Nice scientific study on supplements)

What dosage do you take and did you start at that? The kind I got is expensive but says 150mg daily (got it at whole foods so there should be no msg in it hopefully). I read on our forum that it can take up to 2 months to show results. I took it once today and feel a little dizzier so we’ll see how long I keep at it (may not)

150 mg. It’s spendy, but I’ve found it worth it.

Hi

Can I ask what you take Gingko for? Just interested to know. I took it a while years before MAV. Cannot remember why now I decided to try it in the first place. I stopped because it seemed to give me headaches, just ordinary headaches, not migraine. Seeing it mentioned here reminded me of it. I checked out Wiki on the internet and found its additional side effects can include: “gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, heart palpitations, restlessness” - the first six of which remind me of an acute MAV attack. Obviously not everyone gets side effects at all, and you must feel it helps you. I can’t think for the life of me why I embarked on it briefly at all. Helen

Yeah unsure it’s worth it if it gives me dizziness as I’m already trying to finish a dissertation asap. What time of day do you take it? I can try it again tonight to see if the dizziness is too annoying

And with your Keto diet, have you found you’re gaining fat from eating a higher ratio of fat?

No, I lose fat but retain muscle. And all my metabolic blood markers have dramatically improved including lipids, triglycerides, cholesterol, insulin and glucose. But, the carbs must remain low. There’s a lot of science behind it.

I take Petadolex and Dolovent in the morning and evening.

So you take 75 mg of Pentadolix in the morning and 75 in the evening and do you take them with meals? I already take vitamin B two and magnesium and Coq 10 did nothing for me and if I recall dolovent are those three things so I’m not taking that

Yes, I take them in those dosages and with meals. Dolovent is formulated to match clinical migraine trial dosages of the various components. I ditched five bottles of the individual compounds for just the one.

It takes a good 2-3 months to see benefits.

Do you think it’s like preventatives where you’re supposed to push thru the side effects if you can handle them? I can try to push thru the dizziness. Mine are in 50mg pills so I’ll try one in am and two pm unless dizziness is too bad

I do.

Awwww, don’t be silly, Beth! Delighted to have you here, it’s always a pleasure to hear from you. Hope your beast is not being too mean at the moment.

2 Likes

Thank you, James!! I have been lurking, because…well…it seems I have told my story so many times and repeated myself again and again. Keep waiting till I can post a ‘success’ story, but then another glitch pops up! Mostly functional these days, but still those few second ‘earthquakes’/free fall/ greying out/call it what you will…and sometimes visual disturbances from ‘screens’, light,etc !!
On the positive side - after 6 months of battling with almost complete deafness - the hearing in my ‘formerly good’ ear came back as suddenly as it left!! Accompanying it was 2 weeks of feeling ‘free’ of the beast ! But then the episodes returned with sharp fluctuations in baromatic pressure - which seems to remain my biggest trigger! The hearing is still partial as before, but waaaay better than the previous 6 months. Now I need to have the hearing aid re-calibrated as it is far too sensitive - and largely unnecessary - except that it does help for T.V. I would love to believe (as my hubby does) that the CBD oil has ‘fixed’ whatever caused the loss…but experience has taught me that things can change in a heartbeat!! Just listening to my music whenever I can so that if it goes again, my memories are fresh!!:grinning:
I have also been following a good Meniere’s Awareness FB page which is attempting to raise awareness of the terms ‘vestibular’ and ‘Vertigo’ within the general population…??? Would’nt that be nice if they could!! It seems from many studies that the jury is still out as to whether Meniere’s progresses to MAV symptoms- or weather they are 2 different syndromes and some of us have both. Still the only difference with M seems to be hearing loss, which certainly includes me :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Whatever!!! Still great to visit here - and hope you are all doing well.

1 Like

My neurologist said that “the research on Pentadolex indicates that it’s an extract that’s refined in a certain way to have less of the potentially liver-toxic ingredients than whole herbal butterbur (but it still has some). On the other hand, the active ingredient is the same as butterbur, so if regular butterbur wasn’t effective before, it’s unlikely Pentadolex would be. And it’s not like even the Pentadolex kind is 100% liver-safe. I’d say on the whole, not worth it.”

I told her that I only took butterbur for a month before and I read that it takes 2 to 3 months for it to show any positive results and she said that given that it didn’t show any results in a month and given the liver toxicity element of it that it’s not worth it so I think I’m going to hold off though I hate giving up on it but I trust my neurologist (I’m also almost done with my fourth month on Aimovig and have two months of it to go before giving up on it)

I can only say what works for me. And, I have my liver tested regularly for another condition. It’s fine. The Petadolex used to be the only thing I needed. Then I went off it, got careless with my diet, got exposed to giant triggers and when all sorts of acute and chronic. Maybe someday I’ll go back to just Petadolex and let go of the Rx meds.