Pain

I have one really bad ear. It has been progressively worse for the last three years. The last several months have been really bad to the point where it hurts all the time. On an MRI, you can see inflammation…it hurts behind my ear, in the inner ear itself, and down the side of my neck. the tinnitus is off scale. Noise and wind make my ear ANGRY. I sleep 8 hours a night and sometimes an extra 6 or so during the day.

I do have MAV, but what this is I have no idea. I am going to MEI to see if they can figure it out and am awaiting the results of tests. ENG tests and MRIs didn’t used to bother me; now they make me lose a couple of days afterward while my ear goes crazy. What the heck is this? I’ve been telling myself for years that this condition isn’t going to kill me, but it feels like it actually might.

Does anyone else with MAV experience this kind of ear damage/pain/tinnitus? This ear is dying and trying to take me with it.

Actually Jenny used to try to tell me, and I would listen to her, that MAV can cause damage to the vestibular system, nerve damage, just like it can cause lesions in one’s brain. She’s in Australia and i think that’s the belief over there. Maybe it’s the believe here too. Anybody else know anything about this?

You said you’ve had this for a few years, and you’ve had ENGs and MRIs during this time - they were normal?

Julie

sometimes the eng was normal, sometimes not.
turns out, according to MEI, all the MRI’s I had were so lousy they were good for using as coffee coasters or good for proving I had a brain.

the new MRI is cool>>I can see the labyrinth and cochlea. awesome. it is still being read, so normal/abnormal, who knows.

after years of MAV, I feel damaged.

still wondering if anyone else experiences this kind of constant ear and neck pain.

Thornapple-

I have ear and neck pain, but its not constant. At times, to reach up and touch my ear, it literally feels like someone has kicked me there. For me, it comes and goes. (Like most of my symptoms).

My neck pain is the very same way. Usually lasts a day, and then disappears. My neck becomes very stiff, and literally sore to the touch. The last aura I had (a few months ago) left me with the “sore neck” thing. Again, it only lasted a day.

My visit in the beginning with an ENT was a waste of time. (Except I learned my hearing was ok). I split the minute they talked about the ENG. (I didn’t have it in me, and according to what they told me, it wasn’t going to accomplish much in diagnosing me with anything that could be treated.) So, I’m not much help there. Also, my MRI came back clear.

I have learned Migraine plays a HUGE part in the sinus trouble I’ve had all of my life. I believe I am somewhat of an “oddity” as far as that goes, but over time its all become pretty clear. I just wanted to say, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit, if what you are experiencing is all due to Migraine.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Kim

Guys,

sinus pain during migraine is documentable in scholarly journals. Kim, you ARE an oddity on this forum :wink: but not at all in the big bad world.

My migraine pain used to, when it was bad, always travel down my neck, so i wouldn’t be surprised about the neck pain.

The ear pain - let me do some research on that.

Thornapple - sorry, i know you’re looking for experiences and coming up empty. I’m wondering if Heather, if she’s still around, has or cares to say anything about this. She surely has the oddest symptoms on board. I remember her having cervical pain, but sure about her ears though. Come on Heather, you’d really like Thornapple - she takes after her name, with a sense of humor to match yours, right thorny?

Julie

Does anyone get pain in the top of their back and under their shoulder blades and along the top of their shoulders?

Becky x

Becky,

On both sides of your shoulders? I don’t, I’m just curious if it’s both sides. Also, no to the top of my head. Always, right sided, eye, going into the temple, moving into the head, down the neck, and i think that was it.

Julie

P.S. regarding the ear pain, it’s been so long since I’ve had a painful migraine, oh yea, i used to get ear pain!

— Begin quote from “Julie”

P.S. regarding the ear pain, it’s been so long since I’ve had a painful migraine, oh yea, i used to get ear pain!

— End quote

When and/or why did the pain go away? Just like that, or when you started a med (or the diet, etc)? :slight_smile:

Tran, i’ll get to you in a minute, i want to post this article re nerve damage

I found this in the Journal: Cephalgia

*Recent debate concerning the interpretation of studies of regional cerebral blood flow in migraine has re-emphasized that cerebral ischaemia may occur during attacks of migraine with aura. In this article we suggest that the presence of ischaemia during attacks makes it possible that migraine with aura causes neuronal damage in the long term. We argue that damage is likely to occur in the primary visual cortex, given that a recent high-resolution rCBF study has found flow reductions confined to this area. Furthermore, we hypothesize that the extent to which rCBF is reduced in migraine with aura is sufficient to cause damage only to GABA-ergic inhibitory interneurons in layer IV of this cortex. *

Doesn’t sound like we need to worry much about nerve damage.

Julie

I know I am joining this conversation late, but skimming through the posts, I may be repeating something already said.

That being said, I have constant neck pain, and intermitent ear pain. When everything started up, the ear pain was almost constant, but now it is only a warning sign. Like somebody else said, my neck pain gets so bad it feels like I have been kicked in the neck while trying to shoe a horse. When it is that bad, I have problems fighting off headaches. On it’s milder days, it just feels tight, like I was kicked by a horse a couple of weeks ago, and I am almost healed up. Seldom does the tightness go away.

Brian

Tran,

I had pain when I was a young adult. I’m 54 so that was over 30 years ago and all they had to offer was aspirin, codeine and some nasty abortives. i hated meds then as I do now so i would go into the dark, shades down, right side of head pushed into the pillow for hours on end.

But those were the years I was also panicking and was being medicated with Valium (Ah, the 70’s). As my migraines were stress driven, I believe, like the emotions that were driving my panic, which ran deep, my migraines got pushed even more deeply into my system via Valium. I quit Valium after 7 years due to the bad press it got, but by that time i started having aura without pain.

Alternative medicine thinkers believe that the reason a young child has such violent illnesses with high fevers is because they have so much energy in their systems. They are short and quick and do the job. As we grow older we have less energy to do the job that acute illness is meant to do. Instead we live longer lives but we’re stuck with these chronic illnesses.

You could say that my system doesn’t have enough energy to put out a painful migraine. All i can do is rock. It’s a way of thinking about it anyway.

I’m sorry that you’re still young and healthy enough to have headaches Tran :slight_smile:

BTW, my a-PSP is coming today, maybe THAT will give me a headache,

Julie

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

I know I am joining this conversation late, but skimming through the posts, I may be repeating something already said.

That being said, I have constant neck pain, and intermitent ear pain. When everything started up, the ear pain was almost constant, but now it is only a warning sign. Like somebody else said, my neck pain gets so bad it feels like I have been kicked in the neck while trying to shoe a horse. When it is that bad, I have problems fighting off headaches. On it’s milder days, it just feels tight, like I was kicked by a horse a couple of weeks ago, and I am almost healed up. Seldom does the tightness go away.

Brian

— End quote

Brian, do you shoe horses :?:

Well, i’m glad i kept searching, this one is by Baloh and shows positive results regarding damage to the ear (although his name is last on the list which means he really didn’t contribute anything, at most he supervised, or was in the same dept, or just in the same building :slight_smile:

**Can Migraine Damage the Inner Ear? **
Hyung Lee, MD, PhD; Ivan Lopez, PhD; Akira Ishiyama, MD; **Robert W. Baloh, MD **

Background Auditory and vestibular symptoms and signs are common in patients with migraine, yet little is known about the pathogenesis of these symptoms and signs.

Objective To perform clinicopathological correlation in a patient with migraine, sudden deafness, and delayed endolymphatic hydrops.

Methods A patient with long-standing migraine with aura developed sudden hearing loss in the left ear at the age of 50 years and Ménière disease on the right side at age 73. At age 76, he had a flurry of sudden drop attacks typical of otolithic crisis. He died of unrelated causes at age 81. The brain and temporal bones were removed approximately 24 hours after death. The cochlea and vestibular end organs were dissected after the surrounding bone was carefully removed.

Results The brain and cerebrovasculature were normal. The left cochlea showed prominent fibrosis consistent with an old infarction. The right inner ear showed hydrops, with relatively good preservation of the hair cells in the cochlea, saccular macule, and cristae of the semicircular canals. However, the utricular macule was denuded of hair cells.

**Conclusions **The sudden left-sided deafness likely resulted from ischemia, possibly due to migraine-associated vasospasm. Presumably, the right ear suffered only minimal damage when the patient was 50 years old, but this damage later led to the development of delayed endolymphatic hydrops on the right. Otolithic crises are thought to result from pressure changes across the utricular macule. We speculate that loss of hair cells in the utricular macule resulted from a collapse of the utricular membrane onto the macule.

From the Department of Neurology (Drs Lee and Baloh) and the Division of Surgery (Head and Neck) (Drs Lopez, Ishiyama, and Baloh), UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, Calif. Dr Lee is now with the Department of Neurology, Keimyung University, Taegu, South Korea.

Julie,

yes, I got it in both shoulders and under my shoulder blades and across the top of my back. I just wondered if anyone else gets this or if it is just little ol’ me.

Becky

Hi Becky,

I get it in both shoulders and between the shoulder blades, sometimes it travels down half my back. I get shooting pains up left side of neck and pins and needles in that region too. Most headache pain is in the occipital part of the head, the neck pain goes on for days sometimes.
Also, I get it in that bony lump on the back of the neck, hurts to press on it when heads are there.

Christine

Brian, do you shoe horses :?:

— End quote

No, but I’ve seen it done. Does that count?

:lol:

it counts, so you know of what you speak. next question: do you ride horses?

it counts, so you know of what you speak. next question: do you ride horses?

— End quote

I did a few times when I was a kid a relatives farms.

Ah, so you’ve been around horses…you know what a horses kick would feel like, yes?

when i used to have a life, i was an equestrian. I rode dressage. I couldn’t have thought of a better imagery than you did in describing the pain of a migraine. Thanks for going along with my questions. Getting kicked by a one ton animal is a nasty blow and if you live to tell about it you’re going to have one monster headache.

Julie :wink:

Julie,

I know the saying, and I have a good idea what it feels like to be kicked by horse. When I was in high school a friend of mine’s sister had a run in with a horse, and ended up in bed for a couple of months waiting for her ribs to heal. The pain I speak of would be nothing compared to what it would truly feel like to be “kicked by a horse,” but it makes for a great metaphore. :mrgreen:

I also know that horses have personalities, and a tempermental horse will let just about anybody ride him. Then there are the horses with a strong will, and I ended up halfway down the country road before the horse got bored and decided to walk back to the farm. :lol: