New Member - This Worked for Me

I am 55 years old and have been dealing with all the things you guys talk about since I was about 20. About 5 years ago I started on the Atkins diet. After a few months I realized that I was not dizzy and “foggy” anymore and had not had any migraine episodes for some weeks. My eyes were functioning better and my ears didn’t feel pressure. That made me think that something in my diet was causing the dizzyness. Of course I didn’t stay on the diet (would have liked to but it isn’t realistic in this world).

By chance I got two really bad dizzy spells when I hadn’t eaten too many different things. By trial and error I found out that the main culprit for me is high fructose corn syrup. It is in almost everything but by careful label reading I have made my life so much better. If I get a dizzy spell now I can either trace it back to eating something I thought was high fructose corn syrup free (they started putting it in a tomato sauce I use that they didn’t use to use it in) or wild hormone swings from menopause. (I have been staying away from sucralose as well because I think it is a trigger, but I am not certain about that one. I have no problem with aspertime.)

I’m am not doing too well right now because I can’t resist all the Christmas goodies and haven’t been careful about what I have been eating. It is so sad that even though I have been symptom free for so long, this one episode has brought back all the feelings of helplessness and despair and shame that I went through all those years. It just breaks my heart to read all your stories. I really hope that my solution works for some of you too.

First of all welcome and thank you for sharing what has worked for you.

I think this may be a trigger for me also as I have cut out all of the high sugar foods and simple carbohydrates (which convert to sugar once eaten) and it has helped me more than anything I have done so far.

Now not all of my symptoms are gone but they are much more manageable and it is a wonderful feeling to be able to function now as opposed to several months ago when I was all but house bound and in the bed much off the day.

I think diet plays such and important role in all of this but the problem is you have to be disciplined to be able to follow it. I was very proud of myself this year as there was all kind of goodies around but never wavered except for one very small piece of cake and so far I have been okay. Hated that I could not eat the fudge but as sick as I have been it just was not worth it to even go there.

Now if I could just alleviate all fragrances in my path I think I would be fine…

Hi mattsmom,

It’s probably not the HFCS but the blood glucose spike it gives you that may be the cause of your trouble. It might also be some insulin problem (insulin spikes follow glucose spikes) … but no idea.

I completed my PhD in biochemistry in 2006 and my thesis examined carbohydrate and cardiovascular disease risk. Basically, it focused on the glycemic index which describes the way carbohydrate affects your blood glucose. Following an Atkins diet was a low carb diet which had a similar (but unsustainable as a diet as you pointed out) effect on your blood glucose levels. A low GI eating style will allow you to keep glucose spikes from occurring and make for good eating that you can follow for life (note that low GI is NOT low carb).

Read more about the GI here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Best … Scott 8)

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hi mattsmom,

It’s probably not the HFCS but the blood glucose spike it gives you that may be the cause of your trouble. It might also be some insulin problem (insulin spikes follow glucose spikes) … but no idea.

I completed my PhD in biochemistry in 2006 and my thesis examined carbohydrate and cardiovascular disease risk. Basically, it focused on the glycemic index which describes the way carbohydrate affects your blood glucose. Following an Atkins diet was a low carb diet which had a similar (but unsustainable as a diet) effect on your blood glucose levels. A low GI eating style will allow you to keep glucose spikes from occurring and make for good eating that you can follow for life (note that low GI is NOT low carb).

Read more about the GI here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Best … Scott 8)

— End quote

I couldn’t agree more with this!

Rich