Prothiaden?

I see a lot of you are on prothiaden and doing well on it. I am not familiar with this drug. Is it sold in the US?

Hi Joli,

As far as I know it’s not available in the US any more. I wonder if you can have it shipped in from Australia? Prof Halmagyi at Royal Prince Alfred usually treats migraineurs with this one first off. Victoria got stunning results on it as I’m sure she’ll chime in. Like most meds, however, there are side effects that may be problematic such as weight gain and loss of your mojo.

Scott

I’ve been on prothiaden (Dothiepin/Dosulepin in UK) for about 8 years - originally for panic disorder and never really managed to get off it. It didn’t help my MAV though, although I only ever took 75-100mg as I got tachycardia when upping it to 150mg so had to lower it again.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I hed zero side effects at this dose (a bit sleepy in first few weeks) and actually lost weight on it. So we’re all different!

Must be worth a try

Dizzy Izzy

‘Stunning’ is a bit of an overstatement but yes, I got pretty much all better with Prothiaden (and Valium). I didn’t do the migraine diet (other than eliminating red wine, it is bad). I do try and keep to a strict sleep schedule but I often fail, mostly on weekends (the Prothiaden does actually make me very groggy and it’s hard to get out of bed unless I have to).

The down sides for me are the side effects of weight gain and loss of libido. That’s why I’m getting off it (otherwise I’d be happy to stay on it till I die) and, so far so good.

It is generally a fairly benign drug, that is the side effects are not awful (horrible suicidal thoughts or anything like that), it can be taken long term without doing you any harm and it interacts without problems for most other meds.

Can’t imagine why such a med would no longer be available in the US.

Vic

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

The down sides for me are the side effects of weight gain

— End quote

crikey Vic you must have been a skinny minny before prothiaden - remember you are supposed to be able to be seen when you turn sideways :lol:

— Begin quote from “lorcalon”

— Begin quote from “Victoria”

The down sides for me are the side effects of weight gain

— End quote

crikey Vic you must have been a skinny minny before prothiaden - remember you are supposed to be able to be seen when you turn sideways :lol:

— End quote

Oh, you. Stop it. :smiley: