New guy in town

Hello all,

I’ve had 24X7 dizziniess, brain fog, imbalance, cognitive issues, ear fullness, sensitivity to weather, etc. for 11 years now. I have been going to an otolaryngolist because it was thought I may have Menieres. I have only had one room spinning vertigo attack in these 11 years and after doing some more reading, I’m leaning toward some kind of migraine issue.

I just quit caffeine and nicotine is next (I chew 3 4mg pieces of gum per day) and I’m also tapering off of clonozepam (my otolarngolist prescribed this to me to help me sleep).

I have lots of questions but first I would just like to know if anybody is aware of any migraine related issues with the following supplements:

Grape seed extract
MSM
Vinopecitine
Ginger
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc
Fish oil
Turmeric
Parsley
Stinging Nettle
Saw Palemetto
Lysine
Gingko
Lemon Biofavinoid
Potassium

Also, what are some good lunch ideas for somebody who works in an office? What about good “safe” snack ideas?

Thanks

Welcome, New Guy,

You may already know about “Heal Your Headache” by Buchholz, but in case you don’t i wanted to point it out. It will give you a better idea of what’s on the on list and what’s on off list, especially in terms of safe snacks. If you want some safe recipes, i’ve posted quite a few which you can find in the last few pages of the forum.

As far as your list of questions, ginger and ginkgo are said to be good for migraines. I’m sure you’re okay with the fish oil, and magnesium, if only because it’s one of the supplements suggested to take to reduce migraines. I would just Google the rest of the one by one with the name of the supplement and the word migraine and see what hits you get.

Question from me to the forum:

I’ve heard conflicting reports about garlic. Some say that garlic dilates the blood vessels, thus causing migraines. Others say that garlic has anti-inflammatory properties, thus easing a migraine. Does anybody have any real experience with garlic. Buchholz says that garlic is fine. I eat it like candy. I guess i’m going to have to go off it for awhile, (after I’ve finished this week’s meal-of-the-week) and see what happens.

Julie

Thanks for the reply!

One question though regaring Gingko and migraines. My understanding is Gingko is a vasolidator…is that good for migraines?

That wouldn’t be good for migraines. I just saw it on a list of supplements used for migraines. This is the problem with getting information off the internet. The amount of information is so vast and the sources are unaccountable.

If you believe the source that tells you that ginkgo is a vasodilator, i guess i would stay away from it.

This is the problem I’m having with the garlic issue. I’m reading off the internet that it’s a vasodilator but it’s also an anti-inflammatory. so it’s actually given for migraine for it’s anti-inflammatory properties.

This is why doing the elimination diet strictly is so great. you eliminate everything you think might be a trigger for three months to make sure it’s out of your system. Then you add back one thing at a time. Believe me, you’ll know if it’s a trigger. you won’t need to Google and sift through all the info vs. non-info. As Buchholz points out time and again, it’s what triggers YOU that’s important. My sister-in-law found that it was chocolate and pork. She has stayed off of those two things for 20 years and has stayed migraine free. She even eats MSG. It doesn’t trigger her.

We all need to make our own lists.

I’ve started adding back and have found I do fine with pine nuts and tomatoes. I’m thrilled. But i also have quite a few things I won’t be eating for the rest of my life. I have such an MSG fear, i should try that next. Go out and buy some Accent. Do they still make that? That ought to do it!

Julie

Man, I’m confused! :slight_smile:

I just read that vasodilators are good for migraine prevention??? can somebody clarify this, please?
Thanks much!

“Migraine is disease, a headache is only a symptom. Migraine pain is caused by vasodilation in the cranial blood vessels (expansion of the blood vessels), while headache pain is **caused by vasoconstriction **(narrowing of the blood vessels). During a migraine, inflammation of the tissue surrounding the brain, i.e., neurogenic inflammation, exacerbates the pain. Therefore, medicine often prescribed to treat a headache, such as beta-blockers, dilate the blood vessels and therefore can make a Migraine worse.”

migraines.org/myth/mythreal.htm

Heather

Wow, good link Heather, thank you.

I don’t get it though. If I’m reading this correctly, anyone with migraine shouldn’t be taking beta blockers - is that correct??? Am I understanding this correctly???

Kim

Thanks! Does anybody know if Saw Palmetto is a “vasodilator”? I take it for BPH.

— Begin quote from “Julie”

That wouldn’t be good for migraines. I just saw it on a list of supplements used for migraines. This is the problem with getting information off the internet. The amount of information is so vast and the sources are unaccountable.

If you believe the source that tells you that ginkgo is a vasodilator, i guess i would stay away from it.

— End quote

That’s what’s weird about verapamil: it’s a vasodilator, yet it is used for migraine.
Don’t try to make me explain it, because I don’t have much of a clue. :slight_smile:
I did however read a study where they ran MRA’s on the brains of people having a migraine attack (induced by nitroglycerine). The blood vessels dilated 6-30%, but only for a short time. They were normal after that, while the migraine was going on.

Propranolol and other beta blockers are FDA approved as migraine preventatives. The eMedicine article listed on the main page of this forum states:

Beta blockers:

Are effective in prophylactic therapy possibly by blocking vasodilators, decreasing platelet adhesiveness and aggregation, stabilizing the membrane, and increasing the release of oxygen to tissues.

Kim, don’t stop taking those beta blockers :slight_smile:

Julie

Regarding verapamil, the same eMedicine article states that it works by the following actions:

Inhibits calcium ions from entering slow channels, select voltage-sensitive areas, or vascular smooth muscle.

Dr. Hain also states that it has a anticholinergic effect, which in an of itself is preventative.

Julie

New Guy,

You listed turmeric, Buchholz claims that all spices are A-OK.

Julie

Another thing regarding beta blockers and MAGNUM

On the site Heather cited, MAGNUM, they give a lot of good info about beta blockers as a preventative. They don’t talk about the specifics regarding why they are effective, but they do talk about dosing, possible SE’s, drug-drug interactions, etc. It’s worth a look, not only for that med, but for any preventative you might be on.

I took a look at that site a year ago, it’s much better now - thanks for bringing it to our attention, Heather!

Julie

More interesting stuff on beta blockers. I pulled this off of Rxlist.com, another site used by healthcare professionals when they want more detailed pharmacology, etc than epocrates gives:

*Beta-blockers are a class of drugs that block the effects of beta-adrenergic substances such as adrenaline (epinephrine). By blocking the effects of adrenaline, beta-blockers relieve stress on the heart by slowing the rate at which the heart beats. Beta-blockers have been used to treat high blood pressure, angina, certain types or tremors, stage fright, and abnormally fast heart beats (palpitations). They also have become important drugs for improving survival after heart attacks. Beta-blockers have been used for many years to prevent migraine headaches.

It is not known how beta-blockers prevent migraine headaches. It may be by decreasing prostaglandin production, though it also may be through their effect on serotonin or a direct effect on arteries. *

Julie

I found a list of herbs that are supposedly good for migraines. Here’s the link. Don’t know how accountable they are, but they do list saw palmetto and nettle.

emedicinal.com/diseases/migraine.php

Balm
Basil
Betony, wood
Boneset
Buck bean
Bull nettle root
Butterbur
Butternut
Cannabis
Carrot, wild
Catnip
Centaury, European
Chamomile
Cinnamon
Cleavers
Clematis
Clover, red
Cohosh, black
Coltsfoot
Cowslip
Culver’s root
Cumin
Damiana
Dandelion root
Dogwood, Jamaican
Dropwort
Elder, black
Ergot
Fennel
Feverfew
Flag, blue
Fringe tree
Gambir
Garlic
Ginger, wild
Ginkgo biloba extract
Hops
Indian hemp, black
Iris, stinking
Jeffersonia
Kudzu, root
Lady’s mantle
Lavender
Marjoram
Marshmallow root
Meadowsweet
Mignonette
Mistletoe, European
Motherwort
Mugwort
Mullein, common
Mustard seed
Nettle
Nettle, dwarf
Palmetto, saw
Pennyroyal
Pepper, pippli long
Peppermint
Peony, tree
Peppermint
Primrose
Red root
Rosemary, tea
Rue
St. Benedict thistle
Sage
Senna
Sesame, black, seeds
Shepherd’s purse
Skullcap
Speedwell
Sticklewort
Thistle, blessed
Thyme
Turtlebloom
Valerian, fragrant
Vervain, European
Violet
Viper’s bugloss
Virgin’s bower
Willow
Wintergreen
Woodruff
Yam, wild
Yerba mate’
Yerba santa

Thanks a bunch Jul - you’ve been working hard today!!! :smiley:

I gotta admit, when I first read Heather’s link, I about hit the floor!!! No, I won’t be stopping the propranolol anytime soon, its done me too much good, but for a short while there, I thought “Geez, I can stop the Prop now and probably be 100%”!!!

Bummer … :wink:

Kim

Well, Kim, maybe you should try and see! you be the ginea pig and let us know, okay? The proof is in the pudding, right?