Periactin

Hi guys,

How many of you are on Periactin? Is it working? I know Vic appears to be going well on it.

I still have a box sitting in the house. I took one or two doses back when I was in bad shape and had just started a new job. It was not an ideal time to rate the efficacy of a drug trial.

I’ve had a really bad week post the trip to Cairns and diving. Sleep is a mess, I seem to be snoring now which is new and I think is affecting my daily symptoms. In short, it would be nice to have something knock me out for 8 hours but without heavy duty start up side effects.

On another note, how does one stop snoring? I have no idea why this suddenly started.

Anyway, just checking as Granot obviously loves this (and pizotifen) stuff.

S

Hmmm … found this from 16 months back:

“Interestingly, it was my three days on Periactin that finally stopped the VV. It seems like it interrupted whatever was in swing. Granot told me to dump Periactin for a while and reboot when the jacked up feeling was gone. To be honest, right now I don’t feel like rocking the boat. I have a clear head and I’m not dizzy.”

Even Granot said to leave it then. Another post showed my headaches went nuts. Any headaches from this stuff for you Vic? Nabeel, I think you are on it too yeah?

Peri worked wonders for 3 weeks but now my symptoms r creeping back up again. Gonna ask granot this Thursday if I should increase the dose or add topamax.

Hi Scott,
Dr Granot prescribed 4mg Periactin to add to the 100mg Dothep I’m currently taking. (I reduced from 125mg because of foggy brain & constipation). I’m only on 4mg Peri at present - the first week I had headaches which then calmed down. Now on my third week and noticed that my vertigo caused by head movements (looking down, up or sideways, etc) has improved quite a bit.
The visual vertigo is still being triggered by bright lights/noise. Went to the supermarket a couple of days ago - they’ve added flashing fairy lights to the mall outside the store. Massive migraine started before we’d even finished shopping.
But this last few days I’ve woken early (about 5ish) with tight band round forehead, sinus pains & nausea. It didn’t occur to me it might be the Periactin (Duh).
Sorry to hear you are still paying for your lovely snorkelling trip. Are you lying on your back when snoring? If you are, borrow your GF’s bra, put a couple of tennis balls in & wear it back to front!! Apparently it works wonders!!
Barb

Hey Scott,

I haven’t noticed any headaches from the Periactin. Headaches are generally the least of my worries and not debilitating. As far as I can tell the Periactin has been helping me but, as always, my progress is so slow that it could just be the passage of time. These days I am doing very well, although yesterday and today quite a lot of vertigo - not awful, but uncomfortable. Struggling to walk a straight line.

As for the snoring - have you been to the sleep clinic yet?

Vic

Bummer about the headaches Barb. I will no doubt have that as a start up effect. Not looking forward to that at all.

Nabeel – hope the Peri kicks in at a higher dose if that’s what Granot says to do. The grogginess sucks.

Vic – you are bullet proof to these meds!

S

— Begin quote from "scott"

Vic – you are bullet proof to these meds!

S

— End quote

Hmmm, not entirely. For months on Prothiaden I had bizarre visual hallucinations every morning- broken visual field followed by giant spiders crawling on the wall, dulled mood, loss of libido, weight gain… Paxil made me super angry and aggressive for a few weeks. I had horrific paradoxical reaction to Xanax… It just doesn’t occur to me to stop taking prescribed meds lol! Plus, the SEs are no competition for full blown migraine. I’d eat gravel and double in size on the promise of no migraine!

— Begin quote from "scott"

I’ve had a really bad week post the trip to Cairns and diving. Sleep is a mess, I seem to be snoring now which is new and I think is affecting my daily symptoms. In short, it would be nice to have something knock me out for 8 hours but without heavy duty start up side effects.

— End quote

Did the Nytol show up? Did you try it in order to get some sleep? x

I find Periactin great for sleep - 4 -8mg and off I go for hours and hours. Have a shocking “hangover” the next day though :frowning:

Hi Nabeel
I posted earlier that I had initially been getting headaches, nausea, etc. etc. after starting on Periactin 4mg which cleared after a couple of weeks. Dr Granot has advised going up to 12mg so added 2mg last night & have had a repeat of the migraine symptoms all day! Now I’m wondering whether it would be better to go up the 4mg each time to get to the 12mg dose. I don’t want to drag out the pain for longer than necessary!
What dose did you start at & how much did you up the dose each time? Have you seen Granot yet? Have you upped the dose or starting Topamax?
Barb

Barb

I started Periactin at 4mg and titrated up really fast to 12mg within a week. I titrated faster than what Granot recommended as I wanted to find out as soon as possible if the drug was going to work. Well I’ve been on 12mg for 2 months now with not much improvement. I saw Granot last week and he said to give it one more month and replace with topamax if I don’t see any further improvement.

I’m not sure if its a good idea to compare your titration schedule with mine. My symptoms are brain fog and cognitive dysfunction and daily wobbliness and heavy head pressure and rocking on a boat sensation when walking and visual snow. The headache says hello by early evening around 6pm.

I might up the dose to 16mg for this month and see what happens only so that when I quit I would have given the periactin its best chance to work. I did not give my previous medications a good chance to work so I don’t want to make the same mistake again.

Good Luck