New here..have med question. Please help!

Hello,
This is all very new and confusing to me. Ive had brain fog, dizziness, loss of concentration, ect for over 8 months. Finally went to a Neurologist who thinks I may have MAV. He wants to start me on 180mgs of Verapamil a day, but I’m scared to take it. I exercise quiet a bit and am scared of what the meds will do to me? Is it safe to take verapamil and do 40 minutes of cardio and sweat alot??? Working out is very important for me tomanage my stress level. Any feedback will be most appreciated.

thank you, Kat

Hello,

In my experience it’s often a good idea to start at a much smaller dosage and take it up slowly. This way you get to see what effect the drug has on you and if you can tolerate it without jumping in the deep end. MAVers are often sensitive to medication. I wouldn’t be scared of taking a drug in general. Without drugs I would be a mess with the MAV, they gave me my life back. If you find verapamil doesn’t agree with you there are loads of other drugs you could try. I think someone recently posted the extensive list of all the potential migraine preventatives.

I found this article on the net about verapamil and exercise.
H. Petri1, B. G. Arends1 and M. A. van Baak1, 2

(1) Department of Pharmacology, University of Limburg, P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
(2) Institute for Sports Medicine Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Accepted: 28 May 1986

Summary In a double-blind cross-over study, the effects of verapamil on the cardiovascular and metabolic changes during a progressive maximal exercise test were studied in 12 healthy volunteers. Each subject was treated with placebo and verapamil in 3 different dosages: 3×40, 3×80 and 3×120 mg · d−1 in random order. Drugs were administered for 2 days; on the 3rd day, 2 h after the last dose, a progressive exercise test until exhaustion was performed on a bicycle ergometer. No significant differences in maximal exercise capacity were found between the 4 groups of medication. , , and were also unaffected by verapamil administration. Heart rate during exercise was reduced dose-dependently (p<0.001). With the highest dose of verapamil, maximal heart rate was reduced by 13±1 beats · min−1. No effect could be shown on parameters of carbohydrate and fat metabolism. Perceived exertion, estimated by the Borg scale, did not differ between placebo and the 3 medication groups. The study shows that despite a distinct reduction of heart rate, maximal exercise capacity remains unaffected after verapamil use.

Hannah,

Thank you very much for responding. Im going to talk to the neurologist and ask him to prescribe a smaller dose of verapamil. I80mgs seems just seems to high for me. Im 102 pounds. will go from there…thankyou again. I can’t believe this is happening to me. It came out of NOWHERE!
katherine