Nutraceuticals & supplements

Hmm. I wonder why the mag isn’t working for you yet. Have you made sure you’re taking it without any other calcium at the same time? I think avoiding dairy or other fortified things when you take it might help? I started the b2 and coq10 at the same time too so maybe that was helpful. Gosh I really want you to feel better. Have you tried cutting out gluten and/or dairy? Also see if certain fruits trigger migraines for you. I sometimes suspect that pineapple and/or melon trigger them for me. I really need to stop pushing my limits. I agree! I just want to be able to go back to the old ways but I can’t. :slight_smile: I probably should try a raw food diet or something and really get healthy. Very great that you have two boys!!! xx

Guys! Do the optokinetic video!! It’s all about habituation. I was at 11-seconds yesterday and got up to 18-seconds today!! Watch it on your phone, not your laptop. Also, sometimes I cheat and watch it sans contacts or coke-bottle glasses (I have wildly bad vision) and it’s far easier to do when you’re near-sided. So if you are near-sided, watch it on your phone, without glasses or contacts. It gets easier every day - just don’t let it overwhelm you. Watch it as long as you can muster, then throw your phone across the room, close your eyes and turn out all the lights and wait until you return to your baseline. Then return to it the next day. Somehow the video helps train your eyes to deal with really jarring stuff like watching TV, riding the subway (my biggest hurdle) and other really motion sensitive things.

And seriously Liv - DON’T PUSH YOURSELF. I did the exact same thing as you last year. I got off all my meds and thought vestibular therapy could cure my migraines (well, I had no idea I had migraines, I just thought I was dizzy and was like, anticonvulsants are you effing kidding me?? that’s cray) and now I have total strangers carrying me off the subway. So let me serve as a cautionary tale. I understand how liberating feeling normal is but stick to your routines, meds and migraine diets: we still don’t have cures for migraines - we just have lifestyle adjustments, medications and supplements. I would hate for you to trigger a migraine cycle like what I have. Some of us in this group are really, truly disabled - you don’t want to risk finding yourself in that place. Take baby steps and outline a month-by-month plan with your neurologist (I love outlining plans with my neurologist - we make lists together). Our brains are very sensitive… just don’t provoke anything too soon.

As for attitude, yeah! Positivity is my beat. My family doesn’t live here and I live alone… so positivity is all I have! I figure I’m going to get better a lot faster if I stay positive and goal-oriented. Migraines are deeply embedded in anxiety & depression; and, if we let that get the best of us, the migraine wins - so why not get ahead of the migraine and do everything to stay up-beat? Go to therapy, work out, face your emotions, cry when necessary… but most of all, don’t feel like a victim. The dizziness is just a migraine. If I can talk it down then it’s not as big of a scary monster any more. If that makes sense. Pot also helps.

@Fussyfussy - check the ingredients of your supplements to make sure they don’t have hidden triggers like msg in them. You unknowingly could be hurting yourself. Also supplements take a long effing time to actually work (my neuro said up to three months). We’re all so desperate for instant results that we hope for an overnight effect but it can take time. If you want instant effects, drink more water (I like super cold Smart Water because it has electrolytes - I keep it super cold because that has a wake up! effect). Also… ride your recument bike for 15-20min ( :ghost: ). I almost always ride on super duper migraine days because the endorphins help curb pain. The other thing that helps with super migraine days is Imitrex (took one last night, probably have a date with one tonight). I wish I had a magic wand answer but really what works for me is riding the bike, taking a hot shower and eventually crawling into bed with an imitrex. Which is typically how my day unfolds.

…and you thought I was going to get through a post without recommending riding the bike, didn’t you? :person_tipping_hand:

haha Primer, you’re awesome. Asli you too… we’ve been through a lot, but I think I’m doing alright with the magnesium glycinate at 400mg on normal days, 800mg days when I need more help in avoiding a migraine due to too many stimuli like fluorescent lights and such. The magnesium at that dose seem to stop my migraines at a point just before they become insanely bad. I had a massive migraine starting on Friday when I ate some overripe fruit (pineapple may be a trigger for me) and a bagel and cream cheese (MSG?) so I have to be more careful. I do need to keep a food diary. Fingers crossed it’ll work out. It seems to be working thank goodness. I only took 200mg of B2 today and the mag. at 400mg and had a good day. Then again, I wasn’t at the office! :wink: I agree about anxiety though in contributing to the MAV. Let’s just try to let go of all of that … I think I should start meditating a little. But yes exercise does help a lot. Happy Easter! L xx

P.S. Claritin seems to help a lot btw. I have no idea why - but that in combo with magnesium and the other supplements to some degree seem to be a good combo for my symptoms. I can’t have foods high in histamines either without having a problem. Check this page out: Histamine Intolerance | Allergy UK | National Charity

Hi liv85. I’m wondering if perhaps you’re brain is just getting on top of this finally and that’s why you’re doing do well? I think the supplements take some time to help if they’re going to. Maybe it’s your own body working the magic? As the others have said though, take it easy. My doc wants me to do pretty much a year of being where you are before I try any of the food. Somebody mentioned picking at a scab? Don’t pick too hard!

Also, I think the B2 (at such a high dose) that upsets the stomach. I started that and the mag at the same time so I can’t be sure, but my belly wasn’t happy for a while. It settled after a few weeks though.

It’s great that you’re doing so well! Do take care!

Hi There! Yes I am doing MUCH better overall with the supplements. But I didn’t have b2 today and my stomach yes was better, but I had a bit of a headache coming on by the end of the day… So I may need to ensure I take a CoQ10 or maybe feverfew on top of the magnesium glycinate. And also follow an anti-migraine diet. I do cheat with a few things to make life more bearable with the MAV…I have the occasional chocolate and do like a glass of wine at night, and then I can sleep off the dizziness if it gets weird. :smile

I’ve had it for three years now almost to this next week. Around then. As you know, life changing. But I’m grateful for what it’s given me in some ways. I am very determined to get better… I rely on prayer to get me through the hard times.

Thankfully things seem to be improving massively by following a good diet, and NO caffeine as much as possible. Today I had an espresso and that ruined the latter part of the day, but I know I can feel really good when I don’t have high tyramine foods (like yogurt) and avoid other triggers in the anti-migraine diet. I hope you feel better too! We can all get better.

Honestly if I can feel better so that I can horseback ride without the medications and just on supplements, anyone can get better. I was really sick. I still have some pain behind my eyes sometimes but that’s nothing in comparison to the total head pressure I had before every day. I think that the key is to take supplements that are vasodilators and to avoid vasoconstricting foods , drinks, etc. xx

Hey Liv.

So glad you are going well. Forever may it continue!

Thanks so much, Asli. It’s so nice to be able to sit in restaurants again and do stuff without total dizziness…but it’s always in the background. I’m about 95% right now. The main thing is to keep the blood vessels in the head open as much possible and to avoid those vasoconstricting things like caffeine! (And tyramine?) anyway, I do take gabapentin occasionally still if I am confronted with a very stormy weather day which aggravates the symptoms. The gaba at the low dose 100mg 3x per day coupled with magnesium, b2 seem to be my golden ticket. But I don’t take gaba consistently, which doesn’t seem to be a big issue since the half life is short. I do like the drug a lot though. It also helps remove some of my anxiety due to mav since it relaxes me. The coQ10 is helpful too but it causes me to have some digestive issues, but maybe a lower dose would be OK…will keep experimenting! Keep feeling better too!! You will!!! xx