OT - Change in Time and Heart Attacks

I was reading in the New England Journal of Medicine just now that the results of a study show the following:

The change in daylight savings time, due to the stress on the chronobiological system, leads to an increase in heart attacks.

I hate that transition, takes me a good week to even start to feel normal. Something else to worry about this weekend. Not really, my heart is sound (i think :shock: )

But my dog’s is NOT - she has a heart murmur. Although since i’m feeding her this medicine of mine, she only coughed once today instead of ALL day long. You’d think she’d been smoking all her life. I think this stuff is helping her faster than it’s helping me!

JJ

I agree, the clock went back for us last week and I have felt much worse all week. It has a lot more effect on our bodies than we think!

Becky

I kinda like the ‘falling back’ thing. It’s the ‘springing forward’ that I have trouble with. Takes me a month or so to get acclimated.

If I may ask a delicate question, how old is your pooch, Julie?

She’s almost 15, Cocker Spaniel, so she’s getting to be that age. A heart murmur is not an unexpected thing to happen. Heart stretches out, valves don’t close properly, heart doesn’t pump properly, fluids back up into her lungs. She coughs like she’s been smoking all of her life. But not anymore!

Hey Jul :mrgreen: -

Guess what??? I have a 14 year old cocker also. In the last couple years he’s slowed way down. He has lost all of his hearing, and now his vision is starting to get poor. He follows me everywhere - sounds sad, but he’s pretty amazing!!! He’s my best bud - been through quite a lot with me over the years. Never complains, and always loves me!!!
Don’t know what I’d do without him. One more reason I’ve gotta get my hands on this stuff your taking!!! :smiley:

Kim

This is my second Cocker. We Cocker people are special, aren’t we? Nobody but a Cocker person knows how to be around them, and as a result, they get bit!

you have one healthy dog to just be slowing down in the last few months! Mine has been slowing down for a few years, of course that could be because of the murmur which was not diagnosed because i was in bed for a couple of years. (god how easy the guilt slips in - damn Catholic upbringing will kill ya!)

My first Cocker was deaf and blind. they adapt so well. He actually was happier blind - he wasn’t as afraid of the world. He was one scared dog. Afraid of men in hats, women with sunglasses and/or hats, my ex-husband, you name it. when he got blind, he actually ventured out into the world and made friends with people much more easily :!:

Yea, i think Maggie is ready to go on maintenance dose after day 4!!! Not one cough today! Not one!

I’ve got my Bartonella cat on it too. So in a month we’ll have her tested again and what do you want to bet she tests negative. I’ll put money on it. Any takers?

Kim, i’ll bet we could gab forever about our Cockers :slight_smile:

Julie

— Begin quote from “joy”

I kinda like the ‘falling back’ thing. It’s the ‘springing forward’ that I have trouble with. Takes me a month or so to get acclimated.
quote]

Here, here! :slight_smile:

— End quote

Think of it as a visual: FALLing back onto a nice soft fluffy mattress
vs.
SPRINGing forward violently into
noisy
oncoming
speeding
traffic.

Oy. And to think I felt pretty upbeat this morning. Who’d a thunk a graham cracker would give me a headache? (Be honest, joy, three graham crackers.)

And get this. So i’ve used this light therapy to get my circadian rhythm back to its normal state so i can sleep through the night. well the gov’t can’t legislate my circadian rhythm, right? So i may have set my clocks on the walls back, but my body clock is staying right where it is. I’m just getting up earlier, going to bed earlier :slight_smile: