it’s easier said than done.

For people who do have a problem with their prescription, my guess is that glasses are harder than contacts. For me it seems that the fact that the contacts are actually on they eyeballs gives my brain less to contend with. I find with glasses that the rim of the glasses and the glass itself are hard for me to cope with in my sightline and this seems to make it harder.

H