Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep

I just skimmed the Dr. Silver handout, and came across the part about “restless legs,” which I’m sure he put in quotes because true restless leg syndrome happens when you’re awake, while periodic limb movements in sleep happen only when you’re asleep and unaware of it.

More good news for me: this is MIGRAINE related!

How is this good news? Because I’ve been worried that it might be an early sign of impending Parkinson’s, which runs in my family. So far there are no known associations between the two, but that didn’t mean there couldn’t be some day…

So I worried about it. It started coming on during early perimenopause, but I didn’t make the connection - it began a few years before the dizziness started, which was clearly triggered initially by some wild fluctuations in my hormone levels in the end stages of perimenopause. My husband has on occasion told me I’ve done a Rockettes routine in my sleep. (The Radio City Music Hall Rockettes are a high kicking dance group of long limbed ladies who are best known for their Christmas shows and fantastically synchronized multiple kicks in a row.) I never have any awareness of this kicking. I did want to be a Rockette (when I was a little girl, taking dancing lessons), but didn’t want to be one in bed asleep, and injure my husband (he’s not been badly injured…so far).

I did injure myself one time, and had a sore hip for 5 days.

That’s when I discussed the problem with my primary care physician, and he (interestingly) prescribed magnesium and calcium before bed, which has minimized the kicking but hasn’t eliminated it. It’s more jerking, less kicking now.

Anybody else doing the jerk in their sleep? (You have to have a bed partner to know!) :lol:

When I saw Dr Silver last week, he mentioned this - he was interested if it happened when I was awake or asleep. It does happen to me when awake, but apparently not when I’m asleep according to my better half (mind you he says I snore as well and a lady just doesn’t snore!!!). I think the reason it doen’t happen to me anymore when I’m asleep as I’m really conscious of how I lie in bed. Since all this started I have to stay flat on my back and turning in bed sets the dizzies off! :?

My sweetheart’s mentioned it, but also chewing movements. Still not certain whether this stuff indicates MAV hitting bad or whether it’s "ictal behavior"associated with seizure-type activity that may or may not be MAV–or even just me having some particular type of dream!

Hi All,
My husband has this and a touch of sleep aponea, his movments are very rythmic and happen every 23 or so seconds, it drives me nut’s and I feel like tying he’s tootsies together.
I have restless legs (like ants inside my bones) I feel the need to run a mile, due to it.
And yes I’ve have researched it before and it can be a part of migraine and sleep abnormalities.
oh the things we put up with,
David ,
Many people can have nocturnal siezures and chewing motion can be a sign of it, have you ever woken and have bitten your tongue, ouch!
Boy , I’ve read a lot of crap over the past 10 years.

jen

We are an interesting bunch, aren’t we? :o

One of the best shirts I ever bought was from a website that featured some migraine things, and it has no words but a cartoon drawing of a brain (colored green, which makes it even funnier) with a couple of band-aids applied in a cross formation, as if the brain has an owie.

:lol:

Thanks, Jen.
I’ll definitely ask my neuro about this when I see him on the 22nd. The complication is that he’s not an MAV man, though he’s been kept briefed. OTOH, my MAV man is loud on the point that he’s not a neuro . . . lah-de-dah.
No, I have not woken with a bitten tongue (my sweetie wouldn’t dare). Sounds extremely un-fun. On rare occasion I’ve woken with the inside of my cheek raw, and that’s unpleasant enough. Not in quite a long time, small blessings department.