The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

New Treatment for BPPV and bespoke VRT

New treatment highlighted in the Daily Mail (I know), a machine at London ENT hospital and one in Leciester. Apparently it’s a common treatment in France. Just the thought of getting in that machine makes me feel queasy.

At the end of the article it also details another treatment that uses VR simulions of trigger situations such as supermarkets and crowds to measure responses and sway etc to then produce targetted exrercises to help deal with them. Not sure If I think it would exacerbate things or help.

Hmmm. I would be very careful with this.

Crystals dislodged? What a load of rubbish. They are held in a tissue matrix and if dislodged would not magically reattach from violent movement.

Vestibular medicine is so full of BS.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this to our attention on here. Interesting.

Well I wonder about Jacqui. She sounds like a MAVer to me. What happened to all the ‘theories’ about BPPV only lasting a few seconds. I’ve read all over that if your ‘BPPV’ lasts more than a few minutes ie is totally episodic it isn’t BPPV, it’s something else. I was misdiagnosed for 12 years with BPPV and had nearly as many Epley’s as hot dinners. Then I was told by an ENT that I shouldn’t be that ill ie in bed 72 hours at a time, with what I had wrong with me, ie a BPPV diagnosis!

Personally a whole team of wild horses wouldn’t get me in the same room as that machine. i doubt I’d walk again unaided for months.

Quite surprised really I thought the crystal theory was old hat these days. Must admit I find it totally unbelievable. If bits were moving/falling about in peoples ears like that every time anybody tipped at certain angles why aren’t there ambulances awaiting next to every roller coaster in the fairground? And how do they persuade these errant crystals to stay in their ‘proper’ place once they get tipped back there. Helen

1 Like

I totally agree that Jacqui sounds like a MAV’er and thought the same that BPPV only last a few minutes so why is she being diagnosed with BPPV.

Love you guys for a reality check. yep, a lot of BS in vestibular medicine.

:laughing:

2 Likes

I would dearly love to get hold of some of the medics behind these things and give them an opinion. They might not take much notice but it would make me feel a lot better! Cant really blame the papers, they only print what they were told (we hope) but it’s often misleading. Doesn’t just extend to medical issues but everything. Recently there was an article on turnip greens as being a new-to-UK, must-have fashion food originally an Italian peasant food now taking off in top London restaurants. Nothing new to the UK about it. My husband’s family was growing it in South West of England virtually one hundred years ago! Helen

1 Like

Sure is and confusion is added because the medics - I refuse to all them ‘experts’ - don’t even all sing from the same hymn sheet. How come Jacqui gets diagnosed with BPPV and VN when she distinctly mentions ‘head pressure’. The last ENT I saw categorically denied to me that any form of head pressure was involved in BPPV. ‘That’s nothing to do with it’, he said! Yet? Perhaps that’s why they say medicine is an art. If this is anything to go by it’s far too illogical to be classed as a science.

1 Like