The Vestibular Disorders Support Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

New Here and Frustrated!

Hi all! I’m Ashley and I’m new here, although I have been lurking on the boards over the last few months or so. I’ve been dealing with VM/MAV for 2 years now, shortly after the birth of my second child.

I guess this post is about getting some reassurance! I finally found a combo of meds that works for me (37.5mg Venlafaxine XR and Botox), however over the last few days I’ve been having a flare up of symptoms and of course I am starting to panic thinking that I’m going back into the 24/7 cycle. I have been doing pretty good symptom-wise since I started this med combination, with a tiny little blip here and there, but mostly I felt normal. It’s the best I’ve felt in 2 years! Someone please tell me it’s possible to have longer flare-ups and then go back to where you were before the flare up? I know my anxiety over it all isn’t helping things!

Very possible. Read my diary. And get a grip on that anxiety. It’s meat and drink MAV fuel.

1 Like

Thank you! I will give it a read!

The whole MAV experience is a real roller coaster of a ride or at least that’s how I’ve found it. It’s easy and oh so natural to get down when it’s at its worst, then get euphoric through a good spell to the point you think you’ve hacked it and then down with a huge bump as you hit the next hurdle. And, as your heading suggests, it’s really frustrating. A most frustrating condition indeed. Knowing virtually. I thing of your history, maybe if you become a regular poster, you may feel inclined to run your own PD at some stage. If you Search there’s lots of post partum mothers passing through. Sure you’ll find the archive interesting. If it comes to trialling medication don’t forget to mention the anxiety because then the medics can make a more defined choice of meds for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight! I do always think I’m rid of this beast when I feel normal again. I’m usually ok if I have an attack that lasts for a few hours to a day- It’s the days long flares that cause me to panic. I’m thinking of maybe upping the venlafaxine to combat some of the anxiety. I will say I have come a long way both physically and mentally since this all started though!

2 Likes

Hi Ashley,

I’m so sorry to hear you are going through that. I am pretty new to this forum as I just started having symptoms 2 months ago. While I’m no expert in management, I’m sending you support, prayers and hope this is just a blip in the timeline for you. :pray:

3 Likes