OT - Virus warning for those in the US

I got TWO ecards today with no senders name and the email attached to them looked weird. So i deleted them although I was curious because there were a couple of people who they could have been from.

Later in the day my husband (who teaches psychology) got an email with the following content:

*NYU email is getting hit with another round of fake emails that
suggest one has rec’d an “email greeting card”

Dont click on the link, no matter how curious you are. The web link in
the email will either 1. open a web browser and try to compromise your
computer. Once you click on that link, you cannot stop the hack
attempt. Or 2. download a small program that will execute and then,
you guessed it, try to compromise your computer.

If the email were a real greeting card, you would see somewhere who
the email was from. If you dont recognize the sender name or email
address, you can assume its a fake and delete the email.*

And it’s not just NYU getting hit. I got hit twice.

just thought I would warn you guys.

Julie

We have been recieving warnings about that virus since last Friday where I work at. So yes, it is going all over the place.

i’ve been getting 2 to 3 bogus ecards a day - bastards :!:

A month ago i had to do a reinstall because of a virus and at the same time my credit card closed my account due to fraudulant charges, what a coincidence, hey?

Bastards :!:

On a related note, do you guys think the free antivirus ware (like firefox) is better than Norton? We’re up for renewal of Norton at home & I’m really thinking of talking the husband into switching from ol’ Norty to Firefox.

— Begin quote from “joy”

On a related note, do you guys think the free antivirus ware (like firefox) is better than Norton? We’re up for renewal of Norton at home & I’m really thinking of talking the husband into switching from ol’ Norty to Firefox.

— End quote

They’re not comparable - firefox is a browser (which is pretty secure ;)), norton is antivirus software.

I do definitely advice using other browsers - Firefox or Opera, rather than IE. There are a bunch of free antivirus software packages too, like http://free.avg.com/. :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “joy”

— End quote

Regarding Norton, most people I know advise against it because it can use a little too much of your computer. I used to advise McAfee, but recently they started renigging on their contracts based on a little sub clause in their license that says that they can terminate their contract at any time for no reason. I use AVG “free” version at home, along with most of my friends.

I’ll tell the husb to look into AVG. Thanks guys.