New Perspective!

One good thing about this illness is that I have a brand new perspective on things. I’ve learned so many lessons about what’s important in life (GOOD HEALTH) and try not to sweat the small stuff. I just wish I was better so I can actually implement these good lessons. It is just so interesting to see what some other people dwell on. I sometimes read through this pregnancy board, and so many women complain about what seems to be so trivial, such as slight weight gain (well isn’t that expected when pregnant), not being able to eat deli meats, etc. I, though, used to complain about simple things too, like a minor cold. Boy have I learned a good lesson. Do others feel like they have no patience for others complaints since being ill?

— Begin quote from “MAVLisa”

One good thing about this illness is that I have a brand new perspective on things. I’ve learned so many lessons about what’s important in life (GOOD HEALTH) and try not to sweat the small stuff. I just wish I was better so I can actually implement these good lessons. It is just so interesting to see what some other people dwell on. I sometimes read through this pregnancy board, and so many women complain about what seems to be so trivial, such as slight weight gain (well isn’t that expected when pregnant), not being able to eat deli meats, etc. I, though, used to complain about simple things too, like a minor cold. Boy have I learned a good lesson. Do others feel like they have no patience for others complaints since being ill?

— End quote

I think above all else it has helped me put in perspective what is really important in this life of ours and if I could do it over again how I would not let the small stuff bother me and would enjoy life so much more than I did or am able to now.

I was so obsessed earlier in life with my house being clean, things always being in their place, obsessed about being a perfectionist about most everything in my life. Now non of that matters as much because I look back and realize how much I missed out on with being consumed with things being perfect.

I told my brother not long ago to quit worrying about the house being perfect or the yard being perfect enjoy your life, enjoy your family because you never know when things may change and in the end you can never go back and make up time.

There was a lady on another board I go to complaining about one of her kids acting up or getting on her nerves and I said what I would do to realize that is what I had to worry about but more than that I would love to go back to the day of spending those earlier days with my children, they are both grown now. I am just thankful I was well when they were younger to enjoy their growing up.

Yes this illness puts a different perspective on life and what is important …keep the faith Lisa that one day we can all put these lessons into practice, and oh what a joyous day that will be for us all.

The only thing that I REALLY hate about all of this is when I have to cancel plans. Especially when it is my kids. I know people are thinking that I really don’t want to do what ever it is that I have made plans for, and I am just making up excuses. (I have heard stuff second or third hand from people about this, even my mother thinks that I am making it up and she is a nurse!) I have even been accused of faking my dizzyspells before, but I can except that to a limited extent. It is the disapointment on my kids’ faces when I tell them that I can’t do something.

Everything else I can except. I quit drinking and smoking many years ago, and I have learned many coping techniques as part of quitting. It also helps that I have a very loving and supportive wife, who helps me through life, and she is blind.

It is also part of her strength that I feed off of. I am learning right now to accept that I have a disability, and through her I am reminded that a disability is not a show stopper, it just means that you have to figure out how to do things differently, and accept the fact that there are things that I cannot do.

Timeless - hindsight is 20/20, indeed. I would do so many things differently. I just hope we get the chance to practice all that we learned soon.

Brian - that must be so difficult with kids. I’m glad that your wife is such a source of support. I am sorry that some others do not believe you. I am working on trying not to worry as much about what others think, but that is very hard. I tend not to cancel plans, as I just don’t make any. I am so sick consistently everyday that I know that I cannot ever do anything. It is a sad existence right now for me. hopefully, that will change.

Wow, I totally agree…I try not to make any long term plans, b/c I don’t know from day to day, moment to moment, how I will feel. I have some friends who think I’m just a complainer or party pooper when I cancel plans or say I’m not feeling well, especially b/c this isn’t a visible illness. For me, it’s the constant nagging from my mom that I’m single and I am not out there dating or trying to meet anyone…which is really hard b/c most of the time when I am out with my friends who know me already, I can’t even have a great time…so trying to get to know new people is even worse. Tonight I have a wedding to go to, and all I feel like doing is lounging on the couch and reading…ugh…I hate this illness.

I agree with all of you. It for sure puts life in a whole new perspective once you have been ill like this for so long. The little things that used to irk me have faded into the background and no longer bother me.

Like many of you I do not make plans. Here is why…
I may feel okay on any given day, but I KNOW that shopping, going out to eat, seeing a movie etc. will be tollerable that day but the following two or three days is when I really feel MISERABLE and it is just not worth it to me.

It is difficult when my friends all want to go out and they don’t understand why I don’t. Not many of them want to stay in every weekend and sit around and watch a movie or what not. I can’t wait to get my life back!

Sarah

Sarah,

I second that. I say MANY times of day that I want my life back. I didn’t realize how good it was before I lost it. But, we’ll get there and appreciate it so much more. I never took the good things for granted, but I think I could have been even happier with my life. Just the little things would make me happy now. I can’t wait to get there.

Lisa