Newbie trying to get my head around it all....

Hi, I take pizotifen under Dr S. I’ve just gone up to 4mg but it has taken me just over a year to build up to that. Have you to stick on 3 tabs a day or are you going up further? I was told after 1mg to stick with each increment (1 tablet increase) for at least 8 to 12 weeks so my body could get used to the dose and see if that was teh therapeutic dose for me. Do you take all 3 tablets at night? If you split the dose to two at night and one in the morning it might not make you so drowsy at night.

As to the slow gut, it is an issue but I had a worse time on that front a low dose of amitriptyline. I’m taking magnesium and b2 tablets (as advised by Dr S) and that has helped my gut motility somewhat. I’ve gone up a dress size from 12/14 to a sixteen but I’ve decided to live with that. You won’t be on the pills for ever.

It’s pretty early days for you on pizotifen. Two weeks and already up to 3 tablets, well done, Perhaps if you give it a week of two things will settle. It took me about a week each time I increased before the drowsiness and increased dizziness settled. A poster here Gidablu has taken a combo of pizotifen and gabapentin:

If you search there will be lots of threads about gabapentin.

Several years ago I took the dose of pizotifen you are on straight away (under my GP for migraine headaches) and it really knocked me out. I slept through really loud alarms and missed a school pickup so gave up after a week. So I do understand not wanting to be like a zombie around children) I wish I had stuck it out a bit. I’ve not been too drowsy this time round as I’ve crawled up on dosage like a snail.

If you don’t like the idea of taking gabapentin, I’m sure Dr S would prescribe something else. (He originally prescribed Pregablin for me, suggested a swap to candesartan but after a chat I somehow and still can’t work out how, I ended up on pizotifen).

Good luck

2 Likes