Physical therapy?

I’m confused. I’ve read that people with “unstable” MAV shouldn’t do rehab because it can make things worse. How would I know that my MAV is stable? I only had one three day vicious vertigo attack three weeks ago. I did not have a headache. Since then i have chronic dizziness and disequilibrium. Does the fact that the true vertigo has passed mean that it’s stable? Or do I have to no longer be dizzy to start rehab?

I don’t know about starting rehab,but I have found that for me if I try to move as much as possible after things have died down a bit it is better long term for me.It kind of forces your brain and vestibular system to adapt.Just make sure that you perhaps have someone near by or don’t move around in an unsafe environment if you lose your balance and fall. Small steps can have big results. Guess I didn’t really answer your question,hopefully someone else who knows about this will come along.

I think stable means when things have settled to a kind of baseline, when you feel you aren’t in the throes of a relapse or things going worse on worse each day. When you feel like you can cope reasonably okay with turning your head etc. NOT when you don’t feel dizzy at all as you wouldn’t need to do it then because you would be better x

There are some different types of things called “physical therapy”. Things called “physical therapy” or exercise that involve moving parts of your body that are not your eyeballs or head = good. Or that seems to be the experience of many. Any physical movement you can manage comfortably and safely - even if it’s just some stretching or a walk around the block will generally help you feel better and “retrain” your balance and physical confidence with time. You might have to start very slowly, with a mate, experiment etc.

Physical therapy that is ‘VRT’, moving heads, eyeballs etc - the experiences seem to be a lot more mixed. It is clearly bad if you are in an acute vertigo spell but for those of us pretty constantly on a boat no matter what time and meds, some people seem to find it helps and any ugliness is short lived.

If your vertigo is well controlled with meds, the VRT exercises probably make it stay away longer. good luck xx

Hi there,

Physiotherapy or physical therapy has been key to me in keeping a significant trigger under control. Before I had this work done last December I was in a constant state of heightened migraine activity – for years and years. Recently I was on an extended overseas holiday. It was easily the best holiday I’ve ever had with only one minor episode of rotational vertigo most likely brought on by jet lag.

Like all health practitioners some physios are great, some average and some lousy. I’ve had them all. I found a great one last December and this guy has literally changed my life – the biggest impact since I first treated this with Cipramil nearly 10 years ago.

He basically uses a 4-stage approach:

1. brief massage of the outer neck muscles around the upper cervical spine
  2. releases trigger points at C2/C3 on both sides of my neck and also at the occiput region
  3. mobilises the joints where necessary by palpating them while I am face down on a massage type table
  4. teaches me exercises and things I can do on my own to manage it so that my neck stays mobile

Number 3 is the most painful because if you have had trigger points sitting there for years like I did, those joints haven’t moved with 100% range for years either. So mine do now and with that the nerves in the area are all calmed the hell down now. The result is a significant migraine trigger has been eliminated and I have a bigger range to move in. And so I can get away with a lot more.

Cheers