New symptoms after quitting meds

I figured I would ask a few questions for my international consultant group here :slight_smile:

I tried Propranolol 80mg a day for 5 weeks and it did nothing, but shortly after quitting, I started getting an occasional rocking sensation. Is it possible for a medication to cause new symptoms? I experienced the rocking for a few weeks around that time, then it pretty much went away. Then I had ear surgery to repair a suspected perilymph fistula and the rocking came back pretty badly.

Also, does anyone have a slow spinning sensation that is constant?

I’m by no means an expert but I would think it’s highly unlikely that the meds caused an exacerbation in your MAV symptoms. It might simply be discontinuation symptoms since the rocking showed up shortly after quitting. I think Propanolol affects your heart rate/blood pressure, so maybe you’ve become aware of your heart beat as soon as you quit. Is your rocking sensation in sync with your heart beat?

Thanks for your opinion. I dont think the rocking was in sync with my heartbeat. I experienced the rocking for a few weeks around that time, then it pretty much went away. Then I had ear surgery to repair a suspected perilymph fistula and the rocking came back pretty badly.

anyone else have an opinion?

So the rocking you experienced after stopping propranolol went away for a bit? But it came back after your surgery?

I would also have to agree that it is highly unlikely for the med to have caused a new symptom, especially if that symptom went away. It does sound like discontinuation (withdraw) symptoms to me. The fact that the rocking came back after surgery makes me think it’s directly related to the ssurgery and not the medicine you were previously taking.

In any case, I hope the rocking stops for you, like now!!

So the rocking you experienced after stopping propranolol went away for a bit? But it came back after your surgery?

I would also have to agree that it is highly unlikely for the med to have caused a new symptom, especially if that symptom went away. It does sound like discontinuation (withdraw) symptoms to me. The fact that the rocking came back after surgery makes me think it’s directly related to the ssurgery and not the medicine you were previously taking.

In any case, I hope the rocking stops for you, like now!!

Thanks Anne!

Yeah the rocking was pretty noticeable for 1 month, then I would only get it occasionally after that. It came back after surgery, but it has been improving a lot each week.

I want to bump this thread to see if anyone else has an opinion.

Possibly the symptoms occured because you did something different - i.e. quit meds and the other time had surgery. The migraine brain is very delicate and fears change.

Just my two cents.

Vic